Carrying ebikes when towing, how do others carry them?

dbn

How do you transport ebikes whilst towing the caravan?

I have carried non ebikes on the car roof using an Atera powered lift carrier which is rated at 20kg so would lift the bike minus battery but unfortunately the geometry of the frame will not alloy fitting to the Atera rack, should have done more research!!

I wondered if anyone had a solution? Please

dbn

Ours get carried like this with front wheels out but decent headroom is required which not all will have.

Not sure in your case.

20210612_072346.png.f5e764b8e661ad03f958e1bd1cc56d2b.png

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

We specifically wanted to fit them in our Passat estate so we bought Raleigh Stow-e-ways. Only catch is we need to remove the saddle and post to get them in!

And for anyone who is used to a 26" or 28" wheel, believe me relearning to ride a bike - one with 20" wheels - can be positively scary!!!

Try 16 inch of a Brompton!!

Is it really harder to balance with smaller wheels?  Serious question.  

Been thinking of getting a couple of bikes with smaller wheels and now hearing this has rung a few bells. 

I had one of these folders a while back.

There were two options, 20" or 26".

I went for the 26" as the smaller wheeled seemed odd to ride and better suited to a circus.

DSCF0256.JPG.f62fcaa4020076983fa1224ab3e921c8.JPG

I have used one of these without any issues for the e bikes, when I had the xc90. I then changed to a custom sport Lwb and fitted the Thule bike rack in the back. 

F2EC1623-B640-43C9-B56D-3C356323B600.jpeg

9F74446A-1298-4E86-BB33-BE3EEF5241D1.jpeg

Edited by outnumbered
Spelling

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

It’s a logistical nightmare. We’ve been carrying two Ebike folders with 20” wheels in the car in their bags - no problem - but we also have two 26” wheel full size ebikes which we now want to take with us. We can get one in the back of the car, with the rear seat down and front wheel off, but the other will need to travel in the caravan - not ideal. We are in the process of assessing everything in the caravan to shed sone weight to carry the one bike. Fortunately, all our stuff is in the house at the moment, as the caravan is back and fore the dealers for warranty work. It’s amazing what we have been able to “leave out”.

For those of you worrying about the stability of 20” wheels - don’t. They are great bikes - just take a little bit more getting used to. In fact I find my Folder easier to handle than the full size bike.

4 hours ago, Griff said:

I had one of these folders a while back.

There were two options, 20" or 26".

I went for the 26" as the smaller wheeled seemed odd to ride and better suited to a circus.

DSCF0256.JPG.f62fcaa4020076983fa1224ab3e921c8.JPG

That made me laugh!  I saw a few elderly couples riding matching ebikes with tiny wheels whilst on holiday.  

They just needed the red noses!

16 hours ago, dbn said:

How do you transport ebikes whilst towing the caravan?

I have carried non ebikes on the car roof using an Atera powered lift carrier which is rated at 20kg so would lift the bike minus battery but unfortunately the geometry of the frame will not alloy fitting to the Atera rack, should have done more research!!

I wondered if anyone had a solution? Please

dbn

My eBike travels on the Thule car roof rack (however it is a conversion).  We remove the battery before lifting up and positioning, it is quite a heavy bike even without the eBike bits and bobs.  Husband on small aluminium lightweight step ladder we carry with us in the car and me on caravan steps next to him doing it together.

The one disadvantage about the converted eBike is it is now quite heavy.  I over balanced when I put my foot down when slow turning at a tight corner at the camp site entrance, luckily landed on turf!

fwiw ...

Am sure have read a while ago about a Bikes laid flat on Car roof carrying system. The car roof carrying 'rack' slides off the car roof on a rail system and then sits at the side of the car for loading up the bike(s) vertically & securing. Solves the issue of lifting bikes onto roof bars and then securing vertically in-situ.  Clearly for weight you would remove an e-bike battery prior regardless. Its a bit like the automatic 'folding wheelchair on car roof system' you sometime see but is simpler & manually operated.

You then push the rack upwards and it pivots 90 deg to then lay flat on the roof and locks into place. I think the handlebars would need rotating 90 degs to lay flat. 

It seemed easy on the demo I watched but would take a bit of practice and adjustments for specific bike models etc. Mitigates some of the noise issues of bikes on car roofs.

Have also seen inside Caravan mounting points and tie down eyes as well. Yes weight issues.

The issue of carry Bicycles in or on a Car & Caravan outfit is un-resolved for many folks units.

M

I have an ebike bit never take it with me when caravanning due to security when away from the caravan. Also, whilst their are roof racks that carry a bike laid flat, I don't think they would take the weight of an ebike even with battery removed - mine weighs 23kg, lifting that onto a roof wouldn't be easy

I wouldn't want to carry a bike inside my caravan, and wouldn't want to leave it behind when out in the car away from the caravan.

Edited by JCCD

24 minutes ago, montesa said:

fwiw ...

Am sure have read a while ago about a Bikes laid flat on Car roof carrying system. The car roof carrying 'rack' slides off the car roof on a rail system and then sits at the side of the car for loading up the bike(s) vertically & securing. Solves the issue of lifting bikes onto roof bars and then securing vertically in-situ.  Clearly for weight you would remove an e-bike battery prior regardless. Its a bit like the automatic 'folding wheelchair on car roof system' you sometime see but is simpler & manually operated.

You then push the rack upwards and it pivots 90 deg to then lay flat on the roof and locks into place. I think the handlebars would need rotating 90 degs to lay flat. 

