Motor mover roller damage

steve2021

Did something really silly and drove off with our manual Truma M1 mover engaged. Towcar didn’t notice. Kind driver alongside us a mile later did, reported blue smoke. Cue cursing and tyre inspection though thankfully the old fashioned resin abrasive polished off leaving shiny rollers rather than damaging the tyres noticeably.  Learned something about checklist mentality from that.

Anyway rather than resurface the old rollers I used these replacement ones from eBay, just wanted to say as a customer I was happy with them in case anyone else plans to use them to refurb an old M1 mover.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233898495106

There are full instructions online and supplied for getting off the inevitably rusted on old rollers. On one side the whole roller was rusted on, on the other just the bush underneath the roller on the gearbox spindle. Nothing simple worked to remove the roller bush. However I was surprised how well drilling to make a slot worked, as per the method this supplier publishes, far better than hammering things. You can drill a line of holes in either the roller or (easier) just a stuck bush and then use a cold chisel to complete removal. Thought it would be harder!

I did this with the mover off the van. Would not be great trying to do it in situ really. Easy enough to get off, a bit more fiddly getting it back up there, heavy item. In an ideal world you’d have an inspection pit and an assistant, though it’s possible on the wheels with neither I found. 

Anyway, lesson learned the hard way, and we have a refurbished mover now! Gonna design a warning system hooked to the towcar 12v that beeps if you plug in with the thing engaged as further penance , when I get time.

Steve

Edited by steve2021

Tick list yes, but a post it note on your steering wheel for the rollers, as retracting the rollers is one of the last jobs to do before driving off...

I suggest that your mover is not set correctly. I have done the same thing on more than one occasion (old age) and the caravan won't move with the rollers engaged, that's on the last three caravans I have owned. I did say more than one occasion:lol:.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

37 minutes ago, Artleknock said:

I suggest that your mover is not set correctly.

I agree!   The couple of times that I've left the rollers on, I've been alerted to the fact that at both times, the engine has stalled as I've tried to pull away.  

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

+1 - Feel a lot better for reading this thread -  I thought it was only me!

4 hours ago, Lagerorwine said:

+1 - Feel a lot better for reading this thread -  I thought it was only me!

Only you? we have all done it but most are too embarrassed to admit it :lol:

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

29 minutes ago, Artleknock said:

Only you? we have all done it but most are too embarrassed to admit it :lol:

Touch wood on that one 😁

… done some things including:

• unhitch, drive the car away only to abruptly discover the breakaway cable not unclipped from tow bar,
  • filling the boiler with drain valve open 
  • set up, awing up and then remember the AL-KO wheel lock is still in the rear footwell of the car.

but to date, not the motor mover.  Probably be the next thing now.  😁

My problem was I think due to the choice of towcar. The 450hp and low down V8 torque  of the Audi S6 rendered it a lot harder to tell than when using other hardware.  I was towing through South London at low speed ...  I’m thinking the car could pull a van on winter wheels at that speed...

Yep no excuses on the lack of a checklist given that I’ve flown in the past. Deserved the costs and hassle. Acronyms work quite well for critical stuff at speed. I’m going with BLM as a last check before towing in future, Brake OFF, Lights CHECKED, Mover DISENGAGED.

The new modern style alloy rollers would just have planed the tyres, I’m very mindful that might be a lot worse if I did it again,

Steve

On 17/09/2021 at 19:45, ReggiePerrin said:

filling the boiler with drain valve open

Every time we go away 😂

Makes me wonder if the adjustment on your mover is correct, I have forgotten this a couple of times and the car will not move.

20 hours ago, Wildwood said:

Makes me wonder if the adjustment on your mover is correct, I have forgotten this a couple of times and the car will not move.

As I say, the towcar is more than a match for old fashioned coated rollers I think. Transmission is auto so you don’t even get any feel at clutch engagement.  The repair changes the game completely as we now have upgraded modern alloy rollers, they bite pretty hard when engaged,

Steve

After engaging the mover I put the winder used to engage it on the drivers seat of the car.  Can be a painful reminder sometimes

2 hours ago, Philept said:

After engaging the mover I put the winder used to engage it on the drivers seat of the car.  Can be a painful reminder sometimes

Many movers nowadays are electrically engaged (wrongly labelled ‘auto-engage’) so I’m afraid that doesn’t work in those situations Philept 🙁

Never left the mover on but oh yea I've defo tried to fill the hot water tank with drain valve left open  :blush:

Not tried to fill the tank with the valve open on the caravan but just a matter of time. Used to do it often in the camper which had a frost setting so would automatically open the valve when it got to 4 degrees without me realising