Best high data sim option

I took up a offer from Three nearly 2 years ago on a unlimited data mobile broadband package. I’ve had this set up on sites we’ve been to hooked up to a poynting external antenna. It has been a total waste of money. The 4g has been extremely poor, even when tried at home.  So Off the bat I’m ruling out Three or Smarty to use for mobile in my caravan. I would like a sim where it’s the most cost effective for my needs. We mostly use our caravan for one to two weeks at a time from March till October and use the internet for streaming services on our TVs, aswell as the usual browsing, emails etc. I’ve been looking at 30 day contracts and PAYG but just wondering what you good people use or recommend.

Always had EE had 4g coverage everywhere even the highlands of Scotland just took out new sim only 150 go of data unlimited calls unlimited texts for £14 a month we hotspot iPads of it can’t fault EE

1 minute ago, dobbo said:

Always had EE had 4g coverage everywhere even the highlands of Scotland just took out new sim only 150 go of data unlimited calls unlimited texts for £14 a month we hotspot iPads of it can’t fault EE

I agree with you. Me, my wife and 2 daughters moved from 3 to EE and find it a far superior network. It would be my preference to have the router and n EE. Was that a existing customer price you paid? 

I was out of contract phoned up said I saw the deal on hduk said had to speak to manager came back and said ok 👍🏻 

My SIM only deal is finishing so thinking of going mifi route but can I use the sim in both my phone and then swap it out into the mifi?

2 hours ago, Scaramanga said:

I took up a offer from Three nearly 2 years ago on a unlimited data mobile broadband package. I’ve had this set up on sites we’ve been to hooked up to a poynting external antenna. It has been a total waste of money. The 4g has been extremely poor, even when tried at home.  So Off the bat I’m ruling out Three or Smarty to use for mobile in my caravan. I would like a sim where it’s the most cost effective for my needs. We mostly use our caravan for one to two weeks at a time from March till October and use the internet for streaming services on our TVs, aswell as the usual browsing, emails etc. I’ve been looking at 30 day contracts and PAYG but just wondering what you good people use or recommend.

I use a Smarty payg sim on 30 day rolling setup.  You can pause it when you wish and top up online to resume. Various amounts of GB per month up to unlimited.

Another EE user here, my wife is with sky and daughter O2.

EE had the best coverage. I'm on unlimited everything for £28 per month with BT sport and 5g where available.

I have got a 4g mifi if the signal is poor that I can take the SIM out of my phone and use but so far tethering through the phone has been fine.

9 minutes ago, beejay said:

I use a Smarty payg sim on 30 day rolling setup.  You can pause it when you wish and top up online to resume. Various amounts of GB per month up to unlimited.

I currently have Three mobile broadband contract that has been absolutely dire wherever I have been with the caravan. As Smarty uses the Three network I have ruled them out . Although I have just been in a online chat with Lebara and Voxi that are doing similar deals to Smarty and also work a similar way 👍🏻

Told yesterday from a friend that uses only mobile data that he has been using this for a while now on a mi fi.

said he never had any problems either. Also other plans available….

might be worth looking at ..

be interested in what other members think about it ….

https://www.1pmobile.com/index.taf?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw-nQ2YiQ8gIVBe3tCh31ww56EAQYByABEgJKXvD_BwE

Edited by Sonar

I too am just about to have my 3 Internet with legs data sim reach it's two years what is the best buy at present of another 3 Internet on legs if anyone still buying these?

Thanks

1 hour ago, David 38 said:

I too am just about to have my 3 Internet with legs data sim reach it's two years what is the best buy at present of another 3 Internet on legs if anyone still buying these?

Thanks

Ours expires in Sept, but have you seen the current prices? Really high compared with what we paid 2 years ago. We’re lucky that we now have increased data with our phone packages, but I’m still going to hunt down a data sim for the MiFi, as we sometimes find we get a better signal through that.

EE seem cheap enough, 200gb for £28 a month. I was looking at 160gb for 20 a month,  (calls and messages unlimited). Paying £8 for 6gb with the Yorkshire one  at the moment so need to change as want to try mifi.

Lots of other deals.

EE doing unlimited data for £25 if you ask 

We have an unlimited Smarty SIM card in a Huawei dongle. This works over the 3mobile network. All I can say is that it has been perfect reception everywhere.

Inwould be inclined to look at the  device you have it in.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

17 hours ago, Sonar said:

Told yesterday from a friend that uses only mobile data that he has been using this for a while now on a mi fi.

said he never had any problems either. Also other plans available….

might be worth looking at ..

be interested in what other members think about it ….

https://www.1pmobile.com/index.taf?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw-nQ2YiQ8gIVBe3tCh31ww56EAQYByABEgJKXvD_BwE

They are on the EE network so coverage and quality should be good. However you need to be aware that they require a minimum £10 top-up every four months whether you need the top-up or not. There is also a discount if you are still in credit one year on - ISTR you don't need to top up on the fourth event. BUT if you fail to top up in the four-month window you account expire immediately.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, PR1 said:

We have an unlimited Smarty SIM card in a Huawei dongle. This works over the 3mobile network. All I can say is that it has been perfect reception everywhere.

The device was supplied by three. A huawei b535 router, which is also connected to a Poynting external antenna. Infact me, my wife and both my daughters we with three for 13 years but only the last few years we have noticed the service has gone really poor wherever we go. So enough was enough and switched to EE and haven’t looked back 

28 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

They are on the EE network so coverage and quality should be good. However you need to be aware that they require a minimum £10 top-up every four months whether you need the top-up or not. There is also a discount if you are still in credit one year on - ISTR you don't need to top up on the fourth event. BUT if you fail to top up in the four-month window you account expire immediately.

Wow good find 👍🏻. Looks great value for 50gb and should last a couple of weeks

Edited by Scaramanga

smarty has never let me down so far on a cheap mifi router , never had a problem with my iptv service, phone signal etc, all great

For those about to renew with 3 my contract at home came to an end in April and I threatened to leave, ended up with unlimited data on a  2 year contract, new Huawei 535 router  all for the princely sum of £15 a month.

I did ask for it at £12 a month but failed on that.😎

On 02/08/2021 at 08:57, PR1 said:

I agree - 3 here using who are we? and have great reception.  I ahve the Poynting aerial and it stays in the garage.

All of these so much a month deals are of no use to me, or lots like me, I have a Tesco PAYG  phone with Data switched off. I caravan for maybe 12 to 14 weeks per year. A monthly deal is too expensive, all I need is a set number of Gig with a long expiry time. At this time I have a "3" internet with legs and a Chinese spy company MiFi. But sometimes reception on 3 is bad so I would like the option of a sim that will give Gigs that are not short time limited. I struggle to find one that will not tie me to a monthly payment. I would rather pay £40 for 25Gig that times out after 24 months than £15 a month for a connection I may only use for 12 weeks in the year.

Any option available??

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone using the connectivity intermittently e.g. a trip every few months, you might want to consider Sky Mobile (on O2) as they allow carry-forward of unused data (via the "piggy bank" :) ). For example, an 8GB/month contract currently costs £8 a month (from memory). But you can think of it as a 12x8=72GB annual contract where data from idle months can be accumulated to be used later.