UK TV channels in EU ?

Hi all,

We are about to hopefully escape to Lanzarote Sunday for 14 nights - Spanish German DutchTV + BBC World News & Sky News.

Was just checking up on the latest ongoing TV viewing barriers & issues (c.2021) as would like some UK type live TV viewing options.

Sky Go - seems is no longer available outside UK except limited to news etc.

BBC iPlayer - seems as before when in UK Only.

We do have our own mifi and from before, pre CV19 etc, remember discussion on here about VPN / VPL ? etc.

Anyone  got the latest basic advice / link for a personal UK based free in-direct wifi source ?

Thanks in advance 

M

NB Appreciate can download prior and some folk dont like to go away to just watch TV.

Would you get iPlayer if you use a VPN and a UK Server?

Yep. Data roaming charges could be massive for streaming video, unless you are still covered by your mobile plan.

Hi,

Am with Three on an expired monthly limited Data only contract and new data roaming charges should only apply after 23 May 2022 according to my enquiries ?

I am perhaps more irritated, with Sky & BBC, that you now cant even pay extra to just receive TV - seems crazy that you have to go hooky round the houses to receive.

Has the NordVPN got a decent speed ?

Whilst we will not / can not be away in EU again until Jan 2022 (for our strict full 90 / 180 day visit) we will again be wanting access then so a monthly contract is now a limited need / cost.

Thanks for input

M

8 minutes ago, montesa said:

Has the NordVPN got a decent speed ?

Nord has decent speed, but it will depend on how good the 4G or whatever connection is where you are located at the time 

10 minutes ago, mimo said:

Nord has decent speed, but it will depend on how good the 4G or whatever connection is where you are located at the time 

Appreciated as have heard some of the VPN zig zag around the world & can destroy the speed.

Trouble comes when you just google VPN as to who to use or go to in the minefield so recommends appreciated.

M

I am now in Portugal, I have found that a VPN can slow my internet down also the BBC & others can detect even the best VPNs! I have found a internet sim from NOS will get me all I need for television etc. Useing a Firestick with Tvmucho which can record programs as well.

Hi again,

So seems the Nord is the recommended VPN. Have had a look and seems fine so will pay & download etc - more fun & trauma.

So meantime could someone very very simply explain or show a flow diagram :

Q. What is the connection route from say my laptop to the BBC iPlayer when I am using my Mifi abroad & a VPN ?

Thanks in advance

M

An alternative if you’d prefer a more technical DIY solution is to configure a Raspberry PI as a VPN server, you’ll also need to register a DNS name to allow you to connect, this is the solution I use.

On 14/09/2021 at 11:28, montesa said:

Hi again,

So seems the Nord is the recommended VPN. Have had a look and seems fine so will pay & download etc - more fun & trauma.

So meantime could someone very very simply explain or show a flow diagram :

Q. What is the connection route from say my laptop to the BBC iPlayer when I am using my Mifi abroad & a VPN ?

Thanks in advance

M

To answer your question I’ll need a little more info and you’ll need to decide on how you want to watch iPlayer. In summary a VPN connection is just a direct / secure link to a specific country and Nord will provide details on how this is setup depending and what device you’ll be using.

If using a tablet or computer these will connect to your MiFi and then you’ll start the VPN connection on the tablet or computer. iPlayer will then just work as it’ll appear you’re in the UK. That’s the easy option, if you want watch iPlayer on your TV you’ll have to investigate two possible options, can the TV be configured to run the Nord VPN software, this is unlikely. An alternative will be to run the VPN software on the Mifi, this is also unlikely but if it can all devices that connect to the Mifi will appear as if they’re in the UK.

17 hours ago, D-Hill said:

To answer your question I’ll need a little more info and you’ll need to decide on how you want to watch iPlayer.

Hi & many thanks for your interest & offer of more help.

So have now downloaded NordVPN on to laptop & paid & set up the account. Have had a brief look at the Country options & tutorials (will admit was a bit confusing to me sadly). I understand though the basics of the idea of the secure tunnel and the link in to a UK server.

Am intending to use my Lap top that has Netflix, Sky Go & BBC iPlayer downloaded on it. Will watch TV on it.

Will use the Lap top to select the mifi as the internet source from the choices. The Mifi is using a UK Three data chip.

The sequencing of establishing the connection is the bit I need some help with to understand.

Hope this clarifies and you can assist - thanks ?

M

NB Likely others are reading and this will help them.

Perhaps this (and the links within the page) may help -

https://support.nordvpn.com/General-info/SmartPlay/1047407672/How-to-securely-watch-BBC-with-NordVPN.htm

Can't say I have tried it to be honest as when we have been abroad using a UK phone roaming BBC seemed to think we were in UK anyway.

Jim

fwiw...

Jampot thanks for link.

So just had a try at what I think is the method to connect up via NordVPN to a UK server ??

Lap top connected to home wifi.

Opened up the NordVPN site - chose one of the UK servers - clicked to connect.

My Internet pop up then shows my home Wifi (connected) & NordVPN (connected).

So assume at this point my home wifi is now coming via Nord from one of the two UK Nord servers ????

This is the part I am having troubles with.

Then did a quick non scientific wifi speed comparison check with Ookla Speedtest.

Without NordVPD routing - 29 mbps download / 28mbps upload

With NordVPN - 10.5mbps download / 3.1 mbps upload.

Does this seem correct ??

Thanks in advance.

M

NB It's 2021 and am just trying to watch some of my subscription paid TV channels when abroad on holiday(s).

Sounds like you are doing it right, 
This might help 

As for speed? That could be correct, try connecting to another server and see what you get

Could you connect direct to your internet hub rather than use wi-fi?

