Lucky White Heather !

The Coachman

Hi folks not posted for a long time as I’ve been lying low so to speak, although I’ve been very busy doing some charity work for my social club during the Covid closure.

Anyway as the title may suggest I thought I’d post this:

Back in 2019 we left home on a three week break, I think the longest break ever with our Coachman 520/4. We stopped off for the first two nights at Moffat which we have used a few times.

Woke up the first morning and found we had tripped the electrics, and after checking I found this was due to a faulty water heater (Truma) so no warm water for the remainder of our “holiday” other than using the kettle and no showers in the van which we prefer.

Next morning and with torrential rain water was leaking through two windows.  This was later found to be poor sealing which had dried out while our caravan sat on the driveway during an extended hot spell.  Back home I  removed the windows and re sealed them with extra sealant.

I also fitted a new Truma element but with other commitments we couldn’t get back out with the van so it went into winter storage under  double cover, inside a shed and with the Protec cover on.

March 2020 and Covid landed on us so the decision was made to stay put for the remainder of the year.

Now into 2021 and I still was very apprehensive about going out but eventually agreed to go to a quiet site in Stranraer.

Prior to this I pulled the van back home and serviced it myself replacing the onboard water pump as it was getting past its best.  The water heater was eventually tested as I sterilised the water system and it worked fine, the missus actually used some hot water to clean down the worktops etc.

Our first trip out in almost two years could have ended in disaster a few miles from home when a white van cut right across me where I missed him by two feet under braking but made it to the site and after hooking up enjoyed that lovely cool gin.

I then realised that I hadn’t switched on the water heater so flicked it on and the TV went blank.  I checked the onboard circuit breaker but within a couple of minutes the TV came back on so I decided to wait until morning fearing the worst with the heater.

In the morning I again tried the water heater and again it tripped out the electrics which was “pointed out” by my caravan neighbour. 
So for the second time in two years we faced the break, this time for 9 days without warm water.

Back I removed the element and via my supplier they are in contact with Truma to see if they will cover the element under warranty as it really only worked for approx one hour.

I hope they make decision soon as we are returning to the same site soon along with a week at our favourite site at Garlieston.

17 minutes ago, DottieD said:

Doesn't your Truma water heater work off gas?

Rather like a fridge, a gas/mains electric boiler controls run off the 12V battery  no matter which form of energy is being used. So, provided the battery is OK the boiler should run on gas and avoid tripping the EHU as it won't be using 240V. 

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

3 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Rather like a fridge, a gas/mains electric boiler controls run off the 12V battery  no matter which form of energy is being used. So, provided the battery is OK the boiler should run on gas and avoid tripping the EHU as it won't be using 240V. 

I know that, but it appears The Coachman does not.

27 minutes ago, DottieD said:

I know that, but it appears The Coachman does not.

perhaps he doesn't use gas at all and as he does his own service , I would think he has come across the gas before now :lol:

as an aside , what has lucky white heather got to do with anything?

Edited by joanie

Perhaps The Coachman is hoping somebody can send him some white heather to change his luck.

I have only pink and purple. 

Yes of course I know you can use gas but I’m sure most will agree if your hooked up to mains 240 why not use it.

Maybe  this is why I see so many vans carrying two rather large 6kg bottles.

I travel with one 3.9kg cylinder which I use for cooking.  BTW I don’t BBQ preferring traditional cooked food.  
I wonder how they manage to keep the hitch weight down with all the items I’ve seen in front lockers.
Speaking of gas I’ve found it extremely difficult to find a new3.9kg  bottle due to Calor putting their staff on furlough I’m told.

The lucky white Heather quote is a figure of speech used when “things sometimes don’t go to plan” 

Anyway I’m keeping my fingers crossed that Truma replace the faulty part in time for our next outing otherwise I will have to purchase another new rather expensive heating element.

Having original elements go and then a replacement sort of stretches the possibility of faulty products and suggests something else is causing the problem. Either a wiring or connection fault maybe. In any case the 9 days without warm water isn't necessary and is over dramatization, given the availability of gas firing the boiler. 

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/09/2021 at 22:14, Steamdrivenandy said:

Having original elements go and then a replacement sort of stretches the possibility of faulty products and suggests something else is causing the problem. Either a wiring or connection fault maybe. In any case the 9 days without warm water isn't necessary and is over dramatization, given the availability of gas firing the boiler. 

For a moderator I’m surprised at your reply.

The original element was approx 14 years old and the replacement lasted approx one hour, based on the time actually used  I don’t see how this stretches the possibility of faulty products.

As for a wiring fault, well there’s only the live neutral and earth so where can a “ wiring fault” cause a current trip out.

As for the over dramatisation and going 9 days without warm water, we did have full use of the kettle so we did have warm water and I think my topic was in no way “dramatic” but fully informative of events as they occurred.

Perhaps you just wanted to blow off some steam to get your thread count up.

As an update the supplying company have replaced the element free of charge and it has now been fitted and tested over two days heating and cooling and it is working fine.

What did you sterilise the water system with, did the new element come out all nice and shiny like it went in?

I use Milton and find it does the job.   The element I fitted in 2019 was only used for approx one hour when tested on my driveway earlier this summer.

Other  than that we had the 9 night stay before it was removed again so obviously it still looked like new except the orange coloured substance which had leaked out from the area where the tubes are attached to the mounting flange.

As I recall even the original element didn’t look dirty or corroded but it was certainly duff.  My caravans a 2007 model but it looks very good for its years. I’ve owned it since it was just three years old and know all its previous history so the original element served well.

8 hours ago, The Coachman said:

I use Milton and find it does the job.   The element I fitted in 2019 was only used for approx one hour when tested on my driveway earlier this summer.

Other  than that we had the 9 night stay before it was removed again so obviously it still looked like new except the orange coloured substance which had leaked out from the area where the tubes are attached to the mounting flange.

As I recall even the original element didn’t look dirty or corroded but it was certainly duff.  My caravans a 2007 model but it looks very good for its years. I’ve owned it since it was just three years old and know all its previous history so the original element served well.

Milton is very corrosive, a lot of people (I am not saying you did) tend to just glug the mitons in then leave it for longer than they should, rather than using it as prescribed on the label.

I saw one that was fitted on a Saturday evening and was ruined by the morning through overdosing of miltons.