Jump to content

Carrying ebikes when towing, how do others carry them?


dbn
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 01/08/2021 at 11:34, Squash said:

Is it really harder to balance with smaller wheels?  Serious question.  

Been thinking of getting a couple of bikes with smaller wheels and now hearing this has rung a few bells. 

No I wouldn't say harder but they are a little more skittish until you get used to them, but I was commuting around London on wet winter mornings.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

 

I dispute the “easily be cut”  statement.There are security chains and locks for use with multi thousand pound motorbikes so what’s wrong with using one of them?  I have a multi strand cable I use with my (cheap) bikes and that certainly cannot be “easily” cut (which is why I bought it) 

 

It can be cut of course, but it would require a pretty hefty bit of kit which isn’t something your average opportunist bike thief will be carrying. Plus of course it would be on a campsite not in a town centre.

 

Do you only ever ride ride your bike out from your house and back again without stopping anywhere??  Nose, face, spite, cut  comes to mind, but each to his own of course. 

 

I dispute your claims too. Maybe I have a more up to date and realistic attitude when it comes to security of bikes. Most chains can be cut easily, perhaps you just don't know how the thieves do it nowadays? Whereas I do, so I wouldn't leave a £2k bike unattended anywhere. Would you leave £2k in cash tied to lamppost with a chain? Dont come running here if your bike chain gets cut and bike stolen.

 

Edited by JCCD
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, JCCD said:

 

 Most chains can be cut easily, perhaps you just don't know how the thieves do it nowadays?

 

It's true - they can be easily cut.   But is it likely to happen on a site with caravanners knocking about.   My own e-bike when I'm on site, stays at the back of the caravan.   It has a good quality D-shackle on the back wheel and frame, a plastic covered wire with combination lock through the frame and around the cranks, then a length of 30mm link chain through the frame, through the front wheel and then through the loop on the caravan steady.    All under a plastic cover.   Safe as the B of E!

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a realistic view of theft, and the likelihood of theft. No security device is 100% effective, that’s why insurance companies exist!! 

 

Realistically it is highly unlikely (but of course not impossible) that an opportunist thief will be lugging around the kit necessary to defeat a decent quality chain and padlock. And, if they start to use it on a campsite don’t get spotted (or heard)  by someone. 

 

For the  avoidance of doubt I often leave a £20k caravan secured with a wheel lock that many claim can be removed easily! And a car of a similar value gets left in all sorts of places. Car immobilisers can be overridden easily apparently! 

 

Little point in spending a lot of money on something if you are too frightened to use it! (Personal viewpoint if course) 

 

The  fear of crime is vastly greater than the likelihood of it.  

 

 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I have a realistic view of theft, and the likelihood of theft. No security device is 100% effective, that’s why insurance companies exist!! 

 

Realistically it is highly unlikely (but of course not impossible) that an opportunist thief will be lugging around the kit necessary to defeat a decent quality chain and padlock. And, if they start to use it on a campsite don’t get spotted (or heard)  by someone. 

 

For the  avoidance of doubt I often leave a £20k caravan secured with a wheel lock that many claim can be removed easily! And a car of a similar value gets left in all sorts of places. Car immobilisers can be overridden easily apparently! 

 

Little point in spending a lot of money on something if you are too frightened to use it! (Personal viewpoint if course) 

 

The  fear of crime is vastly greater than the likelihood of it.  

 

 

 

I know differently, but lets leave it at that.

It's not the fear of crime that stops me taking my ebike, it's the realistic knowledge of what actually happens.

 

28 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

 

It's true - they can be easily cut.   But is it likely to happen on a site with caravanners knocking about.   My own e-bike when I'm on site, stays at the back of the caravan.   It has a good quality D-shackle on the back wheel and frame, a plastic covered wire with combination lock through the frame and around the cranks, then a length of 30mm link chain through the frame, through the front wheel and then through the loop on the caravan steady.    All under a plastic cover.   Safe as the B of E!

 

Well it's your judgement call, but from my knowledge and experience with dealing with these matters on an almost daily basis, they are all easily defeated, and often are. I take my normal bile with me in the caravan, and leave my ebike at home. Theres nobody about on caravan sites int he early hours of the morning, perfect time for a thief to steal bikes. It's happened a lot at Clumber CC site.

 

Edited by JCCD
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

 

I dispute the “easily be cut”  statement.There are security chains and locks for use with multi thousand pound motorbikes so what’s wrong with using one of them? 

 

Nothing.

 

Our two electric mountain bikes totalling silly money are secured with such a £££ chain passing through the rear wheels and frames right now.

 

Too heavy to wheel away or lift.

 

But, we do only stay at supposedly secure sites in decent areas, security bloke here sitting at the gate 24/7 due to a recent attempted incursion by the tarmac brigade. :angry:

 

A CL bordering on the suburbs of say Liverpool? (sorry Liverpool) well I wouldn't even leave the caravan unattended there. 

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Griff said:

 

Sorry Glen and Les it was my comment.

 

It was tongue in cheek as when I tried the smaller wheeled version I wes wobbling all over the place and I think I looked funny.

Ok, I forgive you, because I had a bit of a chuckle visualising that scenario lol. 😂

Glen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing like as funny as watching someone unfamiliar with “clip in” pedals/shoes coming to a halt at traffic lights and trying to release a foot before they fall over :o

 

Yep, personal experience time!!

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...