Cleaning Windows

Knowlsi

Hi. Recently changed our van and the acrylic windows on the front are slightly hazy and need a good clean. Can anyone recommend a good solution/product. Been considering Fenwick's window cleaner. Thanks

Have used Fenwicks Windowize and it seems fine.

Edited by DougS

• 1 month later...

Car polish with a mild cut and variable speed polisher is the way to go.

Only ever use this on my Windows.

Used it for 11 years on my previous model and it kept them as new but did use it from new before any haze built up.

20211017_044233.png.ea785640e82bce3b1609ea43d2f9ec05.png

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Only ever use this on my Windows.

Used it for 11 years on my previous model and it kept them as new but did use it from new before any haze built up.

20211017_044233.png.ea785640e82bce3b1609ea43d2f9ec05.png

That’s interesting, because Autoglym doesn’t recommend this on acrylic windows, suggesting Fast Glass instead, which I always use. However, despite very careful use , I still see the “swirls” in the window when the sun shines on them. I wish manufacturers would make their acrylic windows more durable.

Glen.

Edited by Glen and Les

Hadn't really picked up on that thinking that it was referring more to car windows where it could leave a waxy finish which might cause problems with a clear view when wet with light reflections.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

If you have swirls you need a mild cutting polish as stated above-Autoglym SRP and a lot of elbow grease or a polisher. After that the swirls are caused by small grains of grit and dust so wash with lots of water and keep you mit or sponge really well rinsed-maybe use the two bucket method, and then fastglass to finish. Cleanliness is the key. But I do think they'll always end up swirly by the very nature of them.

Dometic do a  Kit specifically for removing  swirl marks from Caravan windows but it certainly isn’t cheap  at £39 :o ! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Thanks to those who have offered solutions for the swirls. The van is being traded in soon so I won’t bother on this van - and I’ll try harder to prevent them happening on the new van. 😁

On my last van I used car polish (Mer usualy) on the windows for 11 years, 5 of them with an awning across a window, and when my daughter took the van off me the windows still looked like new. They don't now though :(

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

On 18/10/2021 at 11:49, Camperdom said:

Hand soap & warm water for caravan windows is the usual recommendation. 

Yeah because of all the numpties out there.

Edited by limecc

48 minutes ago, limecc said:

Interesting video.............but.

No mention of what causes the yellowing of headlights, it's caused by UV light, from new they have a coating to protect against UV damage which gradually gets removed my washing etc.

Just polishing gives a good finish but no UV protection, it is recommended to use a coat of a UV protective clear lacquer to give long term protection.

On 18/10/2021 at 11:49, Camperdom said:

Hand soap & warm water for caravan windows is the usual recommendation. 

https://www.youtube.com/watc

2 hours ago, Silversurf said:

Interesting video.............but.

No mention of what causes the yellowing of headlights, it's caused by UV light, from new they have a coating to protect against UV damage which gradually gets removed my washing etc.

Just polishing gives a good finish but no UV protection, it is recommended to use a coat of a UV protective clear lacquer to give long term protection.

That was the second video in my search, first one is here:

I didn't think the Autoglym guy was very skilled actually, but shows what can be done with damaged caravan windows.