New to Statics - thermostat and decking questions please

Christech

Hi All

We have just purchased our first static :D and are going through the available options, but are not sure about a couple of things. We would appreciate the benefit of your advice please: -

• Is there much benefit in having a wireless thermostat instead of a wired one?
  • Can you recommend the best thing for decking to protect dogs paws in hot weather?

Many thanks.

Chris

Edited by Christech

1 hour ago, Christech said:

Is there much benefit in having a wireless thermostat instead of a wired one?

The main benefit of a wireless thermostat is the ability to position it where you like, eg if you are in the lounge and want a set temperature then position the wireless unit in the lounge, if dining in the kitchen place it in the kitchen and so on.....

Depending on the model in question you also get benefits like controlling your heating from anywhere, seeing statistics and recommendations, performance, setting more flexible timer programs etc. 

You can also place them next to your sofa and easily adjust the heating and see the temperature so has accessibility benefits.

The downsides (after the price), depending on your preferences, can be complexity! or should I say over complex and perplexing to use. It also requires batteries of course.

I would be happy with a fixed thermostat as long as I had thermostatic rad valves too. It all depends on your layout to some degree too. I have a wireless one but its fixed on a wall lol :P

Cheers, Martin

Decking is normally timber so I don't see how they can affect dogs paws in hot weather. Can you tell us why it should affect them? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

53 minutes ago, Martin said:

The main benefit of a wireless thermostat is the ability to position it where you like, eg if you are in the lounge and want a set temperature then position the wireless unit in the lounge, if dining in the kitchen place it in the kitchen and so on.....

Depending on the model in question you also get benefits like controlling your heating from anywhere, seeing statistics and recommendations, performance, setting more flexible timer programs etc. 

You can also place them next to your sofa and easily adjust the heating and see the temperature so has accessibility benefits.

The downsides (after the price), depending on your preferences, can be complexity! or should I say over complex and perplexing to use. It also requires batteries of course.

I would be happy with a fixed thermostat as long as I had thermostatic rad valves too. It all depends on your layout to some degree too. I have a wireless one but its fixed on a wall lol :P

Thanks Martin. Sounds like it isn't worth it for us ;)

19 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Decking is normally timber so I don't see how they can affect dogs paws in hot weather. Can you tell us why it should affect them? 

The static decking will be uPVC or composite, so we are a bit concerned about our pooch in hot weather....

Edited by Christech

We are having a verandah installed with composite flooring and have 2 dogs to consider.   

I have asked other owners if their decking gets too hot.

Some say no, others find theirs too hot for their own feet let alone the dogs.  It depends on the aspect - and when the sun comes around.  Solutions vary from spare carpet to sponge tiles.   At our park whatever is used needs to be easily put away when units are left unattended.  I have some weavetex groundsheets which were used in our touring caravan awning and were soft touch and very breathable.  I'll try the weavetex if necessary. 

I used a roll of artificial grass on our metal decking.

Not only was it cool for the dogs to walk on,it stopped all the "clip clop,clip clop".lol20160319_122303.jpg.278f9c9e298dab008f0c5ed46c43c41d.jpg

14 minutes ago, George&Ade said:

I used a roll of artificial grass on our metal decking.

Not only was it cool for the dogs to walk on,it stopped all the "clip clop,clip clop".lol20160319_122303.jpg.278f9c9e298dab008f0c5ed46c43c41d.jpg

Yes, the clattering can get on your wick a bit! :D

I was the first one on our site(about 120 statics) to use artificial grass.

Within about 6 months,approx. 30 vans had followed suit also.

• 3 months later...

If your site has Wi-Fi  or you have  your own Wi-Fi  you can add a Hive thermostat, then you can turn the heating on from your phone before you arrive.

It makes all the difference, arriving on a Friday night to a cosy caravan.

The installation is normally a like for like swap on to the existing backplate.

On 30/09/2021 at 16:32, WispMan said:

Our wooden decking gets so hot even I cannot walk on it! But we do live in Portugal.

Wooden decking is not allowed on all sites.   Likewise wooden frameworks, superstructures, ballustrades, gates, ramps etc.  Apparently insurers see it as a fire risk so site owners work it into the license conditions. 

22 minutes ago, CJ1149 said:

Wooden decking is not allowed on all sites.   Likewise wooden frameworks, superstructures, ballustrades, gates, ramps etc.  Apparently insurers see it as a fire risk so site owners work it into the license conditions. 

Yet the gas bottles just outside the (wood framed) static are OK....

Absolutely valid point 2seaside.

But I guess decking etc is a more manageable risk on sites where communal, metered gas supplies aren't available or viable.   Some sites are now going down the communal metered supply route when they expand/develop.