The M6!

PR1

Well that was an interesting run. 177 miles down the M6 from north of Manchester to home.

177 miles in exactly 4 hours! Not a bad average speed!

Very slow in the Birmingham area, before we hit the M5.

Gets a bit white knuckle on some of the 4 Lane bits of the M6 where you have an artic either side whilst travelling at 60mph.

Give me those single track Devon lanes any time!

Passing home as we travel south, simply because the caravan needs to be serviced, then back on the M5 on Friday heading south again!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can see the M6 across the fields about a mile east of SDA Towers. I try and avoid the new no hard shoulder sections if I can. To pick our son up from Salford Quays it's 1 hr 3 minutes over 52 miles using the motorways but 1hr 17 minutes and 42 miles on non-motorway roads. An extra quarter of an hour and 10 miles less is worth it for lower stress levels. 

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Had to avoid the M6 last week when it was closed between j17 and 18 with traffic backing up past j16. An interesting route via A53 and A51 to Nantwich where we found every main road choked with HGVs trying to find alternatives. Eventually up A533 to short of Middlewich and across to Winsford on a decent road not supposed to be used by over 7 tonnes but of course the HGVs were ignoring that, making it quite hairy to tow.

30 minutes ago, MalH said:

Had to avoid the M6 last week when it was closed between j17 and 18 with traffic backing up past j16. An interesting route via A53 and A51 to Nantwich where we found every main road choked with HGVs trying to find alternatives. Eventually up A533 to short of Middlewich and across to Winsford on a decent road not supposed to be used by over 7 tonnes but of course the HGVs were ignoring that, making it quite hairy to tow.

You may have done better by getting on the A34 then A50 which parallels the M6. It's a good wide road, presumably the forerunner of the motorway. I would guess that Holmes Chapel would be a bad bottleneck though and Knutsford too if traffic's diverting. Normally I'm always surprised how quiet it is for such a good size road. 

11 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

You may have done better by getting on the A34 then A50 which parallels the M6. It's a good wide road, presumably the forerunner of the motorway. I would guess that Holmes Chapel would be a bad bottleneck though and Knutsford too if traffic's diverting. Normally I'm always surprised how quiet it is for such a good size road. 

No that route was already snarled up, especially at Holmes Chapel.  My route was fine until we got to Nantwich, and by taking the A533 from there it wasn't too bad apart from the idiot truckers around Middlewich.  Much worse coming from the A500 direction, it appeared, and everything seemed to be trying to get towards Whitchurch because of the long term closure of the A51 north of Nantwich.

Heard the M25 was a nightmare!

55 minutes ago, gtepete said:

Heard the M25 was a nightmare!

Stupid protesters blocking the slip roads apparently. Don't they realise that their "peaceful protests" cause a huge amount of pollution while hundreds of vehicles are trapped in the tailbacks that THEY are causing? I'd use water cannons and tasers, my Mrs thinks i'm a barbarian.

4 minutes ago, Townie said:

Stupid protesters blocking the slip roads apparently. Don't they realise that their "peaceful protests" cause a huge amount of pollution while hundreds of vehicles are trapped in the tailbacks that THEY are causing? I'd use water cannons and tasers, my Mrs thinks i'm a barbarian.

Saw that on the news, traffic backed up and Police standing there with their hands in their pockets.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Cant interfere with their “Yuman rite” to protest these days :rolleyes:

I hope those who got arrested are really hammered by whichever court they end up in.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

13 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Cant interfere with their “Yuman rite” to protest these days :rolleyes:

I hope those who got arrested are really hammered by whichever court they end up in.

I'm probably more sympathetic to some climate awareness protestors than some here but that one... yeah, let's just say they really hadn't thought it through...

I have no issue whatsoever with anyone protesting to raise awareness of their issue, and would defendevtgeir right to do very vigorously. BUT what  I do have a serious issue with is people like these, X-R and others, who cause huge disruption and inconvenience  to “normal” people who are just trying to get on with their lives but can’t because some individuals, who clearly don’t have a job to  go to (for whatever reason be that “daddies money” or benefits etc) feel it is their “right” to get in the way of others  who do! 

