updates coming to the new Highway Code

joanie

more changes, the news is saying that the pedestrians  and cyclists get priority on the road,  It reminded me of a couple of weeks ago  when we were at Brean  , a cyclist was riding up the inside of the line of traffic, very dangerous, however we had to get our van into the kerb as the roads are not very wide so he mounts the pavement to pass us. It's a wonder that there are not more accidents.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58021450

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again the government are trying to legislate instead of people taking personal responsibility for their action.

You can get out of your car and get on a bike and divest yourself of the responsibility you had as a driver, you can then get off your bike and walk and divest yourself of the responsibility you had as a cyclist.

You couldn’t make it up!!!!!!!!!

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

I agree about each person taking responsibility for themselves and, importantly, sticking to the rules for their mode of transport (plus appropriate punishment for breaking those rules)

However I also believe that, when driving round in a strong steel box with air bags etc, we have a responsibility as far as possible to protect all other road users on the hierarchy that I think is being set out (i.e. pedestrians, cyclists, motor cyclists etc) 

I look forward to the new version with interest.

It’s about time cars kill and injure more and when they are parked they mostly block the pavements

It’s about time cyclists had insurance and even some sort of identification 

25 minutes ago, DougS said:

I agree about each person taking responsibility for themselves and, importantly, sticking to the rules for their mode of transport (plus appropriate punishment for breaking those rules)

However I also believe that, when driving round in a strong steel box with air bags etc, we have a responsibility as far as possible to protect all other road users on the hierarchy that I think is being set out (i.e. pedestrians, cyclists, motor cyclists etc) 

Entirely agree.

The Highway Code is a "living" document and must reflect current custom and practice.   When I sit in my large steel box, surrounded by "crumple zones and air bags" then I have a responsibility towards all users of our roads and pavements. 

Legislation is for a purpose and as a member of society I do my best to follow it.  To suggest it should never change is facile.  

Having said all that like many others I fume when cyclists ignore road signs and cycle dangerously on pavements. 

Surely legislation to improve safety for all of us in vital, not least pedestrians who don't have the comfort of a "steel cage" when they cross a road.

I thought cyclists already had priority? After all, they don't have to wait at red traffic lights, they can ride the wrong way down one way roads and more recently (kids mainly) can perform wheelies down the middle of the road while the traffic waits behind them. If they want more respect from car drivers then they should make sure they have the same respect for the highway code.

5 minutes ago, dobbo said:

It’s about time cyclists had insurance and even some sort of identification 

It's about time pedestrians had insurance and visible ID.

Where does it stop? Skateboards, rollerblades, push scooters, running...?

41 minutes ago, DougS said:

Unfortunately you will now have even more responsibility to protect other road users from themselves.

Which mean the cyclists and pedestrians that think they are entitled now, will believe they are even more entitled to ignore common sense.

Which also means the if an incident occurs, the car driver will automatically be assumed to be at fault unless they can provide irrefutable evidence to the contrary, which moves us even further away from innocent until proven guilty.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

9 minutes ago, Squash said:

Entirely agree.

The Highway Code is a "living" document and must reflect current custom and practice.   When I sit in my large steel box, surrounded by "crumple zones and air bags" then I have a responsibility towards all users of our roads and pavements. 

Legislation is for a purpose and as a member of society I do my best to follow it.  To suggest it should never change is facile.  

Having said all that like many others I fume when cyclists ignore road signs and cycle dangerously on pavements. 

Surely legislation to improve safety for all of us in vital, not least pedestrians who don't have the comfort of a "steel cage" when they cross a road.

Scooters will be next I guess there get priority over cars as well very soon.

As said above, regarding responsibility and evidence, our dashcam has come in very handy and the system to upload video (granted for a car with visible number plate) has led to appropriate punishment.

Agree on the need for insurance (unlikely to happen?)

The e-scooter situation is laughable as people are already buying them and electric motorbikes for kids (and adults) with no adherence to any rules - very upsetting.

