VW Tiguan Towbar Recall

Bryn58

Just in case anyone towing with a VW Tiguan is not aware of this:

VW have initiated a recall for Tiguans that have the factory fitted towbar option on vehicles built between 23/02/16 and 14/03/19 

The towbar swivel mechanism may have a defective locking pin. As a result, the pin could break while driving, increasing the risk of an accident.

The recall code is: 66M6

To all the insomniacs, look on the bright side there are only three sleeps until Christmas

• Guest pinned this topic

I'm in that group and received no recall.

I suspect I will only be informed next Dec when its in for service.

If you check on the DVLA website under MOT history of a car using the reg. number there is a section where you can check to see if any recalls are applicable to a car. This might be a way of checking your car.

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

Does it just apply to the Tiguan or are other VW cars with swivelling affected too ?      John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Hi I have a MK2 Tiguan that was registered March 2018 and has a factory fitted rectractable towbar. I have spoken with two dealers both are aware of the recall. They have checked using my chassis VIN and both say my car is OK and any owners subject to the recall will receive a letter.

49 minutes ago, Jon Riley said:

Hi I have a MK2 Tiguan that was registered March 2018 and has a factory fitted rectractable towbar. I have spoken with two dealers both are aware of the recall. They have checked using my chassis VIN and both say my car is OK and any owners subject to the recall will receive a letter.

Mine falls into that date range and dealer has checked as mine was in for tyres and said mine's not affected, so not ALL models

2023 Swift Challenger Grande 650L pulled with a VW Tiguan 2.0TDI 190PS 4Motion 2019

On 22/08/2021 at 14:19, Jon Riley said:

Good to know thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Be aware that if yours is affected it may take some time to get it fixed. The dealer I use tried to fix it a number of times and the pin failed each time. It took a lot of too and fro between VW Technical, the VW factory and the dealer before they finally decided to replace the whole of the tow bar. I was without the car for one day less than four weeks.

If the pin fails then your caravan or trailer will likely detach from the car.

Just checked my 2017 SEL via the MOT link and registration number - no recall. Had car serviced 4 weeks ago, nothing mentioned by dealer.

Then checked the Gov website without using the reg number for year 2017, there are 2 recalls for swivelling towbar, one in 2019 (454 vehicles affected) and June 2021 ( 531 vehicles affected), so obviously a bad batch or two!

Going to triple check with dealer in morning as towing new caravan back to dealer for warranty work Friday morning

Edited by Lagerorwine

• 2 months later...