Some advice re damp in my Bailey Pursuit?

Hi all,

Apologies for my first post being a cry for help, but I'm hoping that some of you might share your thoughts on how I might proceed in my situation. Thanks in advance for any help you can give, it's much appreciated!

Background:

I have a 2016 Bailey Pursuit 540/5 which I've had from new. Due to some stupidity/forgetfulness/hard times on my part, I managed to miss a service a couple of years back, so it's out of warranty. I've kicked myself a lot about that, trust me. The van has seemed 100% fine until this recent service - the dealers have found damp in the floor at the rear, my nightmare.

They say that some is caused by a leaky toilet cassette hatch - there have been very small mould blooms on the vinyl near the loo but I thought that was caused by a damp mat I missed when the basin tap was leaking slightly on a long trip. Another mistake!! I'm struggling to see where that leak is happening, but I've replaced the seal and resealed the join to the caravan wall.

The rest they think is caused by the dreaded Bailey roof strap. When I first read about this (I lurk on forums, sorry!) I checked for any signs of ingress and found none. I slathered the strap ends with tons of sealant just as a precaution. I haven't seen any signs of damp, either inside or on the underside of the van. I check it regularly, and use a moisture meter, so I was surprised by the strap news. However, when I went and checked under the vinyl under the bottom bunk yesterday, it's black. I'm gutted.

My quote from the dealers is to - replace the roof strap, take out the furnishings at the back end (whole bathroom and bottom bunk), lift the vinyl, dry out and replace the floor, rebuild.

My questions to you all are:

- The floor is black, but seems solid enough. Do you think the floor really needs replaced?

- Would the floor dry out naturally if the ingress is stopped? Or does the vinyl need to be lifted?

- How can I effectively check between the floor and the vinyl for damp in future? There has been no smell and no elevated moisture readings (guess the dealers have a better way of checking)

- Would you spend the £3K+ getting the dealers to completely redo the backend (as it's out of warranty) or ask them to sort the roof strap only and try to dry out the van yourself?

- Or even, would you try and fix the roof strap yourselves?

Thanks again for any thoughts/guidance you may have.

Lift the vinyl clean the area with bleach and water .

place in a dehumidifier allow to dry retest for damp later.

if the floor has areas that look puffy as if the timber has swollen then sadly it may have to be replaced.

or  for hassle free times get the dealer to do the job and get a full works warranty on it.

Edited by Sonar

Hi. Had a similar pursuit with a leak/damp in the same place.

My dealer found it was the pipe from the flush filler down wards.

I had been filling the flush right to the brim. 
The pipe has a push fit join part way down, and the fluid was leaking past the joint. Got it sorted and only put a couple of litres of fluid in after that!

Hope that helps.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

1 hour ago, Sonar said:

for hassle free times get the dealer to do the job and get a full works warranty on it

How long would that repair warranty last bearing in mind that because the OP missed a service and the age of the van most if not all of the caravan is out of the manufacturers warranty.

With that in mind I'd be inclined to follow your advice from the top of your response with a need to first work out where the damp originated possibly identified in PR1 response.

Difficult decisions and many alternatives too on what to do.

If costing all that money I would be thinking what might be to do next year.  I had a car once and spent money, then something else went wrong and again fixed then something else,.  After that the first fault started to reappear so took a deep breath and traded it in.

So since then I've been reluctant to spend big amounts of money on car or caravan repairs.

Have you considered changing the caravan?

1 hour ago, charlieboy2608 said:

How long would that repair warranty last bearing in mind that because the OP missed a service and the age of the van most if not all of the caravan is out of the manufacturers warranty.

With that in mind I'd be inclined to follow your advice from the top of your response with a need to first work out where the damp originated possibly identified in PR1 response.

As a new set remedial works paid for not under any warranty will get a warranty for the work they have taken on under private  request.

I other words I they do work not under warranty the works they carry out will have some sort of guarantee . After completion.

if not there not the dealers to go to. 

4 hours ago, womblecamper said:

They say that some is caused by a leaky toilet cassette hatch

Similar issue on my 2015 Pegasus GT65, I'm guessing that they use the same toilet hatch that hinges at the bottom?
On my 'van fitting a new seal did nothing, after heavy rain I would find that the bathroom floor had water around the loo, my aim isn't that bad so I knew it wasn't me.
I believe that the hatch is not fit for purpose, as it hinges at the bottom the top does not make a good seal due to using a ***** plastic locking mechanism.
Water seeps through the (too thin) rubber seal, fills up the locker until it finds the path of least resistance at the base of the loo and in to the van :angry:
There is also no rain channel above the opening like there is on later vans that I have seen. I tested the hatch by dusting some talc around the seal etc and could see where it was coming in.
My fix was to buy a length of Fiamma Drip Stop , this is self adhesive a short strip above the top of the hatch with a couple of cm overhang each side has totally fixed the issue, even is torrential rain.

Hi all! Thanks so much for all your advice. Changing the caravan may be an option at some point in the next two years, but I think I'd rather get this sorted and move on from there. I'll look into your suggestions for the toilet area leaks, and see how we get on investigating the extent of the damp at the weekend - but I'm thinking I'll take it to the dealer for the roof strap fix and perhaps for all of it depending on what we find.

Thanks again!

On 30/07/2021 at 13:37, Sonar said:

As a new set remedial works paid for not under any warranty will get a warranty for the work they have taken on under private  request.

I other words I they do work not under warranty the works they carry out will have some sort of guarantee . After completion.

if not there not the dealers to go to. 

I understand that a company would offer a guarantee but my question was "What duration would that guarantee be?"

As the OP had missed a service the manufacturers water ingress guarantee would be null and void hence the question.

8 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

I understand that a company would offer a guarantee but my question was "What duration would that guarantee be?"

As the OP had missed a service the manufacturers water ingress guarantee would be null and void hence the question.

12 months i would expect, no more than that. 

Danny

1 hour ago, Dannyp said:

12 months i would expect, no more than that. 

Danny

Yes I agree ;-)

1 hour ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Yes I agree ;-)

Yes but I think they will qualify it with only the work they have carried out.

6 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Yes but I think they will qualify it with only the work they have carried out.

Of course...obviously we are assuming that the OP wishes to invest more money using a so called professional :-(

Much information can be learnt on here which might make it DIY

Edited by charlieboy2608