Overnight at Bilbao docks

This has been covered before  but can a regular traveller remind me of the best time to arrive for a morning grossing the following  day.

Thanks

They used to open check-in between about 4 and 7 so you can park up dockside which feels a bit more secure.

Have a look on BF website or give em a call.

Outside check-in also looks pretty secure.

When are you traveling? I thought BF had abandoned Bilbao for a while?

Hi David,

BF website says;

"PARKING

The port car park is available for short and long-stay parking including parking overnight. There are disabled parking spaces and spaces for caravans and motorhomes. Your vehicle is parked at your own risk. Toilet facilities are not available overnight."

Whenever I have inquired the 'rule' has been that you should arrive after any scheduled departures for that day but as they don't sail every day I guess anytime is OK. 

Know a guy who spent two days there last year after problems meant he couldn't make his Santander crossing.

Hope you have had a good holiday?!!

Last week we arrived at 19.00 for the following morning crossing and parked up in the lines approaching the check-in booths.  There were half a dozen other caravans/motor homes already there and a few arrived after us.

If you arrive at the check in booth queue at the time when checking in stops (about 1/2 hour before departure time) of the last ferry of the day, the check in staff usually check in some morning travellers before going off shift. This puts your outfit in the secure car park overnight. They normally marshal you into every other lane to make it a bit quieter and spacious. Alternatively, you can arrive at the booth after the staff have finished and stay there for the night. We have done both.

On 25/09/2021 at 11:25, David in Cheshire said:

can a regular traveller remind me of the best time to arrive for a morning grossing the following  day.

I've overnighted several times at Bilbao docks - usually at the end of February.     I aim to arrived at around 15.30 on the day before the following morning sailing.   Check in stays opens for about 3 hours from  4pm, then it closes till morning.   If you manage to check in during the afternoon, you spend the night in the loading lines.  

However, during next winter all Portsmouth/Spain sailings are using Santander - where overnight parking isn't allowed.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

• 3 weeks later...

Update

Arrived at the check in at 15:45 7th October but was not allowed to check in until 7:30 following morning. A person who challenged it was tolds variously it was due to Covid or Brexit, he rang BF about the misinformation on their website but got no sensible answer. However  were about 20 others and we had a quiet night in the queue