Good Morning Britain caravan article

My work day routine is a shower then watch BBC Breakfast with OH for 10 or so minutes with a cup of tea before leaving for work.

This week it's the Olympics, so OH turned over to GMB, we've never watched it before, and it's hard work on the eyes. Bright garish colours, all flashing images and strange graphics for the weather, we ended up watching the BBC news service with the sign language lady.

Never again.

On GMB this morning they are debating should caravans have a curfew at peak times to ease traffic jams.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

35 minutes ago, Doosan said:

On GMB this morning they are debating should caravans have a curfew at peak times to ease traffic jams.

You would probably find that completing roadworks promptly, and not leaving traffic cones out with temporary traffic lights, when no work is being carried out would have a much greater impact.

Last night it took me just over an hour to travel the last 1.4 miles home along the only route available because of gridlock in town caused by (you've guessed it) unattended temporary traffic lights and cones. 

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

It’s on now with some broadcaster called Mike Parry wanting caravans banned with 80’s pop star Sonia championing them. It’s all a bit tongue in cheek but Mike Parry really does come across as a complete fool!

It’s interesting that they reported a 71% increase in caravan and motor home sales this year.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Clearly a no news day on GMB.

I urge you to watch their article on caravanning this morning if you want a laugh.

Yes, saw it, started a thread on it at the same time as you.  While I thought it was a tongue-in-cheek article it made me cringe, who on earth was the guy (Mike Parry?).  He came across as a complete idiot!

Edited by GaryB1969

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Panic not it ain’t gonna happen. Must be false news sponsored by google news.

and if it did I am sure the gov would do a. U. Turn in less than an hour..

• Steven unlocked this topic

Just watched it on ITV+1.  What a plonker! I'd hate to encounter him on the road, shouldn't have a licence, let alone a '£70k Jag'.  Completely talked over Sonia, who gave a decent account of herself.

BTW, the piece was filmed at the C&CC Delamere site, and you could hear the road noise! 

what a load of tripe.   no news day. He should visit the camp sites and see the money parked up there , his £70k car would look very insignificant  . 

Silly man deserves to be stuck interminably behind a caravan, thats behind a tractor, that's behind a bicycle, on an uphill road, with endless blind bends and summits, frothing and fuming in his £70k Jag. 

Stupid remarks. I do not like following farm tractors and some other very slow vehicles but all road users have their rights and we just have to live with it. As a proportion of traffic on the roads we are very small and taking us out would make very little difference if any. The main holdups are the rush hour in urban areas and you very rarely find us there anyway. 

We do not cause hold ups on motorways and dual carriageways, although I accept we might be a bit slower on single carriageway roads but no more than the lorries which are far more numerous. 

Seems to be more an ill thought out stupid remark than anything worth serious consideration.

If ever he was a journalist of some repute, that era has passed and he has now degenerated to no more than a poor wind-up merchant.

He exhibits his poor background research as well, as with us blocking the roads at 70 mph is most improbable if ever going to be an issue, and come £70K Jag or not leaves him no legal place to go any quicker.

Somewhat one we describe as just a "mouth on legs" and his participation reflects poorly on ITV, was there nothing better to discuss today?

2 hours ago, JTQ said:

If ever he was a journalist of some repute, that era has passed and he has now degenerated to no more than a poor wind-up merchant.

He exhibits his poor background research as well, as with us blocking the roads at 70 mph is most improbable if ever going to be an issue, and come £70K Jag or not leaves him no legal place to go any quicker.

Somewhat one we describe as just a "mouth on legs" and his participation reflects poorly on ITV, was there nothing better to discuss today?

I don't think he ever was.  He's always been a columnist who writes to shock rather than inform, it's a bit of a stretch to call him a journalist.

Latest news a new caravan is going to come on the market. Very soon 

Starting cost of 70 k 

think it’s called the Mike parry  personal four. Single axle . The rear will look like a Jag.

44 minutes ago, Sonar said:

Latest news a new caravan is going to come on the market. Very soon 

Starting cost of 70 k 

think it’s called the Mike parry  personal four. Single axle . The rear will look like a Jag.

Single berth. Cant have many friends.

2 minutes ago, Towtug said:

Single berth. Cant have many friends.

The exterior is black the sides and front are shaped like a tin… 

so as he can move between 10pm and 6. Am

The front is shaped like a ... I'll leave others to fill in the blank.

20 hours ago, Susan D said:

Silly man deserves to be stuck interminably behind a caravan, that's behind a tractor, that's behind a bicycle, on an uphill road, with endless blind bends and summits, frothing and fuming in his £70k Jag. 

Do I take it you're not too impressed with him then Susan? ;)

As road users, regardless of the vehicle we are using, we all have a responsibility not to impact on others. Unfortunately a minority of caravan owners really do not give a good impression, with the consequence that we all get tarred with the same brush. In my experience the vast majority of caravan and motorhome owners take responsibility for staying within the rules of the road and are courteous and respectful to other road users BUT it only takes a few bad eggs for the press to latch on to and continue their anti-caravan vitriol.

Personally I never watch morning TV now for the very reason that I consider the majority of what is broadcast to be inane dross and padding.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

11 minutes ago, Gordon said:

As road users, regardless of the vehicle we are using, we all have a responsibility not to impact on others. Unfortunately a minority of caravan owners really do not give a good impression, with the consequence that we all get tarred with the same brush. In my experience the vast majority of caravan and motorhome owners take responsibility for staying within the rules of the road and are courteous and respectful to other road users 

Thing is in places such as the West Country where you have queues of caravans, people don't seem to think that the reason is that the cars have overtaken and gone on their journey whereas the caravans have to stay put because some roads are still single carriage ways and no way can a caravan overtake anything  on those roads.

That still doesn't absolve road users from being courteous, and when a convoy of caravans, trucks, or whatever occurs, as it inevitably will at times, then if you cannot or choose not to overtake, the sensible thing to do is to drop back a little from the vehicle in front to make overtaking easier for other road users.

Hi,

this came up on my news channel , make of it what you will--https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/chester-dj-mike-parry-called-21183507

Do note at the end a voice tells him he's fired.......

Dave

23 minutes ago, Gordon said:

then if you cannot or choose not to overtake, the sensible thing to do is to drop back a little from the vehicle in front to make overtaking easier for other road users.

Which, of course, many of us do.