Insurance for tourer

vix2000

Message added by CT Advertising,

Compare caravan insurance quotes and buy online for touring & static caravans

compareinsurance.pngCompare Caravan Insurance provides quality touring insurance, static insurance, park home insurance and leisure home insurance at competitive prices

www.compare-caravan-insurance.co.uk

Just been getting quotes for insurance, did a "compare the market" and they were nearly half the quote from the caravan & MH club, although I hadn't heard of any of the providers.  I am aware that "you get what you pay for", does anyone have any personal recommendations or advice please?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just switched, after many years, from Caravan Club cover to Happy Place (a part of Caravan Guard).  Significantly less expensive than the two clubs quoted me on an exact like for like basis.

Hopefully I won’t need to find out how good they are but Caravan Guard is one of the better known insurers.

They have a good reputation so should not be a problem. Do remember they want a hitch lock, as CAMH often do not. 

9 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

They have a good reputation so should not be a problem. Do remember they want a hitch lock, as CAMH often do not. 

I would think locks were a given with any insurance companies.

I swapped over to Eversure.  Before doing so, I had my previous caravan stolen, and for two years, I had to pay £700 each year.  I decided to ring Eversure based on what people on this site were saying about them.  I explained to them exactly what had happened, and they said they understood and quoted £217.  I did reiterate to them about what had happened to my previous caravan, and they said yes, they understood.  The majority of insurance companies I rang, including CAMH, to which I was a member, said they would not insure me.  Its awful, when you had done what the insurance company at the time had told me to do.  This is what happens to victims

I am sure that some insurers use the fact that someone has suffered a theft etc in the past as a reason (with no logical basis) to hike the premium to a ludicrous level.  What are the chances of someone having two caravans stolen within a few years??  

I am with Caravan Guard, certainly not the cheapest, but nowhere near the cost of some! They have a decent reputation as well, unlike some of the ones I have never heard of, or quote premiums less than 50% of what I am currently paying. 

Always remember......

”You don’t get what you don’t pay for”  and that’s especially true for things like caravan insurance.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Plodd, the insurance companies are masters of understanding risk and statistics.

They aren't refusing insurance because they don't want to take your money. It's because their algorithms highlight the added risk.

A stolen caravan probably means a shiny new one sitting at the same place waiting for the same visitors...

Just like you are much more at risk after a house burglary because 6 months later your house is full of brand new valuables!!

That's why it's important not to claim gratuitously.

Does your theory extend to a car insurer who wanted to hike my premium at renewal because my car had been struck while parked and unattended outside my sons house by a neighbour reversing out at speed? The other drivers insurer paid out with no quibble, but my insurer insisted that because I had been involved in a no fault claim I was statistically more likely to be involved in an at fault claim in the future :blink:.

I asked to see the stats that was based on “Sorry, commercially sensitive information” was the response! Yeah right!

I moved insurer, and wasn’t charged any extra.   

1 minute ago, Readingblue said:

The statistics don't lie.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

On 10/10/2021 at 15:41, Babstreefern said:

I would think locks were a given with any insurance companies.

I swapped over to Eversure.  Before doing so, I had my previous caravan stolen, and for two years, I had to pay £700 each year.  I decided to ring Eversure based on what people on this site were saying about them.  I explained to them exactly what had happened, and they said they understood and quoted £217.  I did reiterate to them about what had happened to my previous caravan, and they said yes, they understood.  The majority of insurance companies I rang, including CAMH, to which I was a member, said they would not insure me.  Its awful, when you had done what the insurance company at the time had told me to do.  This is what happens to victims

Locks are required by all insurers but the actual and type number varies so you do have to be aware of the requirements when changing insurer.

If you have had a theft there does seem to be a problem in getting cover, any insurer will look at what has been done to increase the security and decide if they are willing to take the risk. They have got very reluctant to re insure in many cases though. 

1 hour ago, Wildwood said:

Locks are required by all insurers but the actual and type number varies so you do have to be aware of the requirements when changing insurer.

If you have had a theft there does seem to be a problem in getting cover, any insurer will look at what has been done to increase the security and decide if they are willing to take the risk. They have got very reluctant to re insure in many cases though. 

CMC for us demand one item of security which can be alarm, wheel lock or hitch lock (maybe others eg tracker?)

I fell out with Caravanguard (or was it safeguard or both) because during a service, the dealer wouldn't put the wheel lock on so the insurance was invalidated. This was checked with the insurance companies.

CMC also give you 72 hours at home out of storage for loading and unloading. 

In my view most have a get out for high risk situations. Just when you need insurance. Not CMC though.

• 2 weeks later...

Just changed from Club Care insurance, (£257 this year, up from last year £189. Despite the storage facility changing to electronic phone operated gates and being upgraded from Silver to Gold CASSOA status.) I've gone to CASSOA insurance which quoted me £184.

