Used Caravan Prices

PhilLees

Hi guy's,

This year seems to be the year for selling nearly new vans with all its kit, fairly obvious why they bought them and now why they're selling them. No problem with that, they've given it a try but prefer alternative holidays.

My reason for this post though is regards the selling prices they are asking, and more worrying, people thinking it's a great price.

Example: Swift van, 2019, paid £20500. Selling for £20000 with awning etc. 

Looks a lovely van as it's hardly been used. But have people forgotten, or maybe they're unaware that the Manufacturer's Warranty drops massively for its second owner ? This van will also come with no Dealer's Warranty. Surely you'd want the security of the bodywork warranty for as long as possible if your paying basically the new price ? Yes it comes with all extras, but these aren't likey to cause you an expensive headache if they go wrong.

Any, that's my thoughts.

Phil.

There is no doubt that “staycations “ pushed up prices on second hand vans. 
There is strong evidence that many are now trying to get shot of their van. But there still seems to be strong demand for vans, so prices are staying high. 
I doubt this will change much for at least another year. 
As for warranty. It seems many entered the world of caravans without any research or knowledge, and the loss of warranty is one casualty. 

If you choose to buy at the moment you pay the current price. Prices may drop sometime next year or even later but that is no use if you need to buy now.  My feeling is that there will be plenty coming back on the market next year and prices will drop, if you can wait until then I would but there is no guarantee I am  correct.

1 hour ago, Wildwood said:

If you choose to buy at the moment you pay the current price. Prices may drop sometime next year or even later but that is no use if you need to buy now.  My feeling is that there will be plenty coming back on the market next year and prices will drop, if you can wait until then I would but there is no guarantee I am  correct.

I do note, however, that one of my local dealers has considerably more vans in now than he did a few months ago.  That does not mean, of course, that prices will drop as quickly as van numbers increase.  Indeed, prices may never get back down to pre-covid levels!!

1 hour ago, SamD said:

I do note, however, that one of my local dealers has considerably more vans in now than he did a few months ago.  That does not mean, of course, that prices will drop as quickly as van numbers increase.  Indeed, prices may never get back down to pre-covid levels!!

Last time I looked, Robinsons appeared to be shuffling two used vans, zero new vans and a few sold vans around to make their yard look full… Lowdham's group appears right now to have just five used vans (including a £76,795 Airstream…  

Our recent search for an almost new caravan was hard work.  

I've booked our car in to have a tow bar fitted next week so making progress on buying a caravan. Going to try to advertise our little camper this weekend.

I've noticed a lot more second hand vans for sale in the category we're looking at. I think the advertised prices are still pretty high but seen quite a few which have dropped the price and are still being advertised.

We're not in a hurry, if covid allows we're planning 3 weeks motorhoming in NZ next year. Failing that 2 or 3 weeks on the West coast America is our backup plan.

I don't understand why most people were surprised by the sudden increase in prices. The warning signs were there for any-one to see, if they cared to look. E.G. the sudden increase in interest, & therefore prices, at auctions such as Measham In April/May 2019 on-wards. Even though closed to all but on-line offers the prices went through the roof. Unseen 'vans & m/hs were fetching silly prices for rubbish condition. Good condition were fetching unbelievable prices. Definitely the right time to sell!

I was astounded when my 2018 Swift Elegance 530 was valued at nearly 23K present market value last month (assessor's market price for insurance claim). When I insured it last March it's market value was £20300, & the year before it was valued at £1K less!!

Because of the increase the in value the damage to the 'van is now deemed economically repairable rather than a wright-off as it would have been. Dooogh! I could have repaired it myself for less than £1K + a good few hours labour & made excellent  use of the £Ks compensation LOL.

Next year (or even later this year) will see the start of price-falls, with the year after being something of a disaster for those that bought at the top of the market & try to sell at the bottom. But such is life.

3 minutes ago, micktheshed said:

Next year (or even later this year) will see the start of price-falls, with the year after being something of a disaster for those that bought at the top of the market & try to sell at the bottom. But such is life.

For most  of us though,  unlike first time buyers and last time sellers, as long as the actual cost to change remains reasonably steady, it matters little whether prices are high or low.  

2 hours ago, ChertseyMike said:

I've booked our car in to have a tow bar fitted next week so making progress on buying a caravan. Going to try to advertise our little camper this weekend.

I've noticed a lot more second hand vans for sale in the category we're looking at. I think the advertised prices are still pretty high but seen quite a few which have dropped the price and are still being advertised.

We're not in a hurry, if covid allows we're planning 3 weeks motorhoming in NZ next year. Failing that 2 or 3 weeks on the West coast America is our backup plan.

Avoid ebay for selling your camper if you're selling it privately. I've heard they've increased their cut from any sale. 

2 hours ago, Ironeddie said:

Avoid ebay for selling your camper if you're selling it privately. I've heard they've increased their cut from any sale. 

Yeah, I'll try gumtree and the Facebook group for the Hiace Campers. Hopefully between those two I should be fine.

If we ever happen to meet remind me to show you my selfie with Bruce Dickinson. He used to drink in one of the locals I used to drink in and knew one of my mates pretty well.

One thing I am fairly sure of is:-

Anyone trying to 2nd guess the used market in caravans over the next 6, 12 or 24 months is likely to get it wrong. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

18 hours ago, ChertseyMike said:

Yeah, I'll try gumtree and the Facebook group for the Hiace Campers. Hopefully between those two I should be fine.

If we ever happen to meet remind me to show you my selfie with Bruce Dickinson. He used to drink in one of the locals I used to drink in and knew one of my mates pretty well.

Awesome.  Closest I've ever got to Maiden was the mother of a friend of a girl I dated had been married to I think Steve Harris and she had one of the bands display records. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just been eyeing up a 2017 Lunar Venus 620/6 for sale on auto trader. It's listed for £16950. It's a tidy looking van in the layout we want. 

All looking quite interesting until I checked a review of it from 2018 and spotted the original RRP of £17999.

Surely that is taking the proverbial. It's hardly any worse than the interest rate in my savings account! A 4 year old caravan losing £1000 in value, presumably no manufacturer warranty (given Lunar are no longer in operation...). Most likely needs a new set of tyres etc.

But can you find one cheaper? If not, then that is the market price. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Surely that is taking the proverbial. It's hardly any worse than the interest rate in my savings account! A 4 year old caravan losing £1000 in value, presumably no manufacturer warranty (given Lunar are no longer in operation...). Most likely needs a new set of tyres etc

If it was you selling a caravan what would you do? Sell it below the market rate? It is very simple, no one is forcing anyone to buy it. Like anything else It will sell for what someone is prepared to pay for it. Supply and demand. 

As I said above, I have the luxury of waiting out the market. I was simply pointing out how hopelessly distorted the market is at the moment, or perhaps, how hopelessly distorted the dealers hopes it is. The market price is what someone will pay for it, not what the dealer is advertising it at.

I personally have no interest in buying a caravan from a manufacturer which no longer exists for 95% of the as new price. If that is the best kind of deal which comes available then I'll save up some more and put an order in for a new caravan in 2023.

We bought our 2008 Sterling Eccles Topaz 3 years ago for £5000.

Just seen this one for sale at £8995!