Hyundai nose weight limit.

Jimlaine

Hello folks, 

We have recently bought another tow car which doesn't currently have a towbar fitted but we have booked it in for a fitting on 11th October, my question is how do i find out what the official nose weight limit will be please? 

I'm asking just so i can judge the right amount when we eventually hitch it up! 

The new to us towcar is a 2010 Hyundai Santa fe 2.2 CRDI Premium 194bhp 6- speed manual 4WD, the car comes within the recommended 85 % on the outfit matching service and power ratios etc are all good, although our van is not really pertinent to our question it is a 2007 Bailey Senator series 5, 4-berth. 

I'm presuming the info I'm after would come from Hyundai data rather than the towbar fitting company themselves? 

Thanks for any ideas forthcoming! 

Best wishes, 

Jim. 

Should be shown in the car handbook.

Update - Just seen something on line from Hyundai that stated noseweight limit 100kg for manual 80 kg for automatic. I can’t understand why there should be a difference between auto and manual for noseweight. Towing capacity -yes thats understandable, but noseweight?.

Edited by hp100425ev

I had one and the nose weight was 100 kg for the manual and 80kg for the auto.

Asked Hyundai for the reason but no oine could tell me.

Discussed at some length here but (long answer short) according to a Hyundai UK customer service wallah back in 2012…

…maximum nose weight for the Manual is 100KG and 80KG for the Automatic. the reason for the difference is that the automatic gearbox is heavier than the manual gearbox.

I remember reading that the difference was due to Hyundai not really understanding the rules/laws/question.
They have much higher limits in other country's I believe. Not that that will help as the plated limit is law here.
Not sure what year they made a change but my 2014 auto has a 100kg limit, again not helpful in this case I know 

You need to know the lightest hitch limit between caravan and car and not exceed that, so the caravan's limit is pertinent. The towbar will have a weight limit stamped on it too.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

24 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

You need to know the lightest hitch limit between caravan and car and not exceed that, so the caravan's limit is pertinent. The towbar will have a weight limit stamped on it too.

I would say go for the max nose weight the manufacturer specifies for the car in question, provided it doesn't exceed the nose weight for the caravan.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Always a debatable point and if you check the towing spec of versions of the same or nearly the same model for different countries you will see quite a variance.

eg The Australian 2019 Santa Fe with a 2.0 T-GDI engine has a 'maximum permissible static vertical  load on hitching device' i.e towball of 226kgs!

https://letstowthat.com/hyundai-santa-fe-towing-capacity/

1 hour ago, The road toad said:

Always a debatable point and if you check the towing spec of versions of the same or nearly the same model for different countries you will see quite a variance.

eg The Australian 2019 Santa Fe with a 2.0 T-GDI engine has a 'maximum permissible static vertical  load on hitching device' i.e towball of 226kgs!

https://letstowthat.com/hyundai-santa-fe-towing-capacity/

Australian Hyundai cars are made in Korea and probably to an Australian specification with heavy duty panels for the towbar mounting points. Road conditions in Oz are much poorer in certain areas.

Edit:  The model you refer to has a tow weight of 2267kg  and hitch loads were10% i.e. 226kg but later models have much lower weights.

Edited by beejay

It’s based on a percentage of the cars towing weight.

The auto is 2000kg and the manual is 2500kg I think.

Was told this by someone who worked for Hyundai.

The two cars are identical apart from the gearboxes.

It was changed so that both were 100kg in 2011 after complaints from customers.

Duncan

Thanks ever so much for your input everyone! 

I spent quite a long time talking to the chap who is actually going to fit the towbar when i went to book it in, (I already had the qoute for the cost when i phoned them a few days beforehand) having taken the car there and he had a small frame with a tow ball attached to it that sits on the floor for working out where the ball is actually going to be once fitted because i was worried about how it was going to affect the parking sensors in the rear bumper, they were very thorough in discussing with me how i want the electrics set up etc etc and i forgot to actually enquire about the nose weight issue, but looking at your answers it seems to me that it would be a case of going by the figures that Hyundai quote for my particular model and the weight that the actual towbar is capable of handling then judging what would be about right i think...... The fitter i was talking to actually had the instructions/paperwork applicable to my car as to how the towbar should be properly fitted and spent quite a long time rolling around under the car sussing everything out (Very thorough) i'm presuming these would be recommendations from Hyundai themselves so perhaps it will be just a case of going by the figures that Hyundai qoute for my model of car as it may well be fitted to their specification perhaps.........Not forgetting the nose weight limit on the caravan A frame too of course!

Very helpful everyone, thank you! 

Best wishes, 

Jim.

.... Just to add that's quite interesting about the different nose weights depending on the gearbox! 

Edited by Jimlaine

Jim

I may be wrong, but I get the drift from what you've written that you're looking an actual amount to have as noseweight i.e a definitive weight. It doesn't actually work like that. What you have are limits i.e maximums. So there isn't a definitive amount. You take the lowest limit of those limits involved and that's the most that the hitch should weigh but you can use less if you wish.

