Acquiring a French "Pet Passport" instead of Pet Health Certificate each time you travel to the EU

We went to the vets today and whilst there booked an appointment for the Health Document for our two dogs as we are travelling to France on 1st September for six weeks.  The charge is £80 per dog which is quite reasonable compared to some vets charging up to £200 and they are only valid for four months.   They have had their rabies injections.

The vet said if you go more than once a year to Europe and are spending some time in the country rather than two weeks it is worth taking the trouble to obtain the French pet passport while you are there.  It is accepted throughout the EU Schengen area so would cover trips to Spain or other countries.  Other than ensuring the rabies injections are up to date and paying for boosters in the EU when they are due, there isn't a requirement to replace the passport every few years.  When we used a vet in France as one of the dogs was quite poorly we found them to be a lot cheaper than in the UK.  You would still have to get the rabies jab booster anyway in the UK for the travel document.

She said that you could get one even if you did not have a holiday home.  I do not know the cost.

Article in the French Connexion.  I think this was mentioned in another thread.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Brexit/Could-French-pet-passports-save-fees-for-regular-travel-with-pets-over-the-new-UK-animal-health-certificates-AHCs

It needs more investigation as this article isn't recent.  I wondered if CT European members knew anything more about this - ValA?

Certainly those who have an address in France are doing this - but whether you will find a vet in France who will issue pet passports to those are simply touring over there and have no address is something I have never seen answered. Perhaps you will be the first to try and then let us all know. 

Last time we were in France the vet issued a new French pet passport  as our one was full , at no charge.

Edited by tonyradstone

15 hours ago, tonyradstone said:

Last time we were in France the vet issued a new French pet passport  as our one was full , at no charge.

That is encouraging.  I presume you don't have a holiday home in France?

We intend to stop at one site for a good three weeks so hoping that is long enough to obtain one.

1 hour ago, meadowsweet said:

That is encouraging.  I presume you don't have a holiday home in France?

We intend to stop at one site for a good three weeks so hoping that is long enough to obtain one.

My daughter obtained French pet passports for her two dogs whilst they were searching, in France, for a house to buy last October..  The only problem they encountered was that the UK passports had the treatment details entered manually whereas the French Vet indicated that the detachable stickers from the phials should have been used.  Other than rectifying that problem  it was easy to do. 

They are now settled as French residents.

• 3 weeks later...

We have just returned too the uk :( after 6 weeks in our holiday home , it cost 45 euro for a french passport for our dog . It cost £140 for a health certificate in the uk !!! Rip off britain is still alive and kicking