35 minutes ago, Steven said:

Unfortunately you will now have even more responsibility to protect other road users from themselves.

Which mean the cyclists and pedestrians that think they are entitled now, will believe they are even more entitled to ignore common sense.

Which also means the if an incident occurs, the car driver will automatically be assumed to be at fault unless they can provide irrefutable evidence to the contrary, which moves us even further away from innocent until proven guilty.

Unfortunately all too true! Pedestrians seem to wonder around in a daze, cyclists think they own the roads (& the pavements!), & the rules of the road are apparently not applicable to either of them. They are frequently held accountable to no-one & so therefore act as such. This is one situation that has progressively worsened under the EU.
For many years the motorist has been held responsible merely because he is the ONLY one insured. Guess who gets to pay for the ambulance (via their insurance)?  No don't guess: it's the motorist, innocent or not! Justice doesn't even enter into it!
Before the keyboard warriors start, I am in all three categories, but I was brought up to use that seemingly  rarest of things: common sense allied to responsible actions. Present generations are too reliant on being spoon-fed & therefore are lacking in both.

It will only get far worse with the advent of the, largely unpoliced, scooter plague.

I wonder how much of this is also due to the increase of EV's on the road, which make far less noise and so present a greater danger?

Fair enough in some aspects, we know the authorities are waging war on the motorist as the climate issues become more concerning and the environmental lobbyists hold more sway.

But I wonder long term how this will affect us, we are a consumer society yet we don't have enough HGV's or drivers to keep the nations shops stocked up, and these measures will add to delays and shortfalls in the food supply.

Also if the motorists are forced off the road and onto ' more environmentally friendly' modes of transport how will the government make up the shortfall in tax, presumably on wages and pensions.

reading of some of the changes, I don't think anything will change overnight, or in a month of Sundays for that matter. One rule is that you must stop at a crossing if people are there  and not wait until they step out onto the road as is the 'rule' now. As a pedestrian,  drivers do stop already if I am at a crossing , I have never had to step out onto the crossing to make them stop for me.  Who makes these rules?

The Highway Code is exactly that, a code. It is NOT the law! So contravention of “The Code” does not mean any offence has been committed. However dot com.....

Failure to observe, and abide by “The Code” could (under some circumstances) be used to justify a prosecution  under Sec 3 RTA, specifically   “Driving without due care and attention or reasonable consideration for other road users”  There would need to be some additional evidence rather than just no compliance with the Highway Code though. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Oh , Mr. Plodd,   I think that the majority of folk know that the highway code is a code , however , as you say , quite a bit of it is backed up by the law, I always remember the should not , must not rule.  I don't think the man in the street would argue what is law and what is guidance as very often  the guidance comes  under some other rule . 

I've put this link for other's to read, but according to   # 1  we can park on zigzag lines providing there is no sign, but of course we wouldn't park on a zigzag  it's common sense not to. 

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/16-highway-code-rules-most-people-ignore/

Well I got 3 points 33 years ago for parking on zigzags no sign

Edited by dobbo

Regardless of the mode of transport used we ALL need to take responsibility.

19 hours ago, Tunnelvision said:

I thought cyclists already had priority? After all, they don't have to wait at red traffic lights, they can ride the wrong way down one way roads and more recently (kids mainly) can perform wheelies down the middle of the road while the traffic waits behind them. If they want more respect from car drivers then they should make sure they have the same respect for the highway code.

People on bikes who disregard the rules of the road are not true cyclists - misuse of the road when on a  a bicycle is just as bad as the boy racer speeding through the streets, or the white van man parking on the pavement.

19 hours ago, Steven said:

Hence the rapid increase in the fitting of cameras to so many vehicles.

