That’s my lot

dustypete

Right sold my caravan a few weeks back and just ordered a new campervan which won’t be ready until March 2022, so that’s it after 32 fantastic years of caravaning we are giving up, no more having to go to the storage yard hitch up tow to a campsite , etc etc , not that I’m complaining enjoyed every minute and I truly did, ofcourse will still be doing the campsite thing but fill the campervan for us will be better, bye 

59 minutes ago, dustypete said:

Right sold my caravan a few weeks back and just ordered a new campervan which won’t be ready until March 2022, so that’s it after 32 fantastic years of caravaning we are giving up, no more having to go to the storage yard hitch up tow to a campsite , etc etc , not that I’m complaining enjoyed every minute and I truly did, ofcourse will still be doing the campsite thing but fill the campervan for us will be better, bye 

What camper' have you bought? After the space you had in the Sprite Major, it will have to be a decent size.

well, I'm glad you brought this up as we were on site last week and noticed that there was an increase of campervans, panel vans and high tops etc.  We have mostly had caravans  and I can't see us changing , mostly because of the payload and the space.  You would be reducing the space considerably . I know that once you are on site you could have an awning to put your chairs etc. in but you have to transport all of that , with no car to help out with boot space either, so how are you going to manage?   BTW what is the payload  / weights of campervans.    

We've just collected a new ( to us ) Swift Ranger 480 Alde . We tried a camper twice (hired ) and just HATED it.

We shall stick with caravans as long as we are able enough.....

Edited by Graham over 70

I’m with “Graham Over 70” on this. Wouldn’t consider a campervan for as long as we are able enough to caravan. Just not enough room. Where would the grandkids fit ?

It's funny, I went from a camper to a caravan because of the lack of space. 

Much enjoyed driving the can than towing and we could drive easier in heavy winds but much prefer the extra space of the wobblebox. 

Horses for courses I guess. Good luck with the new van

Since me n the Mrs are getting a folding camper we debated doing a motorhome instead. Especially as I've got my Cat C so could drive any size motorhome.

We decided it was more convenient to tow a caravan/folding camper than to tow a small car or have one of us drive it up separately.  

That said we did see an advert for an ex army nuclear convoy lorry that had been partially converted to a motorhome. That was tempting.

I started my travelling holidays in the 1970's with a camper-van.  Life was pretty simple then, living just outside Belfast, we could go for our weekly shopping and drive into the hills for lunch and enjoy the view. Stop overnight on the shores of Belfast lough on the way to the Glens of Antrim. On our three week summer holiday the only planning was to get the ferry across to Scotland and turn left. We could travel around Scotland, stopping at campsites where there were any, and on quiet spots where there weren't. Idyllic days (in hindsight) but thing have changed, and not for the better in my opinion. We were finding it more difficult, with height barriers and parking restrictions, being turned away from campsites because they were booked up. Only being able to afford one vehicle because of rising motoring costs.

We now have a caravan, and living in England and being retired we can travel as we please, booking into campsites for a week or so at a time, using the car to sight see, WE WISH.

It is not easy to book where you want to stay because of Covid and staycations, but at least when we find a site we can park up the caravan and move about in the car. A huge Motor Caravan, like the ones that now fill campsites, must be a nightmare.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

4 hours ago, dustypete said:

Right sold my caravan a few weeks back and just ordered a new campervan which won’t be ready until March 2022, so that’s it after 32 fantastic years of caravaning we are giving up, no more having to go to the storage yard hitch up tow to a campsite , etc etc , not that I’m complaining enjoyed every minute and I truly did, of course will still be doing the campsite thing but fill the campervan for us will be better, bye 

Similar story here. We caravanned for 30 years and towed over 80,000 miles and changed to a motorhome. Now on our second one. We have had motorhomes for the last 9 years. Can't see us going back. There are obviously compromises but that has to be balanced against any perceived disadvantages. The one mistake we made was initially buying a motorhome which was a bit on the large size. Now have something slightly smaller with a good payload (750kgs) One of the reasons we gave up caravanning was that the vans were getting bigger and bigger and one day we had an incident that made us realise that without a mover we would be stuck and on the day the mover went wrong was the day we seriously started to think about a motorhome and six months later we had one! I am not sure I understand the bit about space. Our latest motorhome has two long bucks which can be used as singes or a large double. We use them as two singles and to convert from day to night takes five minutes, we have it down to a fine art now! The more space you have the more you fill it. We don't have an awning, except for the wind out canopy. Clearly motorhoming doesn't suit everyone so I wouldn't persuade anyone to change unless they were already thinking along those lines. Hope you enjoy it Dustypete

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

25 minutes ago, klyne said:

