Metered EHU's being rolled out.

At my van site, all EHU's will be metered next season, seasonal pitches read twice a year, tourers read on arrival and departure, price per KWH is similar to home, up to date the elec cost has been in the seasonal, tourer pitch charge.

A few of the reasons they are changing are, that though they ask not to have such as halogen heaters in awnings continuously, some folk still do, the increase in elec usage in modern vans and the arrival of electric cars, they have had about three at the moment that they know of and the increasing use of such as elec hobs and grills / barbecue's.

There are a few moaners, as always when changes are made, who think it's not fair, but the overwhelming majority I have spoken to think it is a good idea, as I do, pay for what you use.

The fees for next year have been reduced by the elec element, so, if everyone does the same next year as this with ref to usage, there will be winners and losers, many of the moaners not realising, or wanting to, that whilst at the van, their home consumption is less.

A few other local sites are doing the same thing, so I would expect that over time many sites will follow suit, possibly excluding the smaller ones.

fwiw ..

Full support from me, very happy to pay for just what we use. 

In this day & age with all the eco drives it seems remarkable that for a standard site cost folk can then freely 'use all you want' or waste as much electric desired - seen & heard of so much waste.  Some sites (16A CMC ?) must have huge bills.

Await full roll out at all sites & 100% the norm.

M

Much better idea, I do object to paying £4 or £5 a night for £1:50 worth of electricity. Site I was on last week was pay by meter and they reckon on average £1:50 a night during the summer increasing to about £2 in the Autumn quarter.

As an aside isn’t there a rule that sites can’t profit when reselling electricity, hence the additional charge as a catch all and avoiding accusations of profiting on reselling?

Not sure how you are doing and have not used a site that does. I believe the idea is to buy vouchers of some sort that give you so  much power and you need another if you use up all of it. I am not against the idea but I would not want to have to leave a large amount of unused power for the next person although finding that on site might be a bonus. I also wonder what happens if you run out at night.

I am not against the idea as I do think we probably pay for a lot of others power. Can you say how your system would work though please.

All for a metered supply on sites too.  

A Peak District site we like includes electricity in caravan pitch per night price but on the camping fields,  a £5 pre-paid card is needed with top ups added if and as required.  Any credit remaining on the card at the end of the stay is refunded.  

It means the one or two night backpacking walkers are not subsidising the longer stay canvas stately homes / trailer tents etc with their heating and George Foreman’ing etc.

56 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

Not sure how you are doing and have not used a site that does. I believe the idea is to buy vouchers of some sort that give you so  much power and you need another if you use up all of it. I am not against the idea but I would not want to have to leave a large amount of unused power for the next person although finding that on site might be a bonus. I also wonder what happens if you run out at night.

I am not against the idea as I do think we probably pay for a lot of others power. Can you say how your system would work though please.

It's not my system but the site owners, for seasonal pitches the meter is read at the beginning of the season, a second reading is taken halfway through the season and I'll be sent an invoice, at the end of the season the meter is again read and a final invoice is sent.

For tourer pitches, the meter is read when the van is pitched up, the meter is read again when leaving, an invoice is produced, which you pay before you leave, quite a simple process.

I believe that some sites use coin in the slot meters.

In our experience in, for example Germany, many sites do meter (read on arrival and before departure, witness any readings) and the unit charges can be as much as they like. Unlike here where AFAIK, as said above, you cannot make a profit on the unit price?

This did encourage us to leave water heater off unless we needed it as this appeared to make a big difference continually topping up the water cylinder.

So use of metering seems fair and may encourage conservation.

The issue of EV charging even with 16 Amp supplies will probably stretch systems never designed for it beyond any possibility. Wholesale renewal will be required from site to grid?

Edited by DougS

Caravans are energy guzzling dinosaurs.  Perhaps sites charging for electricity will cause manufacturers to really thing about the green credentials of their caravans.  We have a 9 year old Swift caravan.  Supposedly well insulated, but the amount of energy needed to heat it is phenomenal.  We were on a small CL that had meters, they were not used for charging, but I did before and after readings and worked out the energy costs.   It was during a mild spell early one year and the costs were towards £4 a day.  Hate to think what they would be in winter.  Caravans are draughty boxes where energy saving consideration are not well thought out.

If I remember sites were not supposed to charge extra for electricity, wasnt that some EU ruling?

Never heard of that? Can you tell us who says sites can't charge for leccy? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

14 minutes ago, Malx said:

If I remember sites were not supposed to charge extra for electricity, wasnt that some EU ruling?

I suspect you mean that they are not allowed to make a profit when selling electricity.

Wish this could happen abroad, happy to pay if we could get the ampiage, bit fed up with just 6 amps in many French and Spanish sites,well at least at the ones I have visited.

35 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Never heard of that? Can you tell us who says sites can't charge for leccy? 

27 minutes ago, SamD said:

I suspect you mean that they are not allowed to make a profit when selling electricity.

This document, dated October 2005, is still current and can be downloaded from the Ofgem website.

11782-resaleupdateoct05_3.pdf

this might be a precursor to government legislation outlawing the unmetered resale of energy. 

