Nose weight

John cunniff

Hi does anyone know what the nose weight is on my single axle 2011 hobby 560 excellent 

Thanks john

Could be anything depending on how you load the caravan. Your car and its towbar will have a max limit but not the caravan. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

8 hours ago, WispMan said:

Could be anything depending on how you load the caravan. Your car and its towbar will have a max limit but not the caravan. 

The caravan will have a max limit, too. In most cases it will be 100kg, but you need to check the weight plate to be sure.

Noseweight will vary all the time according to what you put in the van and where you put it.

Maybe you mean the noseweight ex-works ie when empty.

However that is something manufacturers generally do not publish. In over 40 years and many new vans, I have never seen a noseweight for the empty van published.

The only way to determine what it is at any time (empty or loaded) is to use a noseweight gauge or a set of bathroom scales with a piece of wood upright into the hitch and onto the bed of the scales.

Generally, there will be 3 references to noseweight for any outfit. The car will have a maximum specified by the manufacturer, the towbar will have a maximum specified by the towbar manufacturer and the van will have a maximum determined by the chassis manufacturer. You should use the lowest of those 3 as the maximum for your outfit which should not be exceeded.

Edited by hp100425ev

10 hours ago, John cunniff said:

Hi does anyone know what the nose weight is on my single axle 2011 hobby 560 excellent 

Thanks john

The noseweight limit for the caravan will be determined primarily by the limit of the hitch mechanism, and any restriction imposed by the design of the a-frame of the chassis. The noseweight limit of your caravan is set at 168kg but this may be restricted by a lower limit determined by the towing vehicle or its towbar.

The actual noseweight can of course be set by the way in which you distribute the loads within your caravan.

image.png

The following information is taken from page 56 of the 2011 Hobby sales brochure:-

Year 2011

Model 560 cfe

Overall length incl. drawbar 762cm

Body length with cylinder box in 644cm

Interior length with window bench in 609cm

Overall width 250cm

Interior width 237cm

Overall height 260cm

Inside headroom 195cm

Technically permissible gross weight 1600kg (MTPLM)

Weight in travel-ready state 1432kg (MIRO)

Number of axles 1

Noseweight 168kg

For a fee the MTPLM  may be increased to 1750kg

2011 Hobby 560 Spec.jpg

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Thanks john

Have you searched online? Within a few minutes I found a 2011 Hobby brochure and established the fitted tow hitch to be a Winterhoff WS 3000. The Winterhoff instructions (also online as a PDF document) show a maximum static load of 150kg. However, as Lutz says, check the caravan's plate which displays the weights as it may be reduced to 100kg.

There are three static load (nose weight) maximum limits to take into account - the trailer hitch head, the tow bar and the tow vehicle manufacturer's. The lowest of the 3 maximum weights is the one you should not exceed.

Edited by Legal Eagle

Thanks john

To avoid any misunderstanding,  some caravan makers used to advertise/promote their vans by stating a noseweight which would've been the actual noseweight of the van, probably in MIRO state or possibly when totally empty. The problem with that was it wasn't consistent in any way at all, with large variations between identical models and, of course it altered as soon as anything was loaded on board. In reality, unless your particular example was lucky enough to have an identical noseweight to the brochure and you towed the van empty a great deal of the time, the information was relatively useless. So actual noseweights gradually disappeared from most manufacturer's brochures.

What you do see these days is the noseweight limit, which is the maximum weight that should be put through the hitch. As others have said though the maximum for any rig is the lowest limit that the car maker and caravan manufacturer set and often it's the car limits that are operable not the caravan's.  

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

25 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

There are three static load (nose weight) maximum limits to take into account - the trailer hitch head, the tow bar and the tow vehicle manufacturer's. The lowest of the 3 maximum weights is the one you should not exceed.

You have missed the fourth, the limit of the chassis.

Both my last two vans have had hitches rated at 150 kgs but the chassis limited to 100kgs. Thus, the hitch limit can't be exploited even with my vehicle that also has a 150kg nose weight capability.

Possibly of more constructive use to the OP is to recommend they use as high a nose weight as the tow vehicle can stand, but not exceed 100kgs.

Running at high nose weights generally improves towing stability, and realistically no van like theirs will have less than a 100 kg rated hitch or chassis.

23 minutes ago, JTQ said:

You have missed the fourth, the limit of the chassis.

That is why I specifically referred to the fact that the trailer manufacturer may reduce the hitch static load. It still remains at three weights. Trailer, tow bar and tow car. A reduction because of the trailer chassis is applied to the trailer hitch maximum not as a seperate consideration. You won't find two static load weights (chassis & hitch) displayed on your caravan plate!

As I said you will find hitches have an "S" rating marked on them  [nose weight]. In our case marked as 150 kgs.

Plus, as our 2008 caravan, no nose weight value given on the VIN plate. 

I however know the caravan's original specification, had a 100 kgs nose weight limit.

I don't know if a 2011 Hobby has or has not the nose weight limit on its VIN plate.

But clearly, there is potential to make a mistake if it has not, and they have not, as I have, the benefit of knowing the original specification.

The statutory plate will list the Max vertical force on the coupler as or 0 - ??? Kg

The caravan manufacturers nose weight will far outweigh the towing car's capability and you should therefore use the towing vehicle nose weight when loading the caravan

Not in my case, car 150kg limit, caravan hitch 100kg.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

:Plus1:, except the hitch is rated at 150kgs but the chassis just 100kgs.

and re the VIN plate giving the nose weight, that is only true in more recent years.

Edited by JTQ

Simply put aim to use whichever is lower-our car tow hitch is 140kg-and the van 150 so 140 max. Most caravans are 100kg max-sweeping statement I know so if we pulled our old Bailey Pegasus we'd be going for 100kg max nose weight on the van and the car would have plenty spare capacity!

The OP originally posted on Thursday evening, appeared to log in for a look on Friday morning, but hasn't clarified if he's talking about the caravan's published empty noseweight ot its noseweight limit.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.