Bailey Autograph 79-4

AllanGeks

Hi, I have recently took delivery of a Bailey Autograph 79-4 motorhome in June 21, albeit 3 months late. Having come across a few minor build quality issues which will hopefully be rectified under warranty, my main issue with the unit is the fresh water system and the accuracy of it. Both times we have been away we have had the same problems, the latest example is after filling the tank to 75%  then filling the kettle and washing up two cups in the basin the tank was showing 13% and low water warning on the panel. However unscrewing the cap on the inside under the floor hatch showed that the tank was almost full, the problem is that when the tank is showing around 8% on the panel the pump will no longer run. Before anyone says you need to calibrate the sensor, I have done this, not that it stated that this needed to be done in the manual, it does not even cover recalibration, I found the sensor calibration menu by accident whilst scrolling through the menu on the control panel. Has anyone else experienced similar issues. The Autograph has the Whale system fitted which I believe is used in their caravan range as well, I don't fancy a 300 mile round trip back to the dealer that supplied the unit if I am doing something stupid, but may have to is I cannot resolve it. I have never experienced this in my previous MH's (Pilote and Autotrail) which have had excellent and accurate fresh water systems, you would think that all manufacturers  would adopt systems which would be fairly reliable in this day and age with the technology that is now available. Any advice or first hand experience of this would be greatly appreciated.

Try the Bailey owners Club Facebook page.  A wealth of experience and information on there. 

a rep. from Whale often comes on this site to offer help

WhaleSupport 

Hi My name is Hayley and I work in the marketing team at Whale. Please feel free to contact our Customer Service Team who will do all they can to assist you with your query. You can call them on 0345 9090 911 or email info@whalepumps.com. Alternatively, please privately send me the best number to get you on and I will get one of our team to give you a call. Best wishes, Hayley

As far as I am aware most manufactures use the same system which is four different length rods hanging down into the water and they use the water as an electrical return  to detect its presence.  It seems the longest and shorted are working and the middle two are not.
From memory you will find, on the top of the tank a connector with four poss. five thin wires. Check these are not damaged and see if you can follow them back to a connection point or PCB, looking for an unseated connection.

Don’t think you are doing anything wrong and it is a simple system.

Edited by Stagn8

Forgive if this sounds silly but you did empty the tank completely before the recalibration?  I had a similar problem with my previous Bailey motorhome, Approach 740, after a service. The tank was full but you could only use half of it.  Have you seen this file which goes through the process?

David

Water Tank Level Sensor Section.pdf

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Sounds like the tank height is wrong. The control panel will have a hidden menu where the probe length is set. The PDF above shows how to enter the hidden menu. 

Edited by halifaxdan

Having owned a good few motorhomes over the years I can assure you that the contents gauges for fresh and waste water are ultra UNreliable!! 

They work on a totally different (and less reliable/effective) principle as detailed above by Stagn8, than fuel gauges (which use a float determine the liquid levels) 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.