MG Test drive…..

Flatcoat888

Last Saturday we had a test drive booked at a dealership that is part of a very large multi franchise group. Turned up at the appointed time and and the salesman wasn’t ready. 35 mins later was taken for 10 minute drive round the town centre. I made it clear I couldn’t be expected to make a decision on that drive and asked for a long test drive (a day). Was told he would sort it after his hols….. no offer to get someone to set it up in his absence. He was clueless on towing and didn’t know the extras on the demo are in the MG accessories brochure, thought they were something bought that by pure chance fitted. So we contacted another dealer and they were happy to book us in for a half day test drive. Arrived slightly late due to traffic to find salesman dealing with a handover to a customer. No acknowledgement or attempt to ask quickly what we wanted. After 40 mins very obviously waiting we walked. Yesterday we had a test drive booked at a Hyundai dealers. The car was ready waiting freshly fuelled. The salesman who took our enquiry was off so had passed our details to a colleague. They are going to get a car of the spec we are interested in from Hyundai so we can have a half day trying it out. Fully knowledgeable on towing criteria. I really want to like the MG and it is a hell of a bargain with the discounts my job brings. But that sort of customer treatment needs addressing - like UK car selling used to be in the bad old days. The new Tucson is superb, in my view as good as Vauxhall/Ford/Peugeot and gives Skoda/SEAT strong competition and close to VW. 

If that is their attitude to sales I wouldn't  entertain them.

We have a Hyundai Santa Fe and have found the service as well as the car, excellent.

The new Tucson hybrid gets good reviews , we also like the new Santa Fe but ours is low mileage and immaculate so no plans to change at the moment.

I saw some MG products in our town centre before covid, not overly impressed.  British design but made in China, not for us.

Edited by 664DaveS

A few years ago, a friend of mine who worked at Mclarens, turned up at a Ferrari dealers (in a Mk2 Cavalier) to look at a used model. He was there at least 30 minutes but the salesman did not approach him...he left and bought one a few weeks later at another dealers. He later returned to the first dealer in his new Ferrari , just to purchase a key ring and made sure the ignorant salesman saw him.......

The MG is a good car and surprising quality and given I can get £7k public sector discount it is almost too good to not give it a chance. The finishes give my Volvo a run for their money. I am going to try once more and if that doesn’t come good then I will decide between new Hyundai Tucson and used XC40. 

I have bought a few cars in my time and find customer service is getting worse. You get more respect buying a tin of beans in a supermarket than spending £30k+ on a car the salesperson who ignores you can't afford. 

Whatever happened to getting a bunch of flowers for the wife with anew car too

I hate buying cars, it’s almost like some sales staff think they’re doing you a favour by simply acknowledging your existence. I live in the Midlands and ended up buying my Volvo from Volvo Poole as the local dealers were a special blend of ignorant and useless.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Shocking service by the MG dealers. Almost as shocking as their car's styling! We have a 2018 Tucson which is surprisingly well built and drives well (even though it is an SUV). So I'm sure the new Tucson only improves on this. 

Thankfully it's been several years since I've had to visit a dealers and engage with sales persons. The Tucson was bought seamlessly over WhatsApp from a main dealer - thanks Covid! My Octy was leased, then after two years I bought it off the finance company. No hassle at all... 

3 hours ago, Flatcoat888 said:

The MG is a good car and surprising quality and given I can get £7k public sector discount it is almost too good to not give it a chance. The finishes give my Volvo a run for their money. I am going to try once more and if that doesn’t come good then I will decide between new Hyundai Tucson and used XC40. 

If their attitude stinks before they've even got your money imagine what it'll be like come after sales. Personally I'd walk a mile, there are better options than MG.

Out of interest, is the MG dealer solely an MG dealer or is it cobbled together with another brand? Only reason i ask is, when my partner was looking for a new car 3 years ago the MG3 was alot of car for the money but the only place selling them was MG in burnley which was a nissan main dealer but the staff would only want to discuss nissan. Better commission maybe? 

Choosing a car is not just about the car, is it?