14 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Could you connect direct to your internet hub rather than use wi-fi?

Hi,

This was a simple test via my home wifi on a lap top, which is a depleted speed from the fibre to home incoming (now at 130 mbps at the router).  When I am away it will be much slower on my mifi so doubting with the depletion test example above that it will be fast enough for TV watching.

Tis all very frustrating really and with the chaos of trying to sort out the pre departure fiasco & PCR testing regime i'll be needing a holiday to recover.

M

2 minutes ago, montesa said:

Tis all very frustrating really and with the chaos of trying to sort out the pre departure fiasco & PCR testing regime i'll be needing a holiday to recover.

M

Certainly is confusing and forever changing requirement, EG. today there will changes announced, thus I doubt very much I will go to Spain this year as it is just too much for me at my age.

5 hours ago, mimo said:

Sounds like you are doing it right, 

Thanks for the re-assurance but sadly am not convinced I am or that the outcome will produce. Have watched the video linked, and many others, but sometimes they are just a bit quick with the acronyms for me to fully understand.

I used, via Nord, the UK server(s) which one needs to use for access into BBC iplayer as a UK licence payer. I have subscribed into Nord so should get fast speed not depleted.

Cant quite get my head around why it shows my home wifi & a NordVPN server wifi on my wifi pop up box connected at the same time ?

Thanks again for the interest.

M

16 minutes ago, montesa said:

Cant quite get my head around why it shows my home wifi & a NordVPN server wifi on my wifi pop up box connected at the same time ?

You have to have your wifi connected to be able to use the VPN.
As for the speed issues, that is one for Nord customer service to answer, sorry that you are having issues/are not happy. 

Hi, yet again, 

Sorry to maybe sound a really thick - please help.

I have a NordVPN icon on my lap top after downloading & subscribing. I double click it and the programme opens and allows me to choose & set the access as two UK servers. 

I today have my lap top wifi selecting my home wifi source, going off to my home BT router, but with the NordVPN also showing as well as being  'currently connected'. So connected to both.

When i'm abroad (say in Spain) I will have initially connected to my own mifi unit (selected from the listed options) and will clearly therefore be showing a Spanish source (IP ?) address plus also 'currently connected' to NordVPN. 

How do I switch my Lap top to access from the UK Nord VPN UK servers when I use my home or mifi internet connections ?? 

Thanks again 

M

Hi, yet again, 

Sorry to maybe sound a really thick - please help.

I have a NordVPN icon on my lap top after downloading & subscribing. I double click it and the programme opens and allows me to choose & set the access as two UK servers.  CORRECT

I today have my lap top wifi selecting my home wifi source, going off to my home BT router, but with the NordVPN also showing as well as being  'currently connected'. So connected to both. THIS IS CORRECT, you are connected to the VPN through your wifi, can't do it without. Don't believe me, turn your wifi off and see what happens 

When i'm abroad (say in Spain) I will have initially connected to my own mifi unit (selected from the listed options) and will clearly therefore be showing a Spanish source (IP ?) NO, YOU WILL NEED TO SELECT A UK SERVER IN NORD VPN address plus also 'currently connected' to NordVPN. 

How do I switch my Lap top to access from the UK Nord VPN UK servers when I use my home or mifi internet connections ??  IT'S IN THE NORD SETTINGS< SELECT THE COUNTRY YOU WANT TO , RIGHT NOW YOU COULD SELECT USA THEN CONNECT TO NETFLIX AND WATCH A WHOLE DIFFERENT SET OF PROGRAMMES 

Thanks again 

Ah,

Many many thanks & a great help ....

So the NordVPN simply automatically over rides the originating chosen 'source' route of my Internet but needs the initial Internet connection as the start point ? 

So currently I am showing as 'connected' to my home Wifi (BT) & also Nord which is set to UK server(s). The actual originating source of the Wifi now is the two UK servers via Nord. 

Switch off Nord and it reverts back to whatever is the BT UK source with its UK address ?

To clarify one bit :

Before I double click the Nord icon ...

When i'm abroad (say in Spain) I will have initially connected to my own mifi unit (selected from the listed options) and will clearly therefore be likely showing a Spanish source (IP ?) - fine for normal albeit Spanish sourced wifi use. 

For 'UK' TV & say secure internet or UK Internet - double click the Nord - choose the UK address(s) & carry on as it is now showing as if from a UK address ? 

M

When i'm abroad (say in Spain) I will have initially connected to my own mifi unit (selected from the listed options) and will clearly therefore be likely showing a Spanish source (IP ?) - fine for normal albeit Spanish sourced wifi use. 

I'm not sure about this. If you use site wifi in Spain, then yes, your ip address will show your location as Spain. A vpn will 'mask' your location and make it look as though you are at home in UK. However, in my experience when using my phone as a hot spot, although it uses a Spanish mobile network my connection is authorised by and therefore appears to be a UK 02 connection and BBC, Amazon etc don't know I'm not in the UK. For piece of mind I would still use Nord VPN for things like internet banking.

I stand to be corrected:-)

Jim

Hi,

Thanks for all various replies & inputs last week.

Arrived Lanzarote last Sunday night. Hotel has normally over used free wifi (hopeless).

Have now rigged up my mifi, laptop, vpn running on UK servers and finally managed to get back on to BBC iplayer after a re-install etc. 

So can report that this afternoon have successfully watched part 5 of Vigil through BBC iPlayer will no issues.

Quick speedcheck on Ookla shows a 5 mbps download and 4 mbps upload speed via the VPN so pretty fair 

Hope this assists 

M