MG Test drive…..

Flatcoat888

I've had 13 family Skoda's from the same dealer and 11 of those from the same salesman.

He knows I spend hours on Skoda forums helping others and have access to VCDS and parts and maintenance manuals. He knows I'll extensively research what I buy and what is and isn't needed on service.

Our handovers are now, "Thanks again, here's the keys". :blink:

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

If the Skoda Karot still came in 190tdi guise it would be a contender. The Kodak is too long. 

16 minutes ago, Flatcoat888 said:

If the Skoda Karot still came in 190tdi guise it would be a contender. The Kodak is too long. 

Kodiaq too big for me too.

Sign of the times with the diesel, more petrol options, less diesel. 

With my mileage the Karoq 2.0TSi 190 4x4 would be tempting.

But I'll be waiting for a PHEV option to become available. VAG seem slow to get models to market even though they have the drive trains in other model lineups.

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

It is shortage of components (semiconductors) and demand in EUlandia that is delaying the launch of more VW group PHEVS. The petrol Karot is just too light for my van. The Tiguan PHEV was due for UK launch but has been dropped from VW website. 

So pleased to see this thread as it means it is not just me that gets frustrated at car dealerships,we live in Wiltshire, have our own business and have backgrounds in sales, we run 5 vehicles, of which 2 came from Devon dealers,1 from Rotherham,1 from Kent and the other from Birmingham, only the 2 from Devon were a pleasure to buy, the Rotherham one was an internet sale, and was excellent in that it was delivered on time and was very well prepared.

most recent buy was 4 hour drive to view a car advertised as ''brand new pre registered with 100 miles''saw video car described as grey, got there it is green, mileage is 243 miles, salesman said will send second key, had to chase twice for second key, eventually rejected car as not as described, dealership then said car was a used car so mileage could be up to 1000 miles out,eventually agreed to collect the car from me, but by then I had a valuation from We Buy Any Car that was £1250 more than I paid, so no harm done in the long run,went to that dealership because our local dealer had a car available, when we went to view it the boot wouldn't open, other local dealer we made appointment due to Covid , when we got there salesman had taken car away for the weekend,seems they think they have a captive audience, and don't expect people to use the internet.On the other hand the Santa Fe we bought from Devon was prepared, cleaned and ready to test drive when we arrived, same with the Suzuki we bought in Devon, cleaned, polished, and ready to drive. OK  5 vehicles is not a big deal in the scale of things, but we wont even consider Citroen or Ford from our local dealers due to poor experience 10 years ago, still won't have them on a list for firms cars. So currently Hyundai, Suzuki, Peugeot and BMW.

I live in Devon and think I know the dealers you bought from. My experience is Hyundai, BMW and Audi ignored me. Peugeot, never again. The salesman was sacked the day I collected my last one because of the number of faults and defects he missed. Ford, ignored. Another Peugeot dealer told me I couldn't afford to buy a car- ordered the same afternoon else were.

MG told to take or leave it when discussing cost and I'm running out of dealers. 

Oh,, my caravan handovers take two minutes. I wave my phone over the card machine, collect the keys and drive away

If it wasn’t for the fact we are constrained with the list of cars/brands that can meet our needs (unfortunately nothing in the VAG brands works) I would not be pursuing MG further. Too many hybrid versions of cars have reduced tow weight limits and too many petrol only are too light. Very few diesel hybrids (even mild hybrid) so the net result is a very small pool to choose from. Changing the van is not an option. 

Hi webslinger

We bought from the then Hyundai dealer in Torquay,who was an independent,since been taken over by a larger group.Suzuki came from Kingsbridge

1 hour ago, Woodsieboy said:

Hi webslinger

We bought from the then Hyundai dealer in Torquay,who was an independent,since been taken over by a larger group.Suzuki came from Kingsbridge

Not Marsh Barton then

Neither dealership we tried to test drive an MG have followed up our visits. This is how car dealers used to be and it is disappointing to find such attitudes and behaviour still exists. I emailed MG UK and they phoned me to discuss and said they would be advising the National sales director of my experience. We have contacted Luscimbes in Leeds (a long established family company) as a final attempt. If that doesn’t work out we will abandon MG and in the absence of anything else we will concentrate on the Hyundai and Ford options. 

I suspect MG will have high depreciation, the ones we saw were not as well finished as Hyundai or Kia in our opinion. Price seems reasonable though. 

It's down to individual choice in the end. I'm surprised you bother with them given the attitude of the dealers.

We walked out of a Vauxhall dealership as we were ignored even though we had a Frontera bought from them at the time. We were looking at the Antara. We had a look then left. No one approached us as they were too busy chatting.

We bought our first Kia soon after.

Edited by 664DaveS

From what I can gather there is a shortage of new and second hand cars at the moment so dealers are not giving the deals they did earlier. In trying to buy I have found some sales staff not very easy to deal with at the end of the month. The conclusion I get is that if they have met their sales target they do not want to go seriously over this as it could mean next months goes up too high. On the other hand if they still need to hit their target then they will give you a good deal to help meet their target.  You need time stubborn ness and patience to get a good deal.

Posted (edited)

It is price to change that matters to me. High demand also drives up trade-in prices too. The MG is a bargain for me. Because of the deal for public sector I can get over 20% off list and cheap finance) and my wife likes it. Ford have 0% finance and Hyundai also offering good discounts. To be honest the build quality and most finishes of all the MG’s I have looked at has been very good, feel solid (tbh more so than the Hyundai) and every review I have read says same. Where MG suffer is some of infotainment firmware needs sorting and the auto box changes need reconfiguring. 

Edited by Flatcoat888

But the MG looks naff. Treat yourself to the Hyundai.

Posted (edited)

The MG is about £8k or 25% cheaper after discounts applied to both and more powerful in Hybrid mode. 

Edited by Flatcoat888

My neighbor now run a new mg estate I think it's the hybrid or electric if they make one.

His previous car was a Kia hybrid, and the one before a diesel Passat.

He is obviously happy with the MG which looks good to me as an estate.

I would endure with looking into buying one.