Similar story here. We caravanned for 30 years and towed over 80,000 miles and changed to a motorhome. Now on our second one. We have had motorhomes for the last 9 years. Can't see us going back. There are obviously compromises but that has to be balanced against any perceived disadvantages. The one mistake we made was initially buying a motorhome which was a bit on the large size. Now have something slightly smaller with a good payload (750kgs) One of the reasons we gave up caravanning was that the vans were getting bigger and bigger and one day we had an incident that made us realise that without a mover we would be stuck and on the day the mover went wrong was the day we seriously started to think about a motorhome and six months later we had one! I am not sure I understand the bit about space. Our latest motorhome has two long bucks which can be used as singes or a large double. We use them as two singles and to convert from day to night takes five minutes, we have it down to a fine art now! The more space you have the more you fill it. We don't have an awning, except for the wind out canopy. Clearly motorhoming doesn't suit everyone so I wouldn't persuade anyone to change unless they were already thinking along those lines. Hope you enjoy it Dustypete

David

you are talking about a motor home, but   Dustypete is buying a campervan and the ones that I have seen are smaller than a 2 berth caravan with the cooker and sink on one side and the toilet  / shower on the other with the benches at the back. There's a few cupboards  up above  and not much else, that's what I mean about space or lack of it .

As long term caravaners we have considered but were disinclined a switch to a full fat motorhome, for all the usual reasons.

However the pandemic has made us consider whether the traditional ‘several weeks away each year’ was how we wanted to holiday in future.

A camper van (as opposed to a larger motorhome) could enable us to take ‘more regular’ day outings with all conveniences onboard …or even overnight stops, as opposed to less frequent weeks away.  

Although the post Covid era may well bring a return to more normal ways of life, knowing our own ‘toilet and cafe’ are in the carpark with no queues or hygiene concerns is a strong motivation for us to consider a change. 

Edited by ericfield

5 hours ago, dustypete said:

Do tell us what you've gone for.

I fancy a T6 campervan to use as a towcar for our van. 

That would be best of both worlds with the ability for short breaks away from the van...

A camper van towing a caravan. Is that worse that a motorhome towing a car? 

We have a caravan because of the kids. No kids = van conversion or compact motorhome. 

Enjoy the camper van! 

I've never been able to reconcile the duplication of facilities when running a camper or motorhome to pull a caravan.  I understand the idea of using the campervan when, say, two out of a family of four want to go away without towing a caravan. But when taking the caravan you have two kitchens and two washrooms if it's a motorhome. And then if you mostly barbecue, you've got two kitchens you rarely use. It's all a bit silly. If only someone made caravans with beds and washroom only, then using a camper or motorhome as a towcar would make sense.   

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

2 hours ago, Readingblue said:

Do tell us what you've gone for.

I fancy a T6 campervan to use as a towcar for our van. 

That would be best of both worlds with the ability for short breaks away from the van...

I couldn't agree more. We love our caravan, it accommodates us perfectly well and I wouldn't be without it as it stands but we also like to go to beaches off the beaten track. Something like a T6 would allow us to spend the day at some remote locations. I also love to watch motorsport, typically bike racing. I don't need or want to drag the caravan for a wet weekend alone or with a pal but see a T6 camper as the perfect solution. I'm also considering becoming one of the orange army and again this would be mega. Just a shame I cannot afford a T6. 

15 hours ago, dustypete said:

I am not a great fan of caravans either had a few. And have one now that family use.

we much prefer the hotel stuff. 

hotels anywhere we have wanted to go . Well so far.

but we’re going to give it another shot sometime next year maybe things will change.

Since we retired, we were using the towcar less and less.

We worked out that the depreciation on the towcar and caravan combined wasn't that different to the depreciation on a large panel van conversion (PVC).

The towcar was five years old, and the caravan six, so we sold up (got great prices for them at the moment), and have bought a wildax.  Initial impressions are very, very good.  I'm sure we'll miss the space of the caravan, but the ability to tour is fabulous.

We hope that a PVC will be that little bit easier to park than a motorhome.

As a bonus, the PVC lives on our drive.  We were fortunate in having caravan storage only 5 miles away, but on the drive works even better.

We're already seeing a change in usage.  Before we'd typically book a week away in the caravan, and use the car for visits out.  Now we're doing a lot more day trips and short stays.

Edited by A11

We've run a 5m PVC, then an Adria Compact motorhome, two Eriba Touring caravans, a Lunar Quasar 464, Bailey Rimini and back to a 5.2m PVC. Both PVC's had proper swivel toilets, which IMO are a necessity, without a toilet they're just vans, although I guess campervan is the correct term. We moved to the compact motorhome to get an onboard shower, which was OK, but not that good and the slightly wider body allowed sleeping across the van, which wasn't comfortable in a PVC. 

I then took the plunge into towing, enticed by the look of the iconic Eriba Touring range and I'm still a devotee. However at 6ft 2ins and 17 stone, the lack of usable onboard shower eventually drove me to a WWB in the form of the Lunar and on to the larger Bailey.