I suggest this lot go and try their tactics in one of the major polluting countries capitals, that being  Beijing, and see how much tolerance there is there for their actions!, I reckon it would probably some years before they would have the opportunity to try it again ;)

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

I have no issue whatsoever with anyone protesting to raise awareness of their issue, and would defendevtgeir right to do very vigorously. BUT what  I do have a serious issue with is people like these, X-R and others, who cause huge disruption and inconvenience  to “normal” people who are just trying to get on with their lives but can’t because some individuals, who clearly don’t have a job to  go to (for whatever reason be that “daddies money” or benefits etc) feel it is their “right” to get in the way of others  who do! 

I suggest this lot go and try their tactics in one of the major polluting countries capitals, that being  Beijing, and see how much tolerance there is there for their actions!, I reckon it would probably some years before they would have the opportunity to try it again ;)

+1

What do they think the U.K. government can do, we are the U.K. the great in Great Britain disappeared long ago, we have no influence whatsoever on the USA, Russia, China, India, China and any of the emerging third world countries.
They have discovered millions of tonnes of cheap fossil fuel that is going to be their source of energy for many, many years to come, they are not going to give that up in favour of much more expensive resources just because some degenerates in the U.K. are blocking roads in protest.

A peaceful protest goes not disrupt the populace from going about their legitimate business, they are home bred urban terrorist and should be treated accordingly.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

On 13/09/2021 at 22:00, Steamdrivenandy said:

I try and avoid the new no hard shoulder sections if I can . . . it's 1 hr 3 minutes over 52 miles using the motorways but 1hr 17 minutes and 42 miles on non-motorway roads. An extra quarter of an hour and 10 miles less is worth it for lower stress levels. 

I agree absolutely SDA and refuse to accept the claims that 'smart motorways' without a hard shoulder can ever be as safe as those with a continuous hard shoulder. The hard shoulder is not only there for broken down vehicles BUT also provide a clear access route for emergency vehicles in the event of an accident or severely congested running lanes. In my opinion the changes being imposed on us at present really have not be thought through - consequently I will continue to avoid these not-so-smart motorway sections.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

35 minutes ago, Gordon said:

I agree absolutely SDA and refuse to accept the claims that 'smart motorways' without a hard shoulder can ever be as safe as those with a continuous hard shoulder. The hard shoulder is not only there for broken down vehicles BUT also provide a clear access route for emergency vehicles in the event of an accident or severely congested running lanes. In my opinion the changes being imposed on us at present really have not be thought through - consequently I will continue to avoid these not-so-smart motorway sections.

On that subject, is there a map source that shows sections of motorway without hard shoulder? I know the M6 past us and up to Knutsford has been messed up that way and southbound as well but I don't know about the rest of the network.

5 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

is there a map source that shows sections of motorway without hard shoulder?

This is fairly up-to-date.   Black is motorway with hardshoulder; Blue is new "smart"; Orange is motorway about to be started.

1103814248_MotorwayMapshowingsmartsections-north.jpg.8c946db79332dde36c38c786f0366829.jpg780024607_MotorwayMapshowingsnartsections-south.jpg.763782ae2281af4dfe295d5f09033de2.jpg

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I may have dreamed it  but didn't the government say they were pulling further 'dumb' motorway development? What's needed now is a plan for moving the existing ones with no hard shoulder back to 'sensible' motorway. We'll probably have to whistle for that and count the coffins.

On 14/09/2021 at 10:06, Townie said:

Stupid protesters blocking the slip roads apparently.

Protesters were at it again this morning at 7am.   One of my daughters commutes from Horsham to Basingstoke on three days every two weeks and amazingly, usually the M25 comes up as quickest route.   Not so today!   By the time she'd reach junction 9 of the M25, it was closed.   After a slow journey across country to J10, that also was closed.   Police, apparently were doing nothing - other than talking to the demonstrators.  

Commuters, going about their lawful business don't have any 'rights' - it seems.

1 hour ago, Jaydug said:

Police, apparently were doing nothing - other than talking to the demonstrators.  

Isn't it an offence to walk onto a motorway . . . . . . . . ? ?

