Siting a touring caravan on a seasonal pitch. (We don't drive)

Jerseygirl

We really want to buy a caravan to get away for weekends and longer. We are pensioners and don't drive. The dealership we would use say they can deliver it to where we want,and we would like a seasonal pitch in Northumberland,but to be honest seem very expensive,are we mad to try and do this. I have been quoted up to £4000,is this the normal price. We are novices,any advice please! Thank you.

:welcome:Jerseygirl Firstly are you thinking of a static or a touring caravan, whichever one it is you will find it very expensive starting out as you have to buy all the basics as well as the van, then there are things like insurance, storage or site fees. What is the £4000 actually for , what does it include?

Happy Days

JG, are you saying that you have been quoted £4,000 a year for a pitch. 

I have no experience of such deals, but checking the C&CC Seasonal pitch offers they seem to vary between £1200 and £2700 and the seasons vary in length, but are mostly 7 months. On that basis an average is about £350 a month. Extrapolating that to a full 12 months gets a figure of £4,200, so the £4,000 seems about right. Given that a touring pitch is about £30 on such sites, averaged over the year, then you'd need to spend at least 133 nights in the van in a year to be getting a cheaper stay than tourers.   

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Hi Jerseygirl,

Welcome to caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Some sites also store touring caravans when not in use, so if you intend to use a tourer that maybe an option, especially if the site owners are prepared to move it from their storage area to a pitch whenever you planned to visit. Obviously you would have to budget for the initial purchase price of a caravan but hopefully the daily rates for storage would be lower than when occupying a touring pitch. You need to also consider the cost of caravan maintenance and insurance for the year.

Clearly if you are considering a static caravan/holiday home then the costs overall could be significantly higher once you factor in pitch rental, maintenance / service charges etc.

We have always used touring caravans or motorhomes that we store at home, so I am unable to advise over the costs, convenience etc., of keeping a caravan in on location.

We've used Wheathill Store and Stay. 

They charge £425 a year to store the van and £5 a time to get it from store and return it afterwards whether that be for a stay on site or a trip elsewhere. You're also committed to at least 14 days stay on site per year.

So if you chose to stay the 14 nights all in one go then the cost would be £425+£5+(14x£30)=£850. If you chose Bank Holidays you'd pay a bit more as you would if you split the 14 days up, but £850 is the minimum you'd pay. Oh! and the site set the van up and level it on a pitch ready and waiting for you, all you need do is connect up electricity, fresh and waste water as all the pitches are full service.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

If you both don't drive, the cost of getting to and from the chosen site, also needs to factored in, unless you are staying for long periods at a time.

Also you may need local access to. Public transport to get out and about for food etc. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

4 hours ago, joanie said:

:welcome:Jerseygirl Firstly are you thinking of a static or a touring caravan, whichever one it is you will find it very expensive starting out as you have to buy all the basics as well as the van, then there are things like insurance, storage or site fees. What is the £4000 actually for , what does it include?

I think the £4000 is because it's in one of the top sites in Northumberland,which is where we live. The park has restaurants,bar etc. It is also near to where we live. The only problem is the park has a long waiting list for seasonal pitches and other parks near us don't do tow and store. These are problems we are going to have to seriously think about. Thank you for your reply

To everyone who has replied to my question thank you so much for your advice etc. Take care everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, new to this site too, but can I jump into this topic, as we too are looking to get a tourer to put on a seasonal pitch and we don't drive either.  We have owned several static caravans over the years and the last of these will be reaching the end of it's tenure next year . Our grandchildren are getting too old for the 'big park' static caravan holidays now so we are wanting to 'downsize' to something a bit more suitable for a pair of pensioners and a dog. We live in the East Anglia area and are looking for a dog-friendly site somewhere in that region,  that has the sort of 'stay and store'   facilities mentioned above and also has some fishing for my husband .  Does anyone have any recommendations or helpful advice to give us?  Many thanks.

Edited by SueBrown

Sue Brown, Mill Hill Farm near Saxmundham might suit, provided you have someone who can take you there and bring you back and if you can get groceries delivered.

• Steve changed the title to Siting a touring caravan on a seasonal pitch. (We don't drive)