Fuel - shortage of delivery drivers

ChertseyMike

In that latest, probably self fulfilling, crisis apparently we've not got enough lorry drivers to deliver fuel to garage forecourts.

My other half had to queue for 30 minutes to fill up today. 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may get worse across the country, time will tell.

But the media make my blood boil, scaremongering with over the top headlines, resulting in the inevitable panic buying that the UK is becoming used to.

Theres been massive shortages in building materials, plus huge price increases, for months yet it hardly gets a mention in the news.

And we on here all know about bottled gas too.

Queuing at my local Morrisons.

They won't let customers who are shopping then getting fuel into filling station.

Only cars from main road queue getting in.

There is no fuel shortage so the title is wrong. 

There is no fuel shortage. 

Admin comment:

Thread title corrected

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Completely agree BMB.  The media always sets it all off.  I went for fuel this morning after doing my shopping, and no trouble at all.  I bet all the battery powered car owners are grinning all the way past though:lol:

3 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

Completely agree BMB.  The media always sets it all off.  I went for fuel this morning after doing my shopping, and no trouble at all.  I bet all the battery powered car owners are grinning all the way past though:lol:

True haha!

Now thinking how long would it take me to get to our next destination using only the mover (stopping to re-charge enroute a few times too) lol :lol:

Edited by BM Bairn

Agreed that the media hype this kind of thing up and if they are not actually creating the problem, they are certainly making it worse.

I had to queue for about 15 minutes this morning to get diesel - because my tank was almost empty, not because I was panic buying!  Car in front fills up his tank, then opens his boot and pulls out several cans and proceeds to fill them up.  The charitable view could be that he has a gardening business and needs lots of petrol for his mowers; the other possibility could have been that he is precisely the kind of idiot causing this problem.

The usual way to calm this sort of situation down is to lay on extra deliveries to assuage the panic. Trouble is that this time it's the shortage of drivers that's caused the shortages, so there isn't the capacity to get on top of the issue and so it becomes self fulfilling. 

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

3 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

The usual way to calm this sort of situation down is to lay on extra deliveries to assuage the panic. Trouble is that this time it's the shortage of drivers that's caused the shortages, so there isn't the capacity to get on top of the issue and so it becomes self fulfilling. 

:goodpost:

The army will step in if needed.

1 minute ago, hp100425ev said:

They are already busy helping Wee Krankie driving ambulances.

56 minutes ago, WispMan said:

but they say it often enough in the media that people panic, rush to the garage to fill up and then we have a  shortage, just like what happened with the toilet rolls a couple of years ago......lemmings

With a little over 30m cars, and each, say, filling up with 20 litres and say 20% doing it, then over 100m litres will be needed for the panic. 

This will create an actual shortage, if not already. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

31 minutes ago, joanie said:

but they say it often enough in the media that people panic, rush to the garage to fill up and then we have a  shortage, just like what happened with the toilet rolls a couple of years ago......lemmings

The only saving grace is that most people have limited ability to stockpile fuel, for most people having a full tank is about the limit (of course some numpty will buy all of the petrol cans they can find, hopefully for no good reason). Unlike toilet paper where stockpiling a year's supply only took up half of the spare room.

Finally a positive for the EV drivers amongst us, what fuel shortage, what forecourts ?? :P

Oh but wait. ....... there is an energy price crisis too :unsure:

Cheers, Martin

1 minute ago, Martin said:

finally a positive for the EV drivers amongst us, what fuel shortage, what forecourts ?? :P

Oh but wait. ....... there is an energy price crisis too :unsure:

Yeah, when some 40% of electricity is generated by burning natural gas I wouldn't get too comfortable with the current situation 🙂

You could see the looks of horror and hate on the faces when I went to the garage today and filled up three cans with petrol.  if looks could kill I'd be dead.  

Fact is we are holding a charity archery competition this weekend on behalf of Cancer UK and British heart foundation.  No petrol = No generator = No competition = no cash for the charities.  

3 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

Interesting that.

The LGV qualified regular soldiers have regular army driving duties to do and the Territorial army drivers are probably mostly civvy drivers anyway. So we reduce the number of civvy lorry drivers and retask them but add no overall capacity and the army has to make do  with no drivers but add to the civvy capability. Mmmm

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

4 hours ago, WispMan said:

There soon will be.

... Our local Tesco had three folks in hi Vis managing an endless queue of cars.

THREE employees directing traffic at a fuel station which for half the day is normally un-manned!!!

Called in to Sainsburys at Worle to fill up, as I had less than a quarter tank. Few minutes in the queue. Not much different to normal.

All filled up. That will sort me for another few weeks!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

No queues on the coast road in N Wales today, other than at temporary traffic lights  😐 

Seriously though, the media have a helluva lot to answer for over this and other commodity panics such as toilet rolls. This morning there was  an interview on BBC at a petrol station in Stockport with the boss offering gloom and doom, but no queue in the background.  Lo and behold within an hour or so they had a big queue. What does that tell you? 

Edited by MalH

11 minutes ago, PR1 said:

Called in to Sainsburys at Worle to fill up, as I had less than a quarter tank. Few minutes in the queue. Not much different to normal.

All filled up. That will sort me for another few weeks!

You should have gone earlier, that’s when all the “Ooo I only do 20 mikes a week so I had better add 5 litres to make sure my tank is full to the brim just in case”  Morons were queueing round the block! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

image.jpeg.fca8b2aad4f69285101e99c8b4ba13f4.jpeg

lets all rush to the pub 😂 

No one was panicking until the Government told us not to!

5 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

You should have gone earlier, that’s when all the “Ooo I only do 20 mikes a week so I had better add 5 litres to make sure my tank is full to the brim just in case”  Morons were queueing round the block! 

20 Mike's a week. Some stamina

• Gordon changed the title to Fuel - shortage of delivery drivers
  • Steven locked this topic