Incidentally, I've just got off the computer after renewing my house insurance. Current insurer, (Santander) wanted to up the renewal price to £446, (despite no claims at all). I went onto Go Compare and got better insurance from LV for £235. Despite phone calls, neither house nor caravan insurers wanted to try to price match. I'm sure there will be the same old "insurance dance" next year.

I am paying just a few pence  over £100 for household insurance with LV, thats buildings (3 bed semi) and contents but no accidental damage just fire and theft cover as with no small children or pets around accidental damage isn’t really much of a risk. 

I have just  been looking at the caravan ins. and the market value the ins. give is a lot lower than the caravans are selling for.  My van is selling for £18k and £19k at different dealers and also a private sale. Talking to an ins. agent she said that  I can insure it for higher if I want to, I said that I was looking at what the market value was, not what  glasses guide says  which is very different

I've been with CG since we first had our own caravan (early 90s) and I have not only always found them very competitive but you can actually talk to them - after all they are in Halifax so easily understood!

As for the dealer that would not fit the wheel lock during service - he has no need to as once the caravan is in his care (and presumably secure parking) it is covered by his insurance so CG should have nowt to do wi' it!

27 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

As for the dealer that would not fit the wheel lock during service - he has no need to as once the caravan is in his care (and presumably secure parking) it is covered by his insurance so CG should have nowt to do wi' it!

Thats a very dangerous assumption to make! Not all dealers insurance covers such things. Check on the paperwork in respect of dealers T’s & C’s  the important words are “Left (or stored) at the owners risk”

If in doubt get it in writing from the dealer that any caravan left in their custody is covered against theft (and fire!) on their (not your) insurance.,

13 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Thats a very dangerous assumption to make! Not all dealers insurance covers such things. Check on the paperwork in respect of dealers T’s & C’s  the important words are “Left (or stored) at the owners risk”

If in doubt get it in writing from the dealer that any caravan left in their custody is covered against theft (and fire!) on their (not your) insurance.,

I have to agree, I had a similar conversation with a company near to where we live from whom we had bought our caravan.

When I took the caravan for a service they pointed out that in their T&C’s that the caravan was left at the owners risk, so I said if it is my risk then they needed to fit the hitch lock and set the alarm, they declined so I removed the caravan and have used a mobile service engineer ever since.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

17 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I am paying just a few pence  over £100 for household insurance with LV, thats buildings (3 bed semi) and contents but no accidental damage just fire and theft cover as with no small children or pets around accidental damage isn’t really much of a risk. 

I had never had any experience of actually dealing with LV until a car driven by a man insured with them hit my car. Given their reputation I was baffled by their complete refusal to pay most of my uninsured losses telling me they did not pay these and refusing, even when I told them what I had done for a living, and could prove they were wrong. Only after I threatened them with a small claims summons did they just cave in and pay my claim. On that basis when they came up on a search engine with a very competitive quote I opted for a company charging more. Frankly my experience has put me off them probably for ever.

As for a wheel clamp one company working on  our caravan actually asked if I had one as they would fit it if I wanted.

My experience is the polar opposite! I got them involved when a readymix  concrete lorry decided he wanted the lane on the roundabout I was already occupying. His insurer refused to pay out and kept telling me I was in the wrong lane. Once LV got involved everything got sorted very smoothly, no excess to lay, no loss of NCD etc. 

Bizarre how two experiences can be so different isnt it? 

Possibly the difference was you were insured with them so they looked after you. I was insured elsewhere and was claiming off them and they took a far harder attitude, in fact it was more like they hoped I would just go away and only dealt correctly when they realised that I was not going away and were sure I knew what I was talking about. 

Hi All

Just been advised by Caravan Guard they want a Tracker fitting on my 4 year old Coachman if I want to insure new for old as new price is now over £30k.

Had a quote from the Club of £550 just wondering if any one has any other insurance to recommend.

My  choice would be NFUM I worked for them but they wont insure on new for old after 3 years old and wont insure  a 7ft 7inch wide van only 7ft 6inch. The later reason is why I had to change

Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Richard 

1 hour ago, Land said:

.....My  choice would be NFUM I worked for them but they wont insure on new for old after 3 years old and wont insure  a 7ft 7inch wide van only 7ft 6inch.

I wonder if their 7' 6" maxmum is a relic from the old previous UK legal width limit of 2.3 metres not realising the now current limit of 2.55 metres.

I say this as a while back we discussed on here the fact that some motor insurers, SAGA for one with whom I was insured, were stating that 2.3 metres was the maximum width towed trailer that was covered on their motor insurance policies, I had just changed to an 8 footer.

After conversations with their department explaining that the maximum legal width had changed from 2.3 to 2.55 metres, they agreed that they would cover me for towing my caravan providing that current legislation was satisfied.

Just a thought.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

Caravan Guard are worth a try, been with them for a good few years now.