Remis Tilt 'n' Slide Roof Light- Some issues.

I have a Remis Tilt 'n' Slide Roof Light in my 2005 Autocruise Valentine.  I never knew it slid open until I consulted an expert, its stuck solid.  Now I want to make it slide open.  It doesn't move.  I have sprayed some WD40 on the bits that look like they need to be able to slide.  I am hoping with some concerted jiggling I can get it to move. 

Any tips on how to free it up?

If I can move it i think I can replace the disgusting rubber seals more easily.  They have turned into something resembling sticky crude oil.  Nasty.

Any tips on replacing these seals?  What to get or where to get them?

This roof light needs some love. The bits that hold the blinds are very UV damaged and I am thinking about making a new fancy bit of facia out of wood to replace the junky old thing that is up there now.  It will be a work in progress.  It's almost impossible to get spares for this roof vent now, sadly.

I went to see said experts to see if they could replace the old roof light with a new one but it really wasn't cheap.  So I am inclined to try to sort it out myself.

Any comments would be welcome.

Seals from here ..........https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/ventilation/caravan-roof-vent/remis-rooflights-and-spare-parts/remis-remitop-tilt-and-slide-caravan-rooflight-and-spare-parts/sealing-rubber-for-remis-rooflights

Reasonable prices and fast delivery.

Freeing the slides is a long winded process, you need to spray the rails with a degreaser often over a few days to soften all the muck and old lubricant then gently work them back and forward, applying more degreaser as needed until they move the full distance taking care to pull it squarely.

It may take a few days.

Removing the old rubbers is a pain, they will be sticky and decomposed, remove as much as you can, then it is essential to remove all the old rubber out of the locating groves, a thin screwdriver and time will do it, then with sone old rags and turps clean all traces of the sticky mess off the frame, especially the groves, a squirt of silicone spray not wd40 will help with fitting the seals.

Good luck.

Posted (edited)

Good tips!...Thanks.  I think leisureshopsD sell a kit with a plastic thingy in it and the seals which pushes the cost up so I was looking for just the seals.  But thanks for that, I like these people, a good company to deal with.

I found that isopropyl alcohol and also a solvent used by double glazing people does a good job of dissolving the remains of the old seal but right now access to the groove is tricky as I can't open the window up.  Check with the silicon lube not WD40 on the new seals.  Good call.

Also check with the de-greaser.  I will give some of that a go too.  Wilco sell a good one for bikes, it's cheap and works well.  It also smells of lemons.

Looking forward to sliding my tilt n slide!

Edited by Sub-Bass Camper

Thanks for that, I have seen these seals before but its good getting it confirmed this is what I need

So I got the slides free and managed to open up the window, I have now cleaned out all the oily junk that was the old seals.  

However.........the roof light has started to crack!

Waaaaa.

I was really careful and I can't see how I broke it, so perhaps there was already a crack waiting to go with an unusual bit of pressure applied.  It seems to be getting bigger quite fast.   I hope it stops and doesn't leak....obviously.

Anybody know how to fix cracks in these things or where to get a new one from, it seems like they big time not available anymore.   What is it actually made from anyway, perspex, acrylic or something else?

So I think it's probably acrylic.  The crack is a game changer.  I was going to fix it up but now as I almost certainly cannot get a new lid for it, I am going to have to get another whole new window probably. 

As its a very important part of the van it's worth getting it sorted out properly I think So I am one step away from just getting a pro to sort it out.

Perhaps not if I can do a good repair on the lid.

The worse crack is on the inside plastic sheet.  The one on the outside doesn't seem to go all the way through and it has probably grown to it's maximum as its run out of window to creep through.  I will take some pictures of it and post them.

So I am wondering if I can successfully repair the crack, or at least buy myself some time until I can find a new lid or something. I have been looking at various methods, the clumsy and dubious "using a soldering iron to melt over the crack", drilling a hole at the end of the crack and then filling it with something (silicon?), using cyno acryllate (super glue), or acrylic solvent/glue.

Any comments on acrylic window repair?

One option might be to explore getting a heki vent that fits the same size roof hole, This is going to be a £500 solution whether you find a new remi replacement  or use an alternative brand - they are all expensive.

Yes, we have been quoted for a new Remis Vario 2 to be installed and its about that much, a bit more actually.  That said, it's probably worth it getting a pro to stick in a new one.  This one has really had it.  The reason I was messing about with in the first place is because its borderline scrap anyway and I was aware of how its impossible to get bits for it.  Better that it has gone here at home than when we are away in it.

I am going to book it in pretty soon to the van hospital.

You could try Caravan Medic Swindon, he fitted a 600x900 Vario 2 to my van for £615 all in, but that was 5 years ago.

OOh interesting....I will look them up, I am going to try to get at least another quote.

Is the vario 2 a good skylight?

Mine is the big one (900 x 600) and it is heavy to wind up when opening so need to provide some lift with the spare hand.

I have two more, smaller, Vario 2s in the van and they are easy to operate.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a new Heki 2 Deluxe skylight fitted by the pros.  It all great and they did a really good job.  

But.

I noticed that is no rubber seals around the top of the frame where the window sits down on.

I have read that you can get two types of Heki roof lights. 

Permanently ventilated and they have no rubber seals and sealed, which do have rubber seals.  As I understand it, the sealed version of their windows are for motor-homes because the seals cuts down on wind noise.  The unsealed sky-lights are for caravans as they are supposed to allow air to circulate and reduce damp.

I have had a look at Heki 2 skylights and I can't find any with rubber seals, perhaps it just refers to the smaller sky-lights they do and not the big ones.  Apparently they were fitted with brushes in the past but they stopped using them a long time ago.

Do I need to be concerned that the guys have fitted the wrong skylight or am I being paranoid and the skylight they fitted is supposed to be without seals around the top?

I am not sure I want to know.......

Does anybody want to buy my old roof light bits?