I drive a car but I also ride a cycle. I stick to the rules whatever mode of transport I am using but on many occasions when slowing for traffic lights, I have been overtaken by an 'amber gambler' whose journey is so much more important than anybody else. The other major hazard is the pedestrian who will be looking down and chatting on their mobile, totally oblivious to the traffic as they wander aimlessly across the road.

So it is worth repeating that we all need to take responsibility for our actions, that way additional legislation would be unnecessary.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

6 minutes ago, dobbo said:

Well I got 3 points 33 years ago for parking on zigzags no sign

Was that on yellow zig zags outside a school, or white zig zags at a Pelican/Zebra crossing. 

Crossing zig zag parking also attracts three penalty points!! Not a lot of people know that :unsure:

18 hours ago, joanie said:

One rule is that you must stop at a crossing if people are there  and not wait until they step out onto the road as is the 'rule' now.

I'm haven't looked in detail but my understanding is that this isn't about formal zebra crossings, where according to the highway code you are supposed to stop for anyone who may be intending to cross, but about any crossing. Such as when a pedestrian is walking along a main road and crossing a side road, if you want to turn into the side road you first have to give way to any pedestrians waiting to cross.

I've walked around and driven in countries with similar rules (Italy and Canada are two which come to mind) and it's works just fine there. Given the number of times I've seen a driver sound their horn at pedestrians who dared to get in there way it's probably a good change of attitude.

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Was that on yellow zig zags outside a school, or white zig zags at a Pelican/Zebra crossing. 

Crossing zig zag parking also attracts three penalty points!! Not a lot of people know that :unsure:

Judging by the parking at school times locally, very few are being 'awarded penalty points' locally, or they would stop parking illegally. We see the same vehicles flouting the rules and blocking access most school days here.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

1 hour ago, ChertseyMike said:

I'm haven't looked in detail but my understanding is that this isn't about formal zebra crossings, where according to the highway code you are supposed to stop for anyone who may be intending to cross,

The law in respect of Zebra pedestrian crossings is that it is “An offence to fail to accord precedence to a pedestrian already using the crossing” 

Unless a pedestrian has at least a foot on the crossing they cannot be deemed to be “using” it. However if they plonk a foot on it when you are a metre from the stop line (yes there is one, have a close look next time!) you are still required to accord precedence, so it makes sense to be ready for anyone near a crossing to step onto it, even if they are paying more attention to their phone than the traffic. 

1 hour ago, ChertseyMike said:

you are supposed to stop for anyone who may be intending to cross, but about any crossing. Such as when a pedestrian is walking along a main road and crossing a side road, if you want to turn into the side road you first have to give way to any pedestrians waiting to cross.

That nothing new, it has been in the Highway Code for as many years as I can remember

2 hours ago, joanie said:

....we can park on zigzag lines providing there is no sign, but of course we wouldn't park on a zigzag  it's common sense not to. 

6 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Judging by the parking at school times locally, very few are being 'awarded penalty points' locally, or they would stop parking illegally. We see the same vehicles flouting the rules and blocking access most school days here.

This why accuracy of description where road signs and markings compliance is crucial and the link clearly states which of the two types of zigzag road markings they are referring to - the yellow ones outside schools. NOT the white ones at pedestrian crossings.

The yellow ones (with a sign) are not endorsable with penalty points, the white ones are (the pedestrian crossing is the sign).

Edited by Legal Eagle

43 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

However if they plonk a foot on it when you are a metre from the stop line (yes there is one, have a close look next time!) you are still required to accord precedence, so it makes sense to be ready for anyone near a crossing to step onto it, even if they are paying more attention to their phone than the traffic. 

Absolutely correct. We have two schools adjacent near our house and there are yellow zig-zag lines and a keep Clear notice on a corner, and immediately by the school pedestrian entrance, a zebra crossing, on top of a speed hump, with stop lines either side.

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, Legal Eagle said:

The yellow ones (with a sign) are not endorsable with penalty points, the white ones are . . .

image.png

It will simply make the lycra louts think they are even more invincible.