What TV???

I have just purchased a Caravan and I am looking at TVs. The caravan is fitted with a TV directional aerial. What TV would I need?. I have 2 children aged 10 and 13, so access to Netflix and such would be great!. Any advice would be great. 

If you're always going to be on EHU then any suitable sized set will work.

If you envisage going "off grid" then you'll want one that works off 12 volt. 

You won’t get Netflix over a directional TV aerial.  For that, you will need a Wifi connection capable of streaming Netflix plus a Smart TV.

@Mr Grumpy's post above applies to choice of TV.

Just get any decent 22-24in TV but it MUST have an HD tuner to avoid any future changes making it obsolete. Get a smart TV if you want but few sites will have fast enough wi-fi for Netflix and the like. You can use a mi-fi unit but there is a cost involved.

A LG 22TN410V for £149 from Richers is a good option, but NOT the similar 24" at £169 as it does not have a full HD screen which the 22" does. John Lewis do a Linsar 24" HD TV with a built-in DVD player.

In many caravan dealers you will find a brand called Avtex. I understand they are good TVs but very expensive. Another brand you may find is Cello. They do make TV specifically for caravans and they do make 22" and 24" full HD TVs but if you are drawn towards one just check the resolution as detailed below - many of their TVs seem to be 1366x768. They have a factory shop in Bishop Auckland, Co Durham. Like Avtex many of their TVs that are suitable for caravan use come with a built-in satellite tuner as well - you would just need a dish, tripod, and some cable. 

Importantly for whatever TV you choose make sure the screen is 1920x1080: there are still TVs about which are so-called HD ready and my indeed have an HD tuner but the screen may be only 1366x768 (or thereabouts) which is not HD.

Some 12 volt TVs are better than others .

we bought a 12 volt  / 240 volt tv a short while ago. . 12 weeks approx.

and to be honest it was mainly for a portable sat system for free sat.

works very well.

very light weight

and then things get worse over £200  for it .

the picture could be a lot better.

and the sound is terrible very tinny weak and gutless.

so we’re also looking for another better tv.

but so far have not found anywhere in Hampshire where you can go see hear and try.

so beware .

listen to others members suggestions and recommendations on what THEY are using and NOT what they have seen.

Avtex TVs are expensive for a reason! The viewing angle is excellent  - a lot better than some of the cheaper brands.  They are built to withstand the rigours of caravanning and the sound is a lot better than most - especially if mounted on a bracket against a wall or cupboard.  Most of all, the picture is excellent and, of course, they have the 12v facility as well as 240v which I concede, others also have.

I bought a 12v 'caravan TV' from Aldi some years ago for just over £100.  It was rubbish! Kept dropping the signal on a site where we had previously had excellent reception on a TV borrowed from home and others on that site weren't having any problems whatsoever.  Took it back and invested in an Avtex and haven't regretted it. It's not 'smart' but the latest ones are - but we use an Amazon Firestick and mifi and it works well for streaming such as Netflix etc.

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

Another vote for Avtex. As usual you get what you pay for. Ours allows viewing via Freeview or Freesat which means we can use a mobile sat dish if a normal TV signal is unavailable or weak. As usual with all 'full screen' TVs, sound is compromised by being projected out the back, but we solved that by adding the Avtex soundbar which is also excellent.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

fwiw ..

If you intend to do Touring type of travel then my view is ....

a cheap smaller maybe s/h 22 / 24 240v TV for bundling in & out of the Caravan or storing on board may prove cost effective when it gets dropped or is stolen. 

Most site WIFI is usually very poor & slow. Phone signal reception is not a given in rural & Tree lined areas & sites. TV reception via your simple Caravan aerial may & can be iffy & the 4g & 5g phone outputs & Mifi / Wifi etc also are starting to cause TV signal interference (I have found of late). Some sites do have TV Aerial points on the EHU bollard to plug into if you have a long aerial lead but this usually only often gives just the freeview channels.

It is feasible to use Sky + & Sky Go links (& Netflix ?) to download various programmes to say a lap top etc & to then HDMI feed them to the TV to watch. Live Netflix reception may be a big ask.

If permanently sited or big budget then clearly many other options apply.

Await news & update & critic ..... 

M

11 hours ago, MantGem said:

I have just purchased a Caravan and I am looking at TVs. The caravan is fitted with a TV directional aerial. What TV would I need?. I have 2 children aged 10 and 13, so access to Netflix and such would be great!. Any advice would be great. 

we did try the aldi one but we took it back , not recommended. For years we have had a 22" samsung, mains only , using it with a humax box and max view sat dish plus the roof aerial.  We now have a 22" vision plus which is 12v, 230v, freeview & freesat tuners , plus USB recording. DVD/CD slot and CI , covers just about everything, don't know about netflix though. 

https://www.towsure.com/vision-plus-21-5-hd-tv-satellite-dvd?gclid=CjwKCAjw9aiIBhA1EiwAJ_GTSn6oPVIXSNdSFAboMw1CtTyTI-2GDL5v5EVBRF7l5UEo5rqkr8r-UBoCmSIQAvD_BwE

11 hours ago, Woodentop said:

Just get any decent 22-24in TV but it MUST have an HD tuner to avoid any future changes making it obsolete. Get a smart TV if you want but few sites will have fast enough wi-fi for Netflix and the like. You can use a mi-fi unit but there is a cost involved.

A LG 22TN410V for £149 from Richers is a good option, but NOT the similar 24" at £169 as it does not have a full HD screen which the 22" does. John Lewis do a Linsar 24" HD TV with a built-in DVD player.

In many caravan dealers you will find a brand called Avtex. I understand they are good TVs but very expensive. Another brand you may find is Cello. They do make TV specifically for caravans and they do make 22" and 24" full HD TVs but if you are drawn towards one just check the resolution as detailed below - many of their TVs seem to be 1366x768. They have a factory shop in Bishop Auckland, Co Durham. Like Avtex many of their TVs that are suitable for caravan use come with a built-in satellite tuner as well - you would just need a dish, tripod, and some cable. 

Importantly for whatever TV you choose make sure the screen is 1920x1080: there are still TVs about which are so-called HD ready and my indeed have an HD tuner but the screen may be only 1366x768 (or thereabouts) which is not HD.

Thankyou for your reply 😊

2 hours ago, montesa said:

fwiw ..

If you intend to do Touring type of travel then my view is ....

a cheap smaller maybe s/h 22 / 24 240v TV for bundling in & out of the Caravan or storing on board may prove cost effective when it gets dropped or is stolen. 

Most site WIFI is usually very poor & slow. Phone signal reception is not a given in rural & Tree lined areas & sites. TV reception via your simple Caravan aerial may & can be iffy & the 4g & 5g phone outputs & Mifi / Wifi etc also are starting to cause TV signal interference (I have found of late). Some sites do have TV Aerial points on the EHU bollard to plug into if you have a long aerial lead but this usually only often gives just the freeview channels.

It is feasible to use Sky + & Sky Go links (& Netflix ?) to download various programmes to say a lap top etc & to then HDMI feed them to the TV to watch. Live Netflix reception may be a big ask.

If permanently sited or big budget then clearly many other options apply.

Await news & update & critic ..... 

M

Thankyou... 😊 

3 hours ago, Sonar said:

Some 12 volt TVs are better than others .

we bought a 12 volt  / 240 volt tv a short while ago. . 12 weeks approx.

and to be honest it was mainly for a portable sat system for free sat.

works very well.

very light weight

and then things get worse over £200  for it .

the picture could be a lot better.

and the sound is terrible very tinny weak and gutless.

so we’re also looking for another better tv.

but so far have not found anywhere in Hampshire where you can go see hear and try.

so beware .

listen to others members suggestions and recommendations on what THEY are using and NOT what they have seen.

I will thankyou 😊

As Woodentop says-if you want a good picture and smart for a sensible price then go Samsung/LG and you can't go wrong at Richersounds for their 6 year warranty-which is amazing but sometimes they don't have small TVs and so Currys might be your  source-compare the two. Even though many rate AVTEX I can't ever imagine the price justifying the TV-consider their actual panel will be made by one of the larger companies ie LG/Samsung or maybe the cheaper ones cropping up now and not them.

Another vote for Avtex. As well as all of the features mentioned they have an in built tuner so you can direct your aerial without the need for a separate meter. plus of course the option of Freeview or Freesat if you use a dish.

We download a Netflix series to a laptop , connect laptop to TV and watch that way. Like others have said WiFi will probably not be up to the job.
That said we didn't watch any TV last weekend when we were away with our 15 year old (she didn't either) Had much more fun playing games sat outside 

We use our phones as mobile hotspots-beats most site wifi and more reliable usually too! We have a Samsung HD 24"-super picture and viewing angles but no flat screen tv is ever going to do the job with sound-we're not bothered but if you are a sound bar is the answer.

You can buy 24" TV's with built in DVD players from Argos etc for less than £200 .

Personally we use a 28" TV and have a separate blueray DVD player.

I download Netflix films to my iPhone before I go away, and connect the iPhone to my TV via HDMI cable to play them on the TV.

5 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

We use our phones as mobile hotspots-beats most site wifi and more reliable usually too! We have a Samsung HD 24"-super picture and viewing angles but no flat screen tv is ever going to do the job with sound-we're not bothered but if you are a sound bar is the answer.

We do too when necessary.     Our 24” tv/dvd player is from Aldi (Bauhn) and is great for our needs.    Good picture, decent sound, no problems in the 3 years we’ve had it (cost £129) and it also works on 12v which is a bonus.    Not paying a fortune on something used minimally in the caravan

For Netflix, we have the app on our iPad and connect this to the tv via an Apple adapter and a HDMI cable.      

We have a normal 240V tele with a DVD player but go off grid sometimes so would like to be able to run on 12V in the future. We would also like a bigger screen (22"). I don't know how much tech I need to protect for the future. We don't have a satellite dish so only receive a signal through the Status aerial. We do get all the Freeview channels. We occasionally use the C&CC site at Rhayader which has no reception (since we went digital) but the WiFi is good. Could our Firestick help us ? (providing the existing tele has a USB port) For a new set I've been looking at a Westinghouse at £200 or a Cello at £209 on Amazon. The later seems to come loaded with everything but do I need all that. Cant find any TVs on Aldi.

If off grid I'd be tempted to try running our tv off an invertor-getting reasonably priced these days-they do hammer batteries though!

If you are after a new TV anyway, just buy one with an external mains adapter instead of an integrated one. That way it will run off mains with the adapter or 12v without.

The TV that I last bought could be had in both versions, either with an external or with an internal power unit. I bought the one with an external unit. The price was the same.

Edited by Lutz

On 08/08/2021 at 12:03, PaulHo said:

Could our Firestick help us ? (providing the existing tele has a USB port)

Firestick may be ok depending on how good the WiFi connection is and its bandwidth. TV usb may not provide enough power for the firestick but you could use a 12volt adaptor thingy that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket, but you may need a splitter as your TV would probably be using that.
TV would need a HDMI connection.

35 minutes ago, Lutz said:

That way it will run off mains with the adapter or 12v without

My TV needs 19 Volts so best check first

On 08/08/2021 at 12:03, PaulHo said:

We have a normal 240V tele with a DVD player but go off grid sometimes so would like to be able to run on 12V in the future. We would also like a bigger screen (22"). I don't know how much tech I need to protect for the future. We don't have a satellite dish so only receive a signal through the Status aerial. We do get all the Freeview channels. We occasionally use the C&CC site at Rhayader which has no reception (since we went digital) but the WiFi is good. Could our Firestick help us ? (providing the existing tele has a USB port) For a new set I've been looking at a Westinghouse at £200 or a Cello at £209 on Amazon. The later seems to come loaded with everything but do I need all that. Cant find any TVs on Aldi.

Are you sure you are attempting to receive the local transmitter? If the signal was good before DSO it should be even better now.

You aerial should be vertical and directed almost exactly NE. The transmitter is about 300ft higher than you and should be line of sight.

We have a cheap Alba TV with a built in DVD player. The sound is run through a Betron D51 portable speaker as the TV speakers are rubbish,  connected to the TV is a Google Chromecast. The chromecast is connected to our caravan wifi (Smarty unlimited data ) as are our phones and we just stream Netflx, Amazon, etc from our phones to the chromecast/TV.

Only downside is when the 4g signal is not there but that has yet to happen totally.

Personally I don't believe in spending a lot of money on a tv for the caravan when it could so easily get knocked about, so for me Avtex is out.

Recently bought a 27” full hd model for the rear bedroom from Aldi with dvd player about £139 from memory. Very light weight too, so can be left mounted whilst travelling.

Picture quality is exceptional in hd. The sound from the internal speakers is  pretty dire but through a Bose type speaker (not actually a Bose but similar) it is perfectly acceptable.

Tv’s are not stocked in Aldi, but come on the weekly special buys every now and again.

Edited by hp100425ev