It was after giving up because the Bailey was just too big and cumbersome and setting up and breaking camp such a pain that I spotted a slightly longer version of our original PVC and just had to have it. For the dogs and me the PVC was great. But add in Mrs SDA and things were tight and awkward. Plus having restored the van over two years to an as new condition, I could see that the dreaded rust was on the horizon and didn't want to be lumbered with a worthless MoT failure. So we sold up last year.

I still hanker after a van but caravans are too much like hard work now and PVC's mainly too big to be daily drivers and I can't see the point of a motor vehicle that's not used all the time. 

We are seriously thinking of PVC, sold our 4 year old Bailey caravan, bought new, sadly first and last, after all the stressful serious issues we suffered, all down due poor build quality, last service large area of damp was found, we had finally had enough, sold back to dealer, walked away with great relief.

We love really the life style, can't buy another caravan, or coach built MH, fear the same stressful ownership being repeated.

Thinking a PVC is our only option, hesitant due to poor reviews, rejections, unhappy owners FB groups.....Going round in circles.

10 minutes ago, Toein said:

Thinking a PVC is our only option, hesitant due to poor reviews, rejections, unhappy owners FB groups.....Going round in circles.

The problem with any social media or forum is that it’s mostly negative. It’s not because manufacturer A makes shoddy products, but because person B  had a bad experience. 
Caravans / Motorhomes / PVC’s are largely hand assembled, with all the variance that can bring. Then they get bounced up and down the atrocious roads. It’s no surprise that things do work loose or fail. This is where a good dealer is usually the significant difference between poor and bad experience. 
Find something you like, give it a critical look over and decide for yourself if it’s good enough quality for you, and if it suits you. Then go for it and enjoy 

I can't say I've heard of many unhappy PVC owners. Maybe I just don't inhabit the right places.

When we had a new PVC I can only recall three issues. One where the diesel fuel line to the Webasto Airtop came adrift, which was an easy fix, just refit and tighten the jubilee clip. Similarly a water leak around a hose to the gas/electric boiler required tightening of its clip.

The second issue only surfaced after a year or so.  We started seeing spots of diesel on the drive after we'd pulled up. It turned out that at some time in construction somebody had drilled a hole in the van floor to fit something and had drilled through the top of the fuel tank. They'd then dropped the tank and covered the hole with a mixture of aluminium foil and sealant. Over time diesel had wormed its way under the sealant and when the tank was fullish fuel leaked out. In the end the supplier paid for a new fuel tank. 

The first two were acceptable issues as movement, vibration and temperature variation can cause such problems. The third one gave me cause to worry about the integrity of the converter, but the rest of the van was superbly put together.

The trouble with PVC's generally though is that a lot are sold by the converter from one spot. If you always live close by that's fine, but if like me you're 240 miles from the dealer and 125 miles from the van converter, then getting anything sorted is a potential pain. As with caravans, buy local whenever possible. As both our vans had unique layouts that was easier said than done.

Rearwithhatchopen.jpg

P6220747compressed.jpg

PM Innovation lounge.jpg

18 hours ago, dustypete said:

Whatever works for you. Hope you really enjoy the camper van. I don't understand why you are saying bye though? You've still got 30+ years of caravanning experience behind you and you can still pass that on to newer members, plus, we've got other motorhomes on here. Keep posting.:)

Hi good replies so far, we ordered a dealer special panel van campervan, which is a fiat ducato medium wheel bad panel van, wife thought vw campervan was a little too small, only two of us plus a little Jack Russell dog we know it’s going to be a little cramped compared to owe sprite major  but we had small 5 berth caravans with 5 of us sometimes going to France for a month and no electric running everything on gaz and torches, we spoke to a bloke with  same sort of campervan on site who said on there last outing that they had to have a detour past Windsor castle on there way home decided to stop for an hour then carried on 10 minutes down the road came to a place called runnnymead which backed onto the river Thames and stopped for 2 hours then searched on line for a CL locally and stopped the night, this is what we want to do spur of the moment if you fancy it do it, campervan is what we want we know it’s going to work for us, we are planning a tour of the Italian lakes next year ,we are so excited, thanks pete 

If memory serves the Ducato/Boxer/Relay vans are 6ft 2ins or so across, the Transit Custom is 5ft 10ins and the VW Transporter about 5ft 3ins. So almost a foot difference between narrowest and widest. For comparison a Sprite caravan is about 6ft 9ins wide internally.

Yeah going to be a squeeze as I’m 6ft 2inchs , only a 2 berth, 2 single beds 6ft 2 each one but pulls into a double, me and my wife when we where late teenagers for fun would go off walking and wild camping with 4 days of gear packed into our rucksacks also we went caving a lot and camped under ground. There are a few YouTube videos and Facebook group that we have been watching and I know we will be fine, too late now paid a deposit, but as I said we are really excited and can’t wait, thanks pete