Swift Command renewal email

pepys1660

I got an email today which purports to come from Sargent Support Team which says the data service on my 3 year old caravan has expired.

It offered me a link to click on in order to renew, change or cancel my account.

When I hovered to cursor over that link it looks about as dodgy as any link could be - there is zero chance of me using it.

So I went to the Swift Command website to find some other way to look into renewing (I want the data service but not the tracking).  I can't find anything.

My question is:  Why is a company which works in the security field offering such a dodgy-looking link as the route to renew a contract?

P.S.  In searching around, I came across this under "Help & Info" on the Swift Command Website.

"The Swift Command system uses the 2G mobile network and as such is dependent on this network being available in the vehicles location for the system to operate."

2G??  The networks are in the process of shutting down their 2G service.

Login here; https://www.swiftcommand.co.uk/login

The website was updated earlier this year - why is the link dodgy, can you share it?

2G is around for some time yet, 10 years or so I believe.

Cheers, Martin

Thanks for that.

The emailed link started off with 

https://creatorapp.zohopublic.com/dave   (I haven't included any more since it must contain personal identifiers)

If Swift - or Sargent - send me a link I expect it to point to either a Swift or Sargent domain.  If it points to something quite different it looks like a phishing expedition.

On 2G shutdown I found this:

"Vodafone and EE have announced they will be shutting their 2G networks in 2025."

That leaves 3 and O2 and they will probably have the same commercial interests which caused Vodafone & EE to announce closure.

Since many campsites & storage facilities are in areas with poor coverage, the loss of 50% of the current networks will have a significant impact.

Ah! Zoho is a CRM (customer relationship management) tool and it would appear this ‘renewal email’ would be part of its functionality based on subscriptions - but I do get what you mean. I suppose it could be related to most cloud based apps these days including the likes of Quick Books, Xero (accounting software) etc sending out company invoices/purchase orders within the cloud domains and not a companies domain. 

Always wise to be cautious mind you ;-) 

Regarding 2G I will ask the question of Swift if the existing Comms modules will continue to work after 2G is ceased, I would hope the answer is just a new SIM card or even its already 3G/4G ready (hardware dependant). I wonder if 2G will be shutdown as Voda/EE report or will it drag on beyond 2030 as many report. ?

Cheers, Martin

Be careful if you do extend the warranty my comms unit has just packed in for the 3rd time lasting only just over two years.

Unfortunately I "saved" money by taking the 3 year option for £75, after 3 month the unit failed so its now money down the drain.

Sargent can only offer a new unit for £250!!! or if I take out the tracker for £95 they will replace the faulty unit FOC, ive decided not to bother....

14 hours ago, Martin said:

Ah! Zoho is a CRM (customer relationship management) tool and it would appear this ‘renewal email’ would be part of its functionality based on subscriptions - but I do get what you mean. I suppose it could be related to most cloud based apps these days including the likes of Quick Books, Xero (accounting software) etc sending out company invoices/purchase orders within the cloud domains and not a companies domain. 

Always wise to be cautious mind you ;-) 

Regarding 2G I will ask the question of Swift if the existing Comms modules will continue to work after 2G is ceased, I would hope the answer is just a new SIM card or even its already 3G/4G ready (hardware dependant). I wonder if 2G will be shutdown as Voda/EE report or will it drag on beyond 2030 as many report. ?

Further on the G2 shutdown topic, I came across this article:

https://www.real-wireless.com/the-potential-impact-of-switching-off-2g-in-the-uk/

That states that there are (currently) only three G2 networks in operation, so if two are closed in 2025, the impact is all the greater. 

The article also notes that G3 will be shut down before G2, so there is no help to be had there.

7 hours ago, pepys1660 said:

Further on the G2 shutdown topic, I came across this article:

https://www.real-wireless.com/the-potential-impact-of-switching-off-2g-in-the-uk/

That states that there are (currently) only three G2 networks in operation, so if two are closed in 2025, the impact is all the greater. 

The article also notes that G3 will be shut down before G2, so there is no help to be had there.

Indeed, there are lots of contradicting reports out there we have to wait and see but with so many smart meters on the network you have to think it will not just be switched off, rather it be limited.
Swift have said they are closely monitoring the situation, however it should be noted this is only a small individual module and does not impact the caravan electronic control unit so unless a user wishes to subscribe to the remote functionality or the tracker (from 2017 on) then a replacement module would be a very straightforward job and no reason it’s an expensive one either.  

Cheers, Martin