Huddersfield MG is a stand alone showroom with other brands adjacent in other showrooms (Kia and others). All part of large dealer group. Sheffield is a stand alone Independant one time MGRover, then Hyundai and now MG. neither are ‘back street’ premises or facilities. 

There will always be better cars at a price however car magazine reviews of the HS Hybrid are good. And where can you buy a new plug-in hybrid with a decent spec that will tow a mid size caravan for £26K? However if MG trade on price alone it will backfire. 

We've been looking at changing our car recently and we visited three different garages with very different levels of service.  No 1 was a nice guy, but not experienced or knowledgable (which can be forgiven) about the vehicle we were looking at; no 2 faffed about, really poor communicator, was late for the appointment, argued about the time of the appointment (even though I showed him the confirmation email), disappeared for 10 -15 minutes at a time.  We walked out.  No 3 -  a breath of fresh air.  Greeted us by name, introduced himself, had cars waiting for us to look at across the range.   We bought one from him.

If it wasn’t for the price and the MG offering a hell of a lot of car for the money I would be buying the Tucson already. At full list the MG isn’t quite as competitive albeit they do offer a 0% finance deal. Styling is subjective and I agree the MG isn’t a stand out design or create a distinctive design language of its own. the front is almost a straight Mazda CX-5 clone and none the worse for it. Not so keen on the bulbous rear haunches, a bit Kadjur, a bit Quashqui. If you squint it is a bit Audi Q5 meets Mazda meets GLB and the dashboard is very Mercedes, the gear selector and controls very BMW.  The Tucson is by far the better styling, to me a mix of recent Peugeot, Audi and Citroenesque front. It wouldn’t look amiss with a DS badge on it. The dash is very Mercedes EQ. As for used offerings so far the best deal offered is a first edition XC40 D4, mileage is a bit high otherwise a lovely car. 

11 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

I hate buying cars, it’s almost like some sales staff think they’re doing you a favour by simply acknowledging your existence. I live in the Midlands and ended up buying my Volvo from Volvo Poole as the local dealers were a special blend of ignorant and useless.

I did similar earlier this year. I live in Devon and our local dealer who we have bought 2 cars from didn't want to play. Ended up buying the car from Peterborough. The sales guy was useless and lied to us but the sales manager turned it around and sorted the deal. The car was sanitised and delivered on a transporter. So much easier these days not to tied to a local dealer what with Internet etc

I used to like the bouquet of flowers on the parcel shelf for the 'lady'  :)   Go back 20+ years and we were looking for a new car  and we would have the car for the weekend, which was handy as we were house hunting nearly 200 miles away, we used 3 cars from different dealers and ended buying a Jag, lovely car, plus we bought a house as well of course.  Now come forward a few years  and again looking to buy a car , the salesman immediately saw 2 old pensioners looking to waste his time and treated us just like that , told us to take the brochure away and read it.  So off we went to another dealer where  we had an appointment for a test drive and the sales man had gone on his holidays and took the car with him, anyway after the initial disappointment we were treated very well indeed and bought a car from them.   We used to get our car serviced at the first dealer so we went back to them when we wanted another new car, after a while a young girl came down , she was very polite but didn't know too much and had to go off and ask now and again. We did buy from her and told her the story of the last salesman we encountered there, oh yes she could believe us,  apparently he was known for choosing his sales, but he lost out with us , didn't he.

We bought at a distance last year although we made the trip to test drive and then to collect. Again a downright lieing salesman and problems that were only resolved when I got the finance company and Volvo UK involved. 

Recently had to change our tow car to pull a bigger 'van. Didn't really want to get rid of the Tiguan as it has been an excellent car.
Could only afford a second hand car this time around and older than the Tiggy :(
I contacted half a dozen dealers, a few of whom did take my car details and said would get back to me with a trade in price, but never did. Another couple didn't actually have the car that they were advertising, and one downright lied about the one he had on sale.
I ended up driving from Leicester to Leeds to do the deal on a used Santa Fe, the dealer called me several days to advise of progress for the service (new pads and tyres fitted) MOT and when it would be available. Agreed that if I didn't like the car when I arrived that my deposit would be refunded in full. 
Was welcomed very warmly by his college as we arrived a bit early and sales guy I had been in contact with was just finishing with another customer. Given the keys to have a good look around, taken on an hour test drive and did the deal. He even got me a number plate printed off for the caravan.
Called me a week later to check everything was OK.