Just done a quick check on the CAMH website, £5.30 a night difference between EHU & Non EHU economy pitches.

Alderstead Heath site.

22 minutes ago, Mr Grumpy said:

Just done a quick check on the CAMH website, £5.30 a night difference between EHU & Non EHU economy pitches.

Alderstead Heath site.

The following is from the pdf which Legal Eagle supplied - CAMH should be able to supply their methodology for calculation on request See 2nd bullet point- fancy asking them??  Sounds very high!

image.png.36630050f1cba4cc82fe758c4b71222a.png

2 hours ago, SamD said:

The following is from the pdf which Legal Eagle supplied - CAMH should be able to supply their methodology for calculation on request See 2nd bullet point- fancy asking them??  Sounds very high!

image.png.36630050f1cba4cc82fe758c4b71222a.png

Just had a quick look at the PDF. They have a get out clause on page 2 which allows them to set an inclusive price for facilities.

11 minutes ago, Mr Grumpy said:

Just had a quick look at the PDF. They have a get out clause on page 2 which allows them to set an inclusive price for facilities.

Agreed it does but they cannot escape from the fact that they have calculated the cost of electricity at £5.30 per night and the max resale price is the same price as the price paid by the person selling it including the standing charge.

So at the moment I don't think you can meter and sell on electricity at a profit unless you are registered as an electricity supplier.

A few other comments...

Regarding the use of heating in caravans and awnings, whilst neither are well insulated, the areas are small so the carbon footprint is miniscule. We can heat our porch awning in poor weather with a 1kw heater so about 20p per hour. As a comparison, our house when occupied uses 12 kw hours of electricity a day and between 12kw hours and 160kw hours of gas dependent on prevailing temperature. So I don't appreciate fellow vanners sneering at my halogen heater when I could be consuming much more energy at home!

Secondly, whilst there's a certain inevitability about metering, it adds a whole load of costs and issues to sites. Installation, reading, queries arising, arguments arising. Just wait whilst we manually check the meter etc etc. Oh my neighbour swapped sockets... Plus a second payment on departure. I've always found it a right faff checking out of German sites which are pretty much all metered.

In Spain our favourite sites mark up unit prices from about 0.15 Euro to I think about 0.3 Euro. So we use the Safefill. 1 litre of LPG provides 7kw hours for about 70p so equivalent to about 10p per unit price of electricity. Those sites metering might find an enormous installation cost and no benefits to pass on...

Or us punters end up paying the same pitch price and sorting out our own energy utilising LPG.

Edited by Readingblue

We are predominantly off grid but when staying at a commercial site then the following applies.

If the site has a set fee with no separate pricing for electricity then we will plug in.  If it does charge for electricity ( such as £5 per day ) then we do not.  Even in the depths of winter we do not burn anything like £5 worth of Safefill gas per day.  Lighting and such are taken care of by the Solar and Lithium.  A metered supply we have not come across yet but I suspect it will be No thank you.

I'm a massive fan of pay as you use. In Germany, it is often 70 euro cents per KWH for electric, with a few KWH included per night. 

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Just been on a lovely site in Dorset where they have metered EHU’s and a “fair usage policy”. On arrival, the meter is pre-loaded for electricity to the value of £1.50 per night booked. This is included in the nightly fee (£30 per night for a fully serviced pitch). When the value remaining on the meter is low, an audible warning lets you know, so you will not be suddenly cut off without warning.  Extra power can be added, if required, by paying for a top-up card at reception.

We use the Alde system for central heating and hot water which is constantly switched on (using electric only, not gas); we use the vans’ shower every day, do all of the washing up in the van and use the TV, kettle, electric ring on the hob, and various other devices; yet we did not use all of the pre-paid electricity during our 10 day stay. There was some left on the meter for the benefit of the next guest (the site do not delete any unused allowance).

I think this is the way forward so that anyone using excessive amounts of power will pay for what they use and they will not be subsidised by others.

I've done two C&CC Temporary Holiday Sites where the leccie was on a prepayment meter. Horton Farm on the Gower we used £7/week and Merixton Farm near Tenby where we used £11/week. The difference was how much we had the water heater on. With Covid we used the shower in the van more. All sites should be like this. It really wrankles being charged £5 a day. Especially when its a Club site.

The figure for the CAMH is not strictly the electricity. What you get is a site with a hook up and no charge is made for the electricity, but you are free to use it. The average consumption must be taken into account, but the charge also has to take into account overheads covering installation, maintaining the system and testing so what the exact figure for the electricity is cannot be ascertained.

I wonder if metered electricity usage will lead to a change in the usage patterns of caravan vs on-site facilities? Once metering is introduced your showers/washing up costs (i.e. water heating) are included in the pitch cost if using site facilities, but you pay extra to use your own. During warm summer months the main electricity cost is most likely to be water heating (unless you have aircon!). Given that the cost of the site facilities must be covered by the pitch price, if you use your own metered facilities you end up paying twice! Admittedly in colder weather heating the van itself will use electricity also. 

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco