Jump to content

Observations on a CMC site in August.


Recommended Posts

First I must make the comment that we normally stay on CL’s or very small commercial sites, often sites that were once CL’s but have now grown a bit. We are only here as children and grandchildren will be joining us, and we need on site facilities as our caravan would not be able to cope, what with water and waste!

 

Firstly the site is heaving.  We all seem to be on top of each other.  There are far more caravans than Motorhomes.

Unlike a few years ago there are an awful lot of young families with their children, and all seem to be behaving themselves, as much as children on holiday can.

A fair few of the visitors do however seem to be unable to say good morning when greeted in the morning! Too used to looking at their phones methinks.

Had a wander round the site and the majority of caravans seem relatively new, sub 6 years old.

The pervading smells of barbecuing tonight was unbelievable. Cadac must be making a fortune! The odours were so strong I thought our caravan may be on fire.

If this is the way forward caravanning looks safe for the future, as I am not sure it will be that easy to go abroad in the coming years

 

Anyway all I would say is I am looking forward to getting back to our nice quiet CL in a couple of weeks.

 

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not sure what your point is with this post, is it a complaint or observation? Of course the site is ‘heaving’. I would be concerned if it wasn’t at peak holiday season in any year let alone this year?! I do agree there are too many caravaners who cannot pass the time of day but equally we don’t all want to socialise either. And as for lots of people having BBQ’s ….. they are on holiday! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Flatcoat888 said:

I am not sure what your point is with this post, is it a complaint or observation? Of course the site is ‘heaving’. I would be concerned if it wasn’t at peak holiday season in any year let alone this year?! I do agree there are too many caravaners who cannot pass the time of day but equally we don’t all want to socialise either. And as for lots of people having BBQ’s ….. they are on holiday! 

I think it's just an observation (the clue is in the thread title) from someone used to CS/CLs about how different a commercial site is.

Edited by Richard080561
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Surprising to me that parents choose to take children to that sort of site. I would have thought that somewhere with more play space would be a better choice 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Richard080561 said:

I think it's just an observation (the clue is in the thread title) from someone used to CS/CLs about how different a commercial site is.


That’s my impression as well. A tongue-in-cheek view of today’s sites compared to CL’s. I like posts like this as it just shows we’re all different and in today’s doom & gloom news society it’s good to read anything light hearted 

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since Covid Started, we tend to use fully serviced adults only C/L's or adults only commercial sites. (just come back from an adults only commercial, this weekend). You tend to get the older type visitor's, that do say Hi and pass the time of day. Even the young couple in a Lunar Stellar on the pitch next to us said Hi, even with their phones permanently attached to a hand? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Whomer said:

What about the windbreak fortifications?

Just had a look and I can only see one wind break fortification!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found the report quite reassuring (for myself at least).

 

Like PR1, I tend to avoid CMHC sites in favour of quieter, ideally adult only Cls, but have been considering a few days on a CMHC site this August, as its easier to check availability via the online booking system, than ring loads of CLs, that are probably already full of people like myself. 

 

An indication of which site it is would be useful information (ie holiday resort location, or rural Scotland) and an update after the w/e, in case 'normal' humans are replaced by w/e revellers.

Edited by Lagerorwine
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Lagerorwine said:

I found the report quite reassuring (for myself at least).

 

Like PR1, I tend to avoid CMHC sites in favour of quieter, ideally adult only Cls, but have been considering a few days on a CMHC site this August, as its easier to check availability via the online booking system, than ring loads of CLs, that are probably already full of people like myself. 

 

An indication of which site it is would be useful information (ie holiday resort location, or rural Scotland)

Well the site is in South, south Devon! Not Hill head! That is my worst nightmare site!

If you are on Face book, I know many are not, there is an excellent CMC CL booking page with several hundred CL’s participating! 
Well worth a look !

Edited by PR1

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're on a CMC club site with limited facilities, rather like a very large CL. It's somewhere in Yorkshire🤪. Site full most of the time but with a lot of turnover . No play area and very few kids, the ones there are are well behaved. Even the dogs are properly controlled, which isn't always the case on CLs.  May have something to do with the Warden who seems to clamp down hard on any rule infringement.

Edited by MalH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, MalH said:

We're on a CMC club site with limited facilities, rather like a very large CL. It's somewhere in Yorkshire🤪. Site full most of the time but with a lot of turnover . No play area and very few kids, the ones there are are well behaved. Even the dogs are properly controlled, which isn't always the case on CLs.  May have something to do with the Warden who seems to clamp down hard on any rule infringement.

Adjacent to Cragg Road perhaps

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Lagerorwine said:

Adjacent to Cragg Road perhaps

Could be!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Lagerorwine said:

Adjacent to Cragg Road perhaps

Where is Cragg road!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Somewhere in Yorkshire it would seem.  Hebden Bridge?

A long way from South Devon then!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MalH said:

 May have something to do with the Warden who seems to clamp down hard on any rule infringement.


Ve haf ways of making your experience unenjoyable! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MalH said:

We're on a CMC club site with limited facilities, rather like a very large CL. It's somewhere in Yorkshire🤪. Site full most of the time but with a lot of turnover . No play area and very few kids, the ones there are are well behaved. Even the dogs are properly controlled, which isn't always the case on CLs.  May have something to do with the Warden who seems to clamp down hard on any rule infringement.

I have an aversion to sites that have wardens.  Prisons have wardens, places that I go on holiday shouldn't have wardens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Richard080561 said:

I have an aversion to sites that have wardens.  Prisons have wardens, places that I go on holiday shouldn't have wardens.


CC Wardens are there to police the sacred pegs and ensure compliance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Whomer said:


CC Wardens are there to police the sacred pegs and ensure compliance!

And to place one on the worst possible pitches when they become available especially if you book for a week or more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quite simply there are more people staying in the UK this ear than ever before and more have bought caravans and motorhomes. Almost all sites are going to be near full but club sites do have sensible spacing and will be well run. I have no problem with full sites and the club ones will not be overcrowded just full. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

Quite simply there are more people staying in the UK this ear than ever before and more have bought caravans and motorhomes. Almost all sites are going to be near full but club sites do have sensible spacing and will be well run. I have no problem with full sites and the club ones will not be overcrowded just full. 

A full campsite is overcrowded by my reckoning and so will be the surrounding attractions.
We will not be contributing to the melée this year.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do not accept that a decently spaced full camp site is overcrowded and having used CAMH sites this year that were full have not had this impression. I do accept that the point of overcrowding is an individual thing though.

It may also depend on which site you use, for York we chose Beechwood Grange which is well spaced and even full is difficult to describe as overcrowded. If you use Rowntree Park though where eerything is lined up it might be different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Which site in Devon did you stayed on PR1? 

 

It does depend on the layout of the site as to how overcrowded it appears and some pitches are worse than others.  We have stayed at sites where children have continuously ridden their bikes or run through our personal space next to our caravan.  The worst sites during school holidays do seem to be in Devon or Cornwall and near the coast.   However, there are a few good sites around and despite being full, give a feeling of space.   Look at the site maps before booking and ignore those where caravans are in rows and no hedges to separate tiers.  Some commercial sites allow the booking of actual pitches and that can be a great advantage in finding a quieter part of the site.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Parents who have made the lazy mistake of taking children to a Club site in Devon or Cornwall the summer holidays -and are finding how confined they are should really make more effort to find somewhere more suitable for next year . 


They could try Trewan Hall in Cornwall with 36 acres of fields and woodland for Primary school children, or River Dart country park in Devon  with non stop activities for teenagers.
 

 Club sites are for the most part hopeless for kids.  They are designed for pensioners with dogs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...