Removing Jockey wheel whilst Towing

Hi everyone.

I am new to this site and was looking for an owners manual for an Avondale Golden Osprey 2008 which I have recently purchased. I have seen there are copies on here but how do I access them?

Another question I have is that on towing my old caravan ready to part ex, I went over some speed ramps which knocked out my jockey wheel which later came loose whilst driving down the motor way. The caravan store said some people remove the jockey wheel before travelling is this something anyone does?

Many thanks 

Kieran

I've never known anyone who does that, but that's just me 

When my JW is fully up, there's no chance of it catching on anything

Welcome to the site...Just make sure the wheel is fully drawn up and nice and tight....As a back up, after seeing unscrewing  jockey wheels on other vans on our travels I use a bungy strap for the jockey wheel...also use another  short one in a loop to stop the electric  cable  hanging down.... 

Edited by gtepete

5 minutes ago, kieranh said:

I am new to this site and was looking for an owners manual for an Avondale Golden Osprey 2008 which I have recently purchased. I have seen there are copies on here but how do I access them?

Hi Kieran,

The heading to the Avondale section explains that the manuals we hold are free for our Approved Members to download, and now that you have posted on CMT your profile will have been automatically checked and you should now have been upgraded from Registered Member.

image.png

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/130915-avondale-coachcraft-ltd-owners-manuals

8 minutes ago, kieranh said:

Another question I have is that on towing my old caravan ready to part ex, I went over some speed ramps which knocked out my jockey wheel which later came loose whilst driving down the motor way. The caravan store said some people remove the jockey wheel before travelling is this something anyone does?

Hi Keiran,

Some people do remove the jockey wheel when the caravan is being towed but unless it is essential to give sufficient clearance over speed humps etc., I would not recommend it.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I have broken a couple of the plastic wheels, one going onto P&O ferry and one on a steep speed hump in France, both going around very low speed. The plastic wheels crack. The one on my current van is OK but the thin tyre on it is wearing. I will replace it with a more substantial one next.

I wind the jockey wheel right up until the forks lock into the slots on the outer tube and then slacken the clamp  and lift the whole unit until the wheel is housed in the A frame. the wheel is then nearly out of sight.

Never had a problem

I have had the jockey wheel smash a couple of times getting on and off ferries and on some of the high French road humps. I now carry a complete jockey wheel replacement and I always remove the jockey wheel before getting onto a ferry and usually before towing in France.

Cheers,

Tanker.

34 minutes ago, 664DaveS said:

I have broken a couple of the plastic wheels,

I haven't used plastic rims for years - ever since this happened:-

P1040255.JPG.40d07ab521712e139d2941530a1f748d.JPG

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I had a trailer jockey wheel unwind until it touched the floor. While travelling 

Luckily we spotted  it while refuelling.

an hour later the same thing happened on the motorway.

bent up in half.

now we tend to pull it right up and still use a bungee strap to stop this happening again.

better safe than sorry.

Some years ago, when I had a Sprite Musketeer, I always removed the Jockey Wheel prior to setting off. I did this to help deter would be thieves and also to help prevent it getting damaged. The JW on the Musketeer was only held in place by a simple clamp.

I now have a Coachman Pastiche and the JW is ‘integral’ to the hitch so is a lot more difficult to remove - so I don’t bother. I do, however, always fit my wheel clamp when I leave the caravan unattended.

9 hours ago, robertB said:

I wind the jockey wheel right up until the forks lock into the slots on the outer tube and then slacken the clamp  and lift the whole unit until the wheel is housed in the A frame. the wheel is then nearly out of sight.

Never had a problem

+1

I have to remove my jockey wheel when leaving my storage site, otherwise it clips the kerb..

I never remove it other than on way out.

• Steven changed the title to Removing Jockey wheel whilst Towing

Whilst I had the jockey wheel drop down to the road once just as I came off a motorway, I can't see how a properly retracted and secured JW can catch on anything 

I suspect that where it does the owners have wound it up but then not loosened the clamp to pull it snuggly up to the A frame. When secured like that there's no way it can hit any road surface. 

