Upgrade Island bed - is it possible?

Hi 👋,

We purchased an Elddis Crusader Mistral 2015 a while ago, and while the transverse Island bed is great, it's a little snug at the bottom when you're in and out of the loo or side wardrobe. We are looking at perhaps seeing if we can purchase the sliding bed frame that would allow for the shorter mattress with bolster in order to add a few more inches of space to walk around. Has anyone done this successfully? Can't seem to find anything online of anyone attempting this or similar. Any advice would be greatly appreciated 😊

Not quite sure what you mean, but even at 6ft 3" I often sleep with the bolster discarded and without the bed being pulled out. But then I do have the bed to myself.

21 minutes ago, JCCD said:

Not quite sure what you mean, but even at 6ft 3" I often sleep with the bolster discarded and without the bed being pulled out. But then I do have the bed to myself.

At the moment we have a fixed bed with a one piece mattress. The bed frame doesn't slide in like some of the island beds I've seen.  I'm wondering if anyone has changed their base from fixed to sliding to allow us extra space at the end of the bed. 

We're hoping to do the same, I don't actually mind having my feet hanging off the bed, especially when it's hot!! :)

that looks like a big job. Have you gone to a dealer and looked at the underneath of an island bed, there's a lot of metal in it.  Another option would be the caravan conversion companies. The mattress is the easiest , just buy an island bed  with bolster, or 2 part c. £400. 

Does your current mattress overhang the end of the frame? If it doesn’t then you would need to replace not only the mattress and bed frame but also the base (or you won’t gain any room at the foot of the bed)

At the age of your caravan it’s is highly improbable that you will be able to source any of the parts new so you are probably going to need to locate a caravan breakers.  So do your research and see if a later model of your particular caravan had a sliding bed base. Early  Bailey Cabreras had a sort of fixed base like yours [split mattress and an extra shelf and cushion to make the bottom of the mattress a bit longer] they were then changed for a sliding base like in my Phoenix, so it’s not unknown. If it did then you need to find one of them and get all of the bed assembly (frame, base mattress etc) 

I am sure it can be done, but I doubt if it will be a particularly easy job, and unless you are pretty handy at DIY it will also be an expensive one to get someone else to do it.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

I agree, it would probably be easier and cheaper to chop in the van and get one with what you want.

Chap on another forum asked if it would be possible to convert his one year old fixed double bed van to its lounge based two singles counterpart, so that he had a second place to sit. I guess buyer remorse. When you look at the sort of charges made for all the parts that needed buying and the time and inconvenience plus risk of tatty execution it just wasn't worth even considering.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.