Route from M6 Junction 38 Tebay to Appleby with Caravan

Hello there.  Can someone please advise me as to the best route to Appleby  from the M6.? I could go on to Junction 40 and then take the A66  but this  seems a long way round. Alternatively there is the A685 to Brough then A66 or the B6260 via Orton. The B 6260 may not be suitable for caravans?  Any advice graefully received.Thanks David.

Dave,

I towed the B6260 last year from near Appleby, where we were staying in a CL, to Jnct 38 and it is not a problem towing a caravan.

The via Brough route A685 involves a steep climb out of Ravenstonedale and Kirkby Stephen is a bit of a nightmare at times with a van on the back whilst going on to Penrith for the A66 is very much longer.

I don't know the area but Google street view shows the B6260 to be quite a good road.

A few years ago that is the type of question you ask on the RAC website then you could print a map of directions.

don’t know if that service is still available since gps systems …SOME can avoid bridges tolls ferry’s etc. Pick the best route fastest etc etc 

Thanks so much. The B6260 it is then and will look at RAC 

.Very helpful  David.

I've driven the B6260 many times and it's the shortest and best. 

I agree to avoid Kirkby Stephen. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Go to J40 at Penrith and take the A66 to Scotch Corner. Appleby is well signed. Much the best route and easiest drive.

He's going to Appleby not Scotch Corner 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I've never had a problem with Kirby Stephen and that's towing an 8' wide van - we have stayed a couple of times at Pennine View Caravan Park (nice site) when we take the van into service at ALV.

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695