True, that generally the heavier the hitch, the more comfortable the tow. Industry advice is that the weight can be anywhere between 5 % and 7% of the caravan's actual weight, so quite a range. A van weighing 1500kg has a range of 75kg to 105kg on that basis and may well feel fine at 75kg, but you may find it's better at 90kg and obviously you can't go over 100kg if that's the lowest limit on your rig.   

1 hour ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Jim

I may be wrong, but I get the drift from what you've written that you're looking an actual amount to have as noseweight i.e a definitive weight. It doesn't actually work like that. What you have are limits i.e maximums. So there isn't a definitive amount. You take the lowest limit of those limits involved and that's the most that the hitch should weigh but you can use less if you wish.

True, that generally the heavier the hitch, the more comfortable the tow. Industry advice is that the weight can be anywhere between 5 % and 7% of the caravan's actual weight, so quite a range. A van weighing 1500kg has a range of 75kg to 105kg on that basis and may well feel fine at 75kg, but you may find it's better at 90kg and obviously you can't go over 100kg if that's the lowest limit on your rig.   

Hi steamdrivenAndy! 

Thank you........ It's ok, i realise there is an upper limit and a lower limit and i did see the recommendation of between 5 and 7% before we first started towing (Not that long ago actually, I'm still a novice really!) so with our previous towcar which was an old WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee the nose weight limit was 110kg and i used a noseweight gauge to shift stuff around in the 'van and set it around 90kg and it seemed ok, the 'van is 1500kg with payload. 

As you say i believe the more weight on the hitch the more stable it should be but i wouldn't like to go to the maximum on purpose so It seems like a bit of a balancing act! Literally! Lol! 

Anyway, i really just wanted to know how to find out the limits as it will be an aftermarket fitting so to speak but it looks like it would just be a case of going by the car manufacturers figures as if it was a factory fitted tow bar i guess! Thanks ever so much! 

Best wishes, 

Jim. 

You may find that the tow ball will have a sticker on it saying 100kg regardless of the model.

(Ours did) 

The tow ball manufacturer probably only makes 1 tow ball for the  car.

As I said the two cars are identical on everything apart from the towing / nose weight limit and these are based on the gearbox and nothing to do with structural capabilities 

Duncan

35 minutes ago, DUNCAN123 said:

You may find that the tow ball will have a sticker on it saying 100kg regardless of the model.

(Ours did) 

As I said the two cars are identical on everything apart from the towing / nose weight limit and these are based on the gearbox and nothing to do with structural capabilities 

Duncan

Thanks Duncan! 

Best wishes, 

Jim. 

I believe that, like the hitch on the caravan, the towbar has an 'S' amount forged into it and that's the maximum weight for that towbar. The car maker will have a maximum nosewight limit too, which may, or may not coincide. Which ever, it's the lowest limit that counts. As D123 says towballs themselves are probably all the same and they can probably take a lot more weight than any limit. It's the towbar frame and the car's structure, attachments, braking, cooling and transmission strength etc that all contribute to the limits imposed.  

SDA is correct. There are three static load (noseweight) limits to take into account - the trailer tow hitch, the car manufacturer and the tow bar (on it's type approval plate). It is the lowest of those weights that will apply.

3 hours ago, DUNCAN123 said:

(Ours did) 

Duncan

Did you mean the towbar has a 100kg sticker.  Towballs are rated/stamped 3500kg.

1 hour ago, beejay said:

Did you mean the towbar has a 100kg sticker.  Towballs are rated/stamped 3500kg.

When we had the 2011 Santa Fe  the tow ball had a sticker on it that said

S=100kg

it had another figure that I can’t remember too 

It was a strange anomaly that model of Santa Fe nose weight, apparently someone at Hyundai had specified that it should be a percentage of the cars overall towing weight which was decided by the gearbox.

When the car was given a mild face lift in 2012 prior to being replaced by the newer model the auto was given a 100kg nose weight but the max towing weight stayed the same and there were no structural changes to the car 
Duncan

6 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

SDA is correct. There are three static load (noseweight) limits to take into account - the trailer tow hitch, the car manufacturer and the tow bar (on it's type approval plate). It is the lowest of those weights that will apply.

Makes sense! Thank you 👍

I tow a 1700kg van with a 2012 Santa Fe manual premium. They tow VERY well and is still recognised even now as one of the best 2nd hand tow cars you can buy. It’s 100kg nose weight and 2500kg total weight on the manual and 80kg nose/2000kg total on the auto one. 

1 hour ago, Pembssurfer said:

It’s 100kg nose weight and 2500kg total weight on the manual and 80kg nose/2000kg total on the auto one. 

All models, (manual & auto), post 2010, have a 100kg noseweight.