I have also been in dealers and they have either ignored me or looked down their noses, (are you listening Local VW dealer that lost out to a rival dealership 30 miles away?)

I'm a bit of a petrolhead and do detailed research when I am looking to change our cars. I am amazed how little some salesmen know about the vehicles they are trying to sell. Frankly I would be embarrassed in their position and I frequently have to inform or correct them. Mind you I've experienced the same with caravan dealers. When buying our current caravan, being a long time caravanner, the only thing new to me was electric underfloor heating so I asked where the control for it was as it wasn't obvious (turned out to be hidden under the front sofa!). The handover agent insisted the van didn't have underfloor heating. I pointed out that both the Knaus brochure and their own advert suggested it had but he insisted not - tried to convince me that their advert reference to underfloor heating related to the floor level blown air outlets!! I gave up on the handover and took it up with the sales manager and he confirmed no underfloor heating. I argued the point so he reluctantly got on the phone to Knaus . . . "Gulp - really??" You couldn't make it up.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Had similar on my handover, was told the mic for Bluetooth radio was a temp sensor and Bailey had abandoned drop down spare wheels they are all on AL-KO  frames, even after I pointed out the nut under the bed for winding it down. Like Knauscol pretty experienced on most things but Alde heating was new to me and about the only thing I wanted help on….ahhhh, she says, don’t know much about how that works. Odd thing was, she wasn’t an employee but was hired purely for handovers because she was so good! Never got a reply from sales manager after pointing out the inaccuracies.

Just noticed predictive text had changed handovers to hangovers - gave a whole new meaning to the sentence 😀😀.

22 minutes ago, KnausCol said:

I'm a bit of a petrolhead and do detailed research when I am looking to change our cars. I am amazed how little some salesmen know about the vehicles they are trying to sell. 

Agreed. I now simply view a salesman as an admin link between my bank account and theirs.

Salesman are employed to sell and apart from us rare petrol-heads no one is interested in the dynamics of the car or other technical aspects. My nephew used to sell Audi and my ex sold various brands. I could write a book about their experiences but one that comes to mind was taking a middle aged woman and mother for a test drive in a then new model Corsa. After a while on a dual carriageway with the engine revving hard my ex tentatively suggested changing up to 5th. ‘We don’t do 5th’ came the reply, ‘4 gears is good enough for us’….!! 

Nowadays they seem to focus more on selling you finance/paint protection/other commission services rather than the actual car.

Our van dealers give a very thorough handover and know the product. With our previous Vigo the aftersales  manager showed us everything including a thorough introduction to the Alde heating which was new to us . (Cosford Caravans). On collecting our Cadiz they again were very thorough.

The sales lady who sold us our Mini was very knowledgeable and professional.

On collecting it we were shown into the handover bay and asked to check it, once satisfied she went through all of the controls and the menu system even offering to pair my phone to the car.   Rybrook Mini Shrewsbury . A good dealership.

Edited by 664DaveS

4 hours ago, mimo said:

He even got me a number plate printed off for the caravan.

When I ordered my new caravan, I was surprised that the dealer didn't offer to supply a number plate for me and it was only after asking that I got a hitch cover - I would have thought that both of these would be 'free' advertising for them promoting the dealership. As it turned out, the car dealer had swapped the plates for ones with their name on and had saved the old ones as he remembered that I wanted the bigger car for towing. Took it to the dealer on collection day and one of the staff stuck it on the new van but it wasn't central to the space or level either. Got home, removed it and refitted - but it should have been done properly in the first place.

2 hours ago, 664DaveS said:

even offering to pair my phone to the car.  

The car was my first with Bluetooth and the salesman paired it with my phone as part of the handover.

The Hyundai salesman offered to pair my wife's  phone. As we are retired we are not bothered. All our music is on an I pod. The car has USB so it plays, charges and displays tracks etc on the car screen plus it lets you use the buttons on the wheel. Neat.

My old Saab just had an auxiliary jack!

Our Mini does the same once you find the settings in the menu.