13 Pin socket needs constant re-alignment

Lagerorwine

Every time I come to hitch up our new caravan, I find that I have to re-align the pins on the 13 pin plug, otherwise it won't insert into car socket. Tried removing it carefully when unhitching, but always the same. Never had a problem with previous caravan and same towcar

Am I doing something wrong? Is the plug faulty?  Does it need some form of lubrication? Should I ask dealer to replace under warranty?

All answers gratefully received.

Its happened to me on odd occasions, last time at the  dealers , so the mechanic gave me a special key to realign it without  damaging the socket,,,I clean it with Isopropyl Alcohol before I use it each year....

I have the key and need to use it every time I hitch up. When using the key, it 'clicks' back into place, when it re-aligns, and I think the pins move outwards?

18 minutes ago, Lagerorwine said:

I have the key and need to use it every time I hitch up. When using the key, it 'clicks' back into place, when it re-aligns, and I think the pins move outwards?

You simply are not doing it correctly. Only ever happened to me once! Never again. Today returned to storage from a long W/E near Welshpool. No problem s at all?

When uncoupling, just don't do anything with the fitting, after detachment. If you have a placement on the A frame cover to put the 13 pin socket, just place it there and don't turn it.

We had a Pegasus 462 and I think I had to realign the plug maybe a half dozen times in 6 years: the Unicorn 4 Seville we now have I have to realign <every time> I connect up.

I used to have  problems with alignment

I was twisting and pulling at the same time and it was coming out without tuning the 90 degrees 

but now when removing I do it slowly and twist all the way back 90 degrees before pulling it out never had a problem since

Parking plug in holder on A frame and having to bend thick cable, puts strain on plug. 

Since I stopped using holder not had problem.

Replace your 13 pin plug with a quality Italian one made one by Menbers. You will find it is supplied with a green "special key" which is in fact a waterproof cap which keeps the moving components aligned and best used instead of a fairing socket. I have had a Menbers plug on my caravan for 16 years and never experienced the problems outlined by the original poster.

https://www.towingandtrailers.com/product/trailer-parts/trailer-electrics/13pin-plugs-and-sockets-2/menbers-13pin-euro-plastic-trailer-plug-2/

John.

Edited by John19

I had same problem. Solved it the same way as Ashey. I've never had the problem since.

I read about this problem and bought a green key to put it case it happened to me whilst we were away,  but it never happened .  I must be doing something right !   :D

John.

I have this problem with my latest van. This trip I spent 40 minutes under the car twisting and turning with a green alignment plug until it finally went in. 

The dealer tells me I have no problem and to use the alignment tool. 

Time to change the plug which I will do when I get home next 

Once unplugged from the car, use the blue or green cap/key and twist it to lock it in place (as you would when connecting to the car). This helps keep everything where it should be when needed.

Without the key/cap I have found that moving the lead around can cause the wiring inside the outer sleeve of the cable to wrist slightly throwing the plug out of alignment.

Edited by GaryB1969

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Mine doesn't click into alignment, you can keep turning and turning so when you take the green thing off it becomes unaligned again. Going to fit a new plug

It has happened to me a couple of times and I am not aware of twisting the plug other than what is needed to put it in and take it out. I have the cheap plastic plug to realign them and rely on that.

• 2 weeks later...

Changed the plug so should have no more problems. 

The plastic inside the plug which stops the plug spinning had worn away so only the cable would stop the spin. Needless to say once the green thing was removed the cable unwound and needed realigning.