Cleaning caravan sides

Ok .. just looked at  a video for auto glym caravan cleaner .. I’ve tried everything but my van is still covered in horrendous black steaks and looks as dull as dish water ..

Is this stuff as good as they say .. I really want to shine up my van .. also can it be used neat as I’ve no water in my storage yard 

Cheers

No wash will make you van shine if its grotty, you will need to wash it and then give it a good polish. 

that is your only hope. then a good wash and wax regularly will keep it looking good.

Danny

Auto glym super resin polish and a lot of elbow work.

Works for me.

21 hours ago, locker14 said:

Ok .. just looked at  a video for auto glym caravan cleaner .. I’ve tried everything but my van is still covered in horrendous black steaks and looks as dull as dish water ..

Is this stuff as good as they say .. I really want to shine up my van .. also can it be used neat as I’ve no water in my storage yard 

Cheers

Autoglym Caravan cleaner is a great product, and one of our official recommendations for aftercare, but what you are trying to achieve isn't possible with this product. 

The problem you have is you're trying to shine up a Caravan with a product that's designed to clean it, and that's not possible.  

Depending on what Caravan you have and it's age, the job could be a DIY job with certain products, or it might have to be left to a professional to get the shine back.  Once the original shine is back on your Caravan, then you can use things like Autoglym Caravan cleaner to clean it, but at the moment, you are just wasting your money and the product you are using I'm afraid. 

• 1 month later...
On 30/09/2021 at 11:30, robertB said:

Auto glym super resin polish and a lot of elbow work.

Works for me.

Works for me also, it has a mild cut and makes short work of black streaks. Also takes care of your windows if they are less than perfect. Top it off with Autoglym EGP sealant.

But why use a lot of elbow work when you don't have to? This is why man invented labour saving devices!

Buying a variable speed polisher was one of the best things I ever purchased. Several large vehicles, two caravans (one a twin axle), plus boat in the family, it's impossible to do without and was only £40. Brand Silverline, it's a Makita clone and even came with spare brushes.

Muck-Off from Halfords bike section. Intended as a bike cleaner (they do a caravan version as well but its even more expensive) you just spray it on (I agitate it with a long arm car wash brush) and leave for a minute or so  then rinse off or better still remove it with the long arm brush again but wet this time (even better if it has the ability for your water hose to run through it.) You may need a little aggression but it certainly shifts the streaks!

9 hours ago, Woodentop said:

Muck-Off from Halfords bike section. Intended as a bike cleaner (they do a caravan version as well but its even more expensive) you just spray it on (I agitate it with a long arm car wash brush) and leave for a minute or so  then rinse off or better still remove it with the long arm brush again but wet this time (even better if it has the ability for your water hose to run through it.) You may need a little aggression but it certainly shifts the streaks!

I used to use Muck Off and rate it highly, but I found it far better to use good old TFR which is cheap and effective applied with the snow foam attachment for the power washer. Simply can't use a hand trigger pump because of the area to cover.

If there's no water at your storage like ours take your aquaroll home and fill it, buy a Worx cordless pressure washer and it sucks up water to squirt on the van-unlike a plugged in one it isn't too strong and is has always been fine on our van-so bucket of water and shampoo, wash roof rinse with worx, same with sides and front and back then polish with autoglym SRP. I really don't rate Autoglym supergloss protection so then use either a good hybrid wax eg Bilt Hamber speed wax-hard work, or Carplan number 1 topgloss every 3 months-now that is really good and really easy to apply!

Stardrops works for me. Use it neat on water stains. If really desperate then Elbow grease on stubborn stains. I splashed fat once from an electric hot pan. I didn't notice at the time but within a couple of weeks it had turned black. I use T-Cut on scratches. I hate polishing cars so wouldn't not want to do it on a plastic caravan.

Edited by PaulHo
spelling mistakes

13 hours ago, limecc said:

Works for me also, it has a mild cut and makes short work of black streaks. Also takes care of your windows if they are less than perfect. Top it off with Autoglym EGP sealant.

But why use a lot of elbow work when you don't have to? This is why man invented labour saving devices!

Buying a variable speed polisher was one of the best things I ever purchased. Several large vehicles, two caravans (one a twin axle), plus boat in the family, it's impossible to do without and was only £40. Brand Silverline, it's a Makita clone and even came with spare brushes.

I find the polishing machines (admittedly not used variable) a bit harsh for the thin caravan paint  and I have plenty of time on my hands so don't mind doing it manually

we have used Fenwicks since we started caravanning, just use a capful in the bucket and use neat to get rid of the black marks.  Make sure you clean the roof as very often the black marks is the dirt coming off the roof.   We even used it to get tar off the van once , caused by travelling on a newly tarred road.

1 hour ago, robertB said:

I find the polishing machines (admittedly not used variable) a bit harsh for the thin caravan paint  and I have plenty of time on my hands so don't mind doing it manually

With power comes responsibility. There's different sponges and compounds and it's possible to do damage if some numpty uses a polisher gung ho. Being sensible is the key. Slow it right down so it's like you are doing it by hand but the machine does the work. Whether someone's got the time is irrelevant, I don't like developing repetitive strain injury and would sooner be doing something else.

As lime says=It also depends what you are applying and what backing pad you're applying your chosen polish with, with machine-not harsh if as limecc says you take your time and use a very fine polishing compound-definitely nothing other than finest to get the black grime off-and if you have deep scratches that#s another matter!

If you can afford it then pay Tourershine to work their magic on it. 

57 minutes ago, limecc said:

With power comes responsibility. There's different sponges and compounds and it's possible to do damage if some numpty uses a polisher gung ho. Being sensible is the key. Slow it right down so it's like you are doing it by hand but the machine does the work. Whether someone's got the time is irrelevant, I don't like developing repetitive strain injury and would sooner be doing something else.

Agreed, speed, pressure, the correct grade sponge and compound to match each other and the job in hand, the correct speed and direction of travel over the paint, read the instructions and all should be OK

However the two favourite hurdles many fall at is the extra £2 or so for a plant misting spray to give the work area a frequently light mist, usually in the instructions, this reduces heat and prevents the compound drying and lumping on the sponge the other keeping everything scrupulously clean,