A/C condensate dripping off roof

Question if I may....

Do any of you good folks have a roof mounted A/C unit and if so, when it has been operating for some time do you have experience of condensate (which is discharged onto the roof) trickling off the roof during use?

Or does it all evaporate before running off?

I ask because we will soon be having our last pre-build meeting for our Inos caravan and I am planning to have a condensate drain I have made installed and wondered how hard to push if the design team are reluctant.

Thanks.

I've had one and the condensation runs off the roof to the lowest point, so depending on how level it is the condensation can be a nuisance or not. A drain would be a good idea but I doubt is practical when you consider the wind forces at 70 mph in a storm etc. We just put up with it, it mostly came to the front and down the windscreen, but not always.

Edited by Ex-Gasman

I have had a MH with roof mounted air-con. Cant say I ever even noticed where any condensate ran off! It’s not as if they produce gallons of the stuff. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Had two caravans fitted with aircon units, a Dometic B1900S on our previous model and a Truma Aventa Comfort on our current.

In high temperatures after running for sometime, condensate found/finds its way along the roof outside normally running down a rear corner.

Seen it also happening on a good few others fitted with aircon on site.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

Our aircon does produce condensate but its rarely noticeable unless working hard. How soon and where it runs off is a good indication of how well you have levelled the van!!

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Thanks. Condensate drain it is for this self confessed OCD caravan tinkerer.

30 minutes ago, Ukzero said:

Thanks. Condensate drain it is for this self confessed OCD caravan tinkerer.

Out of interest then, where exactly are you planning this drain run? 

Will it be built into the roof and wall mouldings to exit underneath the caravan?  As, I assume, the roof and sides are separate mouldings, so will require separate tubes, how will you ensure an efficient seal between the two lengths at the joint? If that’s the plan then just hope it never gets blocked, or there are no low spots where water can collect during the summer, remain, and possibly freeze over the winter :( Unlikely I know, but by no means an impossible scenario so one that should be considered.

Is it located in a length of cable like trunking on the outside, if so does will it just go to the edge of the roof and stop, or does it go down the side/rear? 

Just curious. 

Edited by Mr Plodd

There is a bulkhead between the kitchen and the bedroom which has a box section for mains sockets etc. This is close to the AC unit on the roof. 

I have made a small flange and solvent welded it to a 2.4m length of 21.5mm overflow pipe. 

This would drop from the top of the roof right down through the floor. No bends and no joins (I don't regard a well welded solvent joint as a join). This can be rodded easily. 

The flange on the rooftop is then sealed and for good measure clamped down by two stainless penny washers /screws also sealed. 

I will then ensure that the existing seal around the AC unit is to my satisfaction and then using 6mm tall  upvc fillet create a low dam around the AC. If water collects it will flow down my pipe and out under the van. 

Material cost about £6 in total. 

Only concern is that the van has underfloor heating so will need to miss pipes going through the floor. 

Did I mention I might be a bit OCD? 😁

You have ckearly git it all sorted! 

I was just curious as to how it was engineered so thanks for explaining it all.

Spent  over three and a half hours with two of the Inos designers going over the fine detail of our build this morning.

They were very helpful and proactive.

And a very small part of the outcome is that the condensate drain pipe I made up will be fitted and they are happy to do it :)

It's nice to see that the huge cost of the Inos is matched by the personal service.