It seemed easy on the demo I watched but would take a bit of practice and adjustments for specific bike models etc. Mitigates some of the noise issues of bikes on car roofs.

Have also seen inside Caravan mounting points and tie down eyes as well. Yes weight issues.

The issue of carry Bicycles in or on a Car & Caravan outfit is un-resolved for many folks units.

M

That’s the one I posted a picture off . 

138C6FEB-A5F5-429D-A37F-42C0D4DC890E.jpeg.0f6e54c38c176694a5e18a0a4f36cf82.jpeg

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

When I'm towing, my e-bike travels folded in the back of the car.   It would go on the rack in front of the caravan, but I don't because of the excess weight on the tow-bar.   Once I arrive on site, I unload the bike and during my stay, carry it on the rack.

IMG_20200719_102406.jpg.96c130b9243db0be8283d31612d51822.jpg

IMG_20200519_154122.jpg.1e6d24801f77fbc1bbe90c5364351042.jpg

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

44 minutes ago, outnumbered said:

That’s the one I posted a picture off . 

138C6FEB-A5F5-429D-A37F-42C0D4DC890E.jpeg.0f6e54c38c176694a5e18a0a4f36cf82.jpeg

Yes you are correct that is the very item in your earlier post. Didnt read in enough detail. M 

The OP`s question is one I have been considering as I may have that bridge to cross in the future.

Currently, I just whip the batteries off and lift them onto the cycle carriers on the roof rack (they are full size bikes), as the BMW is low enough to allow me to lift them cleanly into postion. I have been looking at a vehicle swap to a Kuga/CX5/Tiguan sort of car and the extra height may well be problematical - and as I can can draw my pension next year it is reasonable to assume I`m not going to get any taller or stronger!

3 hours ago, meadowsweet said:

I saw a few elderly couples riding matching ebikes with tiny wheels whilst on holiday.  

They just needed the red noses!

So have elderly couples taking a bit of exercise become figures of fun now. ?:unsure:

3 hours ago, JCCD said:

I wouldn't want to carry a bike inside my caravan, and wouldn't want to leave it behind when out in the car away from the caravan.

Get a decent length of chain or cable and use that to lock your bikes to the chassis of your caravan!

Thread the chain through one of the holes in the chassis rail, simples!  Well that’s what we do.

(Folding bikes, they travel in bike bags in the back of estate car) 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Get a decent length of chain or cable and use that to lock your bikes to the chassis of your caravan!

Thread the chain through one of the holes in the chassis rail, simples!  Well that’s what we do.

(Folding bikes, they travel in bike bags in the back of estate car) 

There isn't a practical chain or cable that can't easily be cut, so I wont take the risk. My ebike cost over £2k, so I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on a chain or cable.

12 hours ago, Jaydug said:

So have elderly couples taking a bit of exercise become figures of fun now. ?:unsure:

Quite. I was a bit miffed by the circus comment too. 

6 minutes ago, Glen and Les said:

Quite. I was a bit miffed by the circus comment too. 

Sorry Glen and Les it was my comment.

It was tongue in cheek as when I tried the smaller wheeled version I wes wobbling all over the place and I think I looked funny.

10 hours ago, JCCD said:

There isn't a practical chain or cable that can't easily be cut, so I wont take the risk. My ebike cost over £2k, so I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on a chain or cable.

I dispute the “easily be cut”  statement.There are security chains and locks for use with multi thousand pound motorbikes so what’s wrong with using one of them?  I have a multi strand cable I use with my (cheap) bikes and that certainly cannot be “easily” cut (which is why I bought it) 

It can be cut of course, but it would require a pretty hefty bit of kit which isn’t something your average opportunist bike thief will be carrying. Plus of course it would be on a campsite not in a town centre.

Do you only ever ride ride your bike out from your house and back again without stopping anywhere??  Nose, face, spite, cut  comes to mind, but each to his own of course. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

11 hours ago, JCCD said:

lets be honest, all security is a deterrent, we  lock up our house to go on holiday  but  we hope the neighbours have kept an eye on things as well as us  having insurance. Life's a gamble, but spending that amount on bikes, perhaps it is best to leave them at home, hoping they will be secure there. 

We were at Tredegar House earlier this year  and you are warned about bike theft on site. Apparently it's local lads , so we were told , opportunist thieves. One morning my OH was out with the dogs  at 5 am  and found 2 E bikes just inside the gates so it looks like he disturbed them.  He knocked on the wardens door to let him know, he was up and about  BTW. 

I have a "secure gold" flexible chain that I loop through the alloy of the caravan, the wheel is secured by locking wheel nuts, the bikes are then linked together with two "secure gold" solid bike locks. The bikes are insured via our home contents insurance. There is a caveat with the insurance  that the bikes need to be secured to a fixed secure post or similar whilst unattended. I spoke to the insurance, and they were happy with the arrangements, and had a note put on the insurance that the alloy of the caravan is sufficient provided the alloy has locking wheel nuts.

I used to load our bikes onto a roof mounted cycle carrier when we had an Audi estate but the Cayenne is so tall it's a real struggle. THIS looks like a great solution - albeit at an eye watering price!

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

2 hours ago, KnausCol said:

THIS looks like a great solution - albeit at an eye watering price!

Yes - it's an ingenious bit of kit but at a ridiculous price.   Also the blurb is a bit misleading.   The guy says about it being tested up to 200Kgs, but the carrying capacity on the roof of many estate cars is 75Kgs, and with the rack itself weighing in at 29Kgs, the safe load may be down to 46Kgs.