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

we have had the Swift and Lunar vans where the jockey wheel fits up into the A frame but on the Bailey vans the JW clips the outside of the A frame  and you have to make sure you really pull it right up so that it bends the plastic in a bit , or as we found out it can grate on some speed bumps.  However  to remove the Swift and Lunar JW we had to take them apart whereas on the Bailey  we just had to undo a little ' door'  and remove it.

3 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Whilst I had the jockey wheel drop down to the road once just as I came off a motorway, I can't see how a properly retracted and secured JW can catch on anything 

I suspect that where it does the owners have wound it up but then not loosened the clamp to pull it snuggly up to the A frame. When secured like that there's no way it can hit any road surface. 

+1

4 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

I tend to agree ….and that’s what I’ve always done. 
However we have had a series of speed bumps installed around our local roads. The majority present no problems but one, where the camber of the road is steep has resulted in a bigger hump at one side of the road, causing even my jockey-wheel, fully retracted, to touch. I have to move to the centre of the road (oncoming traffic allowing) to avoid this.

I also wonder if hitch height might play a part in some cases?

I’ve seen no end of towing caravans this year that are very ‘nose down’ when towing. 

13 hours ago, NobbyTucker said:

I have to remove my jockey wheel when leaving my storage site, otherwise it clips the kerb..

I never remove it other than on way out.

I would be inclined to get the site owner to do something about that as you are paying for storage. 

……or take a lump hammer with you next time.😉

Edited by ericfield

Ours catches on every outing on some very severe speed humps. Providing there is nothing coming the other way I drive over them at an angle which reduces it,

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Ours fits right into the A frame and is not likely to hit anything. I have had one that could work loose when towing and a strap was the best way to keep this up. 

Removing the jockey wheel is not a good idea as in the unlikely case of the caravan coming off the tow bar you need the wheel to keep the hitch off the ground and avoid damage to the A fame. This would work only at very low speed,  taking the jockey wheel off is not a good idea, as most disconnections happen at the first bump just after you set off and no damage occurs. 

Have taken it off once or twice when going on/off ferries but leave it on and tucked up into the A frame the rest of the time but always check that the bolt is fully tight.

Our jockey wheel lifts pretty high into the A frame but I am very careful to really tighten the clamp. Its also worth noting to be firm in tightening the winding handle as well to ensure it doesn't gradually unwind and lower the wheel whilst towing. Some people 'bungy' it to ensure it can't unwind but I've never found the need to do that.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

On a caravan with the jockey wheel going through the A frame, I don't think it would be physically possible to remove it when hitched.

6 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

On a caravan with the jockey wheel going through the A frame, I don't think it would be physically possible to remove it when hitched.

Certainly can't with mine, I had to change the jokey wheel recently and the only way to get it out was to put the back of the caravan almost to the deck.

I'm a big fan (now) of the AL-KO premium, it's got the weight gauge which is handy but the spring in the weighing pivot means that when it's wound up tightly it's never coming loose. Also, it's longer and a lot stronger than the standard set up which means you rarely have to loosen the clamp.

I was plagued with jockey wheel issues, this is the third I've had and is one of the best upgrades I've carried out.

Firstly if the wheel is fully wound up into the slots I don’t feel it can unwind itself. 

We can't remove ours as it's integrated into the A frame, however it only sticks out an inch or so and if anything is going to ground I'd rather it was the jockey wheel than the chassis or handbrake etc. which I feel it protects.

I would add that ours stows in line with the direction of travel and can rotate when stowed, I know some don't and that creates a problem with this idea.

On 31/07/2021 at 11:52, Sonar said:

I had a trailer jockey wheel unwind until it touched the floor. While travelling 

Luckily we spotted  it while refuelling.

an hour later the same thing happened on the motorway.

bent up in half.

now we tend to pull it right up and still use a bungee strap to stop this happening again.

better safe than sorry.

This all happened on a trailer that the jockey wheel was mounted to the outside of the frame.

so there was no way to wind it tight up between the a frame.

most if not all vans now have 5he jockey wheels set inside the a frame.