Bosal Detachable Tow Bar

Shakespeare

I have a Bosal detachable tow bar ,dealer fitted to my 2006 Honda CRV. Although old the towbar has not seen a lot of use, then only towing a small trailer for a few miles at a time. Recently I've noticed that when fitted, the ball end of the bar has quite a lot of both horizontal and vertical movement .. about 5 to 6mm each way. Is this normal, or is it worn and unsafe to use ? Even with this movement, it does seem to be securly locked.

Second, the key has snapped of in the lock, leaving half of the key in the lock. It's snapped off in a position where I can still fit and remove the bar. Does anyone know if there is a way to "open" the locking mechanism to get to the broken bit. Luckily I do have two spare keys.  Gordon

There definitely should not be that amount of movement in the tow ball and I would regard it as unsafe to use. I would have thought if the key has snapped off in a position where you can fit and remove the ball then it is not properly locked in position.

I certainly wouldn't use it in its current state. Try a locksmith to see if you can get the broken key extracted.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

There's a risk of major attachment failure and I'd get the entire assembly  checked over by a towbar fitting company. At the very least they will probably be able to sort out the broken key.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.