Caravan Insurance when stopped for cup of tea

Message added by CT Advertising,

Compare caravan insurance quotes and buy online for touring & static caravans

compareinsurance.pngCompare Caravan Insurance provides quality touring insurance, static insurance, park home insurance and leisure home insurance at competitive prices

www.compare-caravan-insurance.co.uk

1 hour ago, MoonLoon said:

Have now got confirmation from Policyfast, The Caravan is NOT covered when stopping en-route even for only a few minutes at a service station or public park or lay-by, with the car and caravan attached, if the occupants leave the car and caravan unattended even for a few minutes. Fitting wheel clamps or hitch locks do not matter.

What an outrageous condition, at least by highlighting it you could prevent someone elsevparting with their money to such an unreasonable company.

Policyfast are now added to my list of “Not with someone else’s bargepole” companies.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

There have been cases of new caravans stolen off MSA in a matter of minutes. 

If you were the insurance company paying out in these cases, you would have that exclusion included in the policies.

Once bitten, twice shy. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

18 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

What an outrageous condition, at least by highlighting it you could prevent someone elsevparting with their money to such an unreasonable company.

I don’t think it’s outrageous at all.  The speed and efficiency the thieves work with, your van will be on the motorway before you even get into the gents. 

51 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

I don’t think it’s outrageous at all.  The speed and efficiency the thieves work with, your van will be on the motorway before you even get into the gents. 

So ask yourself why the other major players in the field of Caravan insurance don’t have such draconian clauses in their policies. They will be well aware of the risks involved! 

51 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

The speed and efficiency the thieves work with, your van will be on the motorway before you even get into the gents. 

Which is why I always fit my hitchlock when towing! I accept that they can be defeated, but it takes time and effort, so any thief is going to go to the next one in the line that doesn’t have a hitchlock fitted. I know others disagree with my policy, and they are perfectly at liberty to do as they wish in exactly the same way as I am at liberty to fit mine, Even though it’s not a condition of my caravan insurance. 

This matter has has been discussed, at considerable length, in the past so let’s not resurrect it again eh? Everyone has a view, and that view is unlikely to get altered one way or the other. 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

To keep it simple (for Policyfirst).. if the caravan is left unattended in a "public" area, doesn't matter attached or detached, wheel clamp or hitch lock, it is NOT covered. If it is unattended and detached on a campsite for more than 2 hours it needs a wheel clamp and will be covered. It is covered  while towing.

and Disco Kid ....Campervans are probably similar to car insurance so maybe don't have this problem.

On 31/07/2021 at 19:05, BrianE said:

Insurance companies will always begin by looking for a loophole so not to pay out on a claim, undeclared points on a licence, alterations to car or caravan/motorhome etc etc before moving on to the 'very small print'

There is an age limit to any vehicle before it becomes an 'uneconomical repair' even with Fully Comprehensive, try and find that on your policy.

This is not true of the reputable companies. I have worked on claims all my working life and there is a world of difference between the best and worst.  There is no small print or very small print in any policy.

Not sure what you mean about the age limit. The companies work out the cost of repair and the value of the vehicle and it is simple maths as to whether it is a write off, although if the repair cost is just under the value of the repair they may write it off to avoid any further damage pushing the cost up. Cost is normally the only criteria.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.