Motorways. Pedestrians MUST NOT be on motorways or slip roads except in an emergency (see Rule 271 and Rule 275).
Laws RTRA sect 17, MT(E&W)R 1982 as amended, reg 15(1)(b) & MT(S)R reg 13

As an ex copper I hang my head in shame over the lack of action that’s taken against these virtue signalling hypocrites! 

I have had experience of (much smaller) similar incidents in the past and my actions were always the same......

”It is an offence to wilfully obstruct the Highway, I am warning you that unless you stop obstructing the highway immediately you will be arrested for that offence”  

I never ever issued threats, but I very often explained what would happen if certain courses of actions were continued with, and always, if necessary ensured what I said would happen, did happen! 

On occasions I was issued with “Words of advice :unsure:“ about “Maintaining community cohesion or not provoking  discontent”  What about the discontent of the hundreds of people inconvenienced by the unlawful actions of a small minority?  was my usual response, to which I often got “Well don’t do it again please” and that went in one ear and straight out of the other!  

Oh how times have changed in the modern Police Service, far too much touchy feely don’t upset them attitude rather than enforcement of the law. The rot set in many years back when the police ceased being a “force” and morphed into a “service” 

14 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Police, apparently were doing nothing - other than talking to the demonstrators.  

Commuters, going about their lawful business don't have any 'rights' - it seems.

Further to the protest on the M25 yesterday - A woman driver on the opposite carriageway was involved in a shunt accident.   According to the Telegraph, her car was so severely damaged, that by the time she was released, she'd lost her life.   

The episode should give some of the protesters food for thought - but maybe not.

23 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

Further to the protest on the M25 yesterday - A woman driver on the opposite carriageway was involved in a shunt accident.   According to the Telegraph, her car was so severely damaged, that by the time she was released, she'd lost her life.   

The episode should give some of the protesters food for thought - but maybe not.

This may not be the only death, or increase in life affecting injuries, or criminals getting away, or utilities companies being unable to attend to emergencies, due to their protests.

Will they be bothered, I suspect 99.5% won't be, may even not know about it.

They and other similar protesters can, with their blinkered attitude, only see their me, me, me object and blow everyone else.

I wonder what the outcry from them would be  if a protester had a heart attack, stroke or some other serious medical episode and due to their blockade died.................... oh, I know, he would be deemed a martyr in dying for the cause............ but asked beforehand if he was prepared to die for the cause At a guess he would say no.

Where are all the means of none polluting transport, bikes, skates, scooters etc. the yoghurt knitters used to get to the protests parked up ?

I'm sure they didn't all  walk from home.

13 hours ago, DerbyClubman said:

Isn't it an offence to walk onto a motorway . . . . . . . . ? ?

I honestly don't know what the police and the government are playing at, they say that they don't need new laws to deal with these people yet they do nothing.

The law states it is illegal for a pedestrian to be on a motorway, then arrest them and remove them, if they have glued their hands to the road then rip them up, they chose to do it no one made them.

Perhaps if they started to feel the force of the law being applied they might think twice about what they are do, but for sure by the authorities doing nothing and senior police officers asking if they are comfortable and do they need anything is pandering to them and making them stronger.

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

On 15/09/2021 at 07:18, Mr Plodd said:

I have no issue whatsoever with anyone protesting to raise awareness of their issue, and would defendevtgeir right to do very vigorously. BUT

I guess the question is: what kind of protest that fits with what most of us class as non-disruptive would actually get the protestors any publicity?

22 minutes ago, Scarab said:

I guess the question is: what kind of protest that fits with what most of us class as non-disruptive would actually get the protestors any publicity?

A dozen or so people protesting in a way that disrupts the lives of thousands  is not acceptable at all, regardless of how they do it.

If they break the law in doing so then the group they represent should be listed as an alien organisation, the protesters should be arrested and removed, and the organisation organisers should be made to tow the line with regards to protests, or they too should face prosecution.

The CPS need to grow some and prosecute each and everyone of them, and they should be prohibited from protesting for a specific period of time under threat of incarceration. 

Can you tell I am fed up with them all?

It wants all the lorry drivers to surround them and threaten to relive themselves over them unless they shift pronto

• Admin locked this topic
  • Steven unlocked this topic