Weights again

LenV

Sorry to bring this up again, but. I cannot get my head around this topic. My car has Gross Train Mass is 4500kg.  Had car and caravan weighed comes in at 3983kg. My licence is B+E. Am I legal?

In so far as the information you've given you are clearly within the gross train weight of the car and you are licenced to drive a combination of over 3.5t so nothing amiss there.

However, without knowing more about the outfits individual axle weights, axle limits, MTPLM, towing limit, tow bar load etc. I don't think it's possible to declare your combination legal.

You are legal in regard to your licence but you could be in breach of the individual axle weights. I, too, feel that more information is required.

1 hour ago, LenV said:

Sorry to bring this up again, but. I cannot get my head around this topic. My car has Gross Train Mass is 4500kg.  Had car and caravan weighed comes in at 3983kg. My licence is B+E. Am I legal?

In respect of your licence entitlement and the gross train mass/weight data you have given… Yes,  you are legal.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Here is the information I think you require.

Gross vehicle weight = 2400kg

Gross train mass.         = 4500kg

Front axle                        = 1270kg

Rear axle                          = 1200kg

Max. towing weight   =2100kg

Towball                              = 90kg

Caravan = Buccaneer Flyute MTPLM 1800KG

Hope this helps

If you had weighed the caravan on its own you would know whether you were under the 1800kg MTPLM.

And, if you had weighed each of the car axles you would know that they too were within their limits.

3 minutes ago, OWOMW said:

If you had weighed the caravan on its own you would know whether you were under the 1800kg MTPLM.

And, if you had weighed each of the car axles you would know that they too were within their limits.

The OP didn’t actually ask whether or not he was under or over the MTPLM  or whether he was within or without his axle limits.  The question he did ask was simply:  

'Am I legal with a B+E licence, a plated gross train mass of 4,500 kg and an actual train weight of 3,983 kg'

The answer to that question is quite simply ‘yes’.  

I suspect the confusion on Gross Train Weight / Mass arises with the mixed use of mass and weight terminology.

On the basis of the original question, as the OP has a B+E licence he can drive a rig that has plated maximum weights that are more than 3500kg. In that regard he would be legal.

As indicated that does not necessarily mean that the caravan weight is under it's MTPLM. Or that the caravan weight is below the car's towing limit. Or that the whole car, or either  or both of its axles aren't over.oaded. There's more to matching a car and caravan than just the licence weights.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Discussed at length and in great detail her

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

• Steven locked this topic