CMC Reserving best pitches for Motorhomes

1 hour ago, Readingblue said:

Well, not only are pitches being reserved but in the mornings, the recently arrived  Motorhomers tend to switch to better pitches.

I've watched them do it at Castleton CC site, as couples walk around the site and see a unit vacate a nice pitch, usually the wife stands on the now empty pitch to 'claim it' whilst he walks briskly away, returning moments later with their motorhome.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Ern said:

CL's and Red Pennant are the only reason we pay that fee.

What …..and not the magazine? 🤣

Posted (edited)

I think this is an issue that has crept up on us due to scale.

Historically Motorhomes were in the minority and reserving the odd pitch was not an issue; it has been going on for years and is probably an embedded cultural/process matter within the warden community. Now with motorhomes becoming  very popular reaching high percentages of site clients, 50% + I observed recently, the practice has manifested itself substantially,  creating  a   bias to favour motorhomes to the detriment of caravans.

Edited by Fenester
capitalisation

12 hours ago, JCCD said:

I've watched them do it at Castleton CC site, as couples walk around the site and see a unit vacate a nice pitch, usually the wife stands on the now empty pitch to 'claim it' whilst he walks briskly away, returning moments later with their motorhome.

That’s always been the case for caravans as well.
Wardens always said “take a look round and choose a pitch then come back to the office and tell us the number”.

If you have selected a pitch, there’s no point in leaving it for someone else to sneak into it while you are informing the office.

That said, we always tow round the site and I pitch the caravan in the selected location, while the wife goes back to the office.

I don’t really see the difference….you are still taking steps to immediately secure the pitch.

I suspect people are really just feeling the pressure and irritation of increased site occupancy. 

Edited by ericfield

32 minutes ago, ericfield said:

Wardens always said “take a look round and choose a pitch then come back to the office and tell us the number”.

If you have selected a pitch, there’s no point in leaving it for someone else to sneak into it while you are informing the office.

That said, we always tow round the site and I pitch the caravan in the selected location, while the wife goes back to the office.

I don’t really see the difference….you are still taking steps to immediately secure the pitch.

I suspect people are really just feeling the pressure and irritation of increased site occupancy. 

You may have misunderstood. Im referring to motorhomes already pitched up on the site, but getting up early in the morning to search for a better pitch, claiming it by getting the wife to stand on it, then moving the motorhome onto it. On one stay I the same motorhome move pitch at least twice, with other motorhomes also shuffling from  one pitch to another on a daily basis.

I imagine there's a silent rivalry between the motorhomes as to who can get onto the newly vacated pitch first.

• Gordon changed the title to CMC Reserving best pitches for Motorhomes
21 hours ago, joanie said:

On the other hand are you wanting the club to stop letting the large RV's on site. 

They already do, which is why I cancelled my membership with them after 30+ years with the 'club'.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

6 minutes ago, Gordon said:

They already do, which is why I cancelled my membership with them after 30+ years with the 'club'.

Must have been a really big one then? I saw a coach sized really high motorhome at Godrevy last week. It