New tow car

dobbo

Hi we’ve got the opportunity to get a motability car our van is a Cabrera 1532 mtlm I was thinking Kuga but any other recommendations 

thanks

dobbo

It needs a bit more Info to help people advise. Petrol or diesel, manual or auto, 2wd or 4wd, saloon, hatch, estate, pick up, suv etc etc. Budget? Everyone has different thoughts but only you know what is best for you. 

Basically you will find your towing mileage is very small and more spasmodic than your normal driving so you need a car that suits your everyday life first and a tow car second. There is nothing wrong with the Kuga as a tow car and it is well regarded although I have not checked the towing ratio, so you need to do this. 

Basically just about every manufacturer makes a similar model, and which you take is a matter of personal choice and possibly cost,  if you  are looking at the Kuga style of car.  

Hi

diesel

automatic 

not to worried about anything else 

1 hour ago, 664DaveS said:

Sorento?

Can’t see that on motability

Look on Kia website.They may be able to help.

They do a diesel auto (only 1 model) rest are hybrids. 

I was looking as we may look at changing Santa Fe. Hyundai dropped diesel.

It actually mentions motability under offers. Not applicable to us.

A diesel auto would do us fine too.

Edited by 664DaveS

The Ford Kuga 2-litre diesel auto is available in 4WD format which should add weight-the only fly in the ointment would be availability because of the continuing issue with semi conductors which could be an issue with most new cars not held in stock.

Edited by charlieboy2608

Getting anything suitable new from stock will be challenging. There were some new Tiguans around last week and some Toyota RAV4 PHEVs are available on 2-3 weeks delivery.

Pal picked up his new Kuga hybrid yesterday,  ordered only a few weeks ago. 

The lower spec plug in hybrid won’t tow a Cabrera. He had one and traded it in for a Discovery 4-4 but if loaded to its MTPLM will be 8 kg over the Kuga’s limit ;)

8764C7D8-CDDF-4F39-B623-5777A818D98B.png

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

MrPlodd-am I missing something?

The OP asked for recommendations that are diesel powered and automatic transmission.

The Kuga plug-ins are automatic but use the 2.5-litre petrol engine....

I was responding to Flatcoat888 post where he mentioned PHEV.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Hi I have a new kuga 2ltr Diesel MHev  on order was told 12 to 14 weeks delivery . I tow a swift 480 1500 kg with a Mondeo Diesel max towing 1800kg the kuga has max of 1900kg . The Mondeo is a great tow car so I have high hopes for the kuga

Think it will be a kuga have been told by ford next March at the earliest 

36 minutes ago, swiftelegance said:

Hi I have a new kuga 2ltr Diesel MHev  on order was told 12 to 14 weeks delivery . I tow a swift 480 1500 kg with a Mondeo Diesel max towing 1800kg the kuga has max of 1900kg . The Mondeo is a great tow car so I have high hopes for the kuga

We have the new Kuga 2-litre diesel mHEV towing a 1500kg Compass Casita 554 (MTPLM upgrade) and can confirm it tows very well :-)

Has anyone got the factory fitted tow bar that folds away

11 minutes ago, dobbo said:

Has anyone got the factory fitted tow bar that folds away

I have a fixed AL-KO towball/structure plus 13 pin electrics fitted by a local company who I have used since I started towing.

Well went for the Ford Kuga 2.0 EcoBlue 190 Titanium Edition 5dr Auto AWD factory fitted Towbar 

but have to wait till March 2022 😢

Nice car, will be there just in time for the new season

Duncam 

1 hour ago, dobbo said:

Well went for the Ford Kuga 2.0 EcoBlue 190 Titanium Edition 5dr Auto AWD factory fitted Towbar 

I've got exactly the same  car on order since 2nd June 2021. still dunno when it's going to come, the dealer still hasn't got a build month allocated. - it was originally scheduled for delivery on 7th Sept (2021;))

Although I really like my S-max's I fancied a change after having four over the past 12 years. We dont tend to cart the kids and grandkids around as much as we used to so dont need as much space.

The Skoda Kodiaq 2.0TDi DSG 4x4 is available on Motability.

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

On 03/10/2021 at 11:48, dobbo said:

Anyone else tow with one of these 

• 1 month later...
On 03/10/2021 at 13:14, alicanto grande said:

I've got exactly the same  car on order since 2nd June 2021. still dunno when it's going to come, the dealer still hasn't got a build month allocated. - it was originally scheduled for delivery on 7th Sept (2021;))

Although I really like my S-max's I fancied a change after having four over the past 12 years. We dont tend to cart the kids and grandkids around as much as we used to so dont need as much space.

Hi have you had delivery of your car yet 

No, not even sure that I'll get it this side of Christmas. The dealer hasn't got any build info yet.

If I was a suspicious/cynical person I'd think that they are putting all their efforts and components into Hybrids and BEVs in preference to diesel/petrol to keep certain sectors happy.

The proble is that the "cost to change" gap between my S-Max and the Kuga is probably going to start to widen quite significantly to longer it drags out. If it gets too wide I'll just keep the S-max.

Thanks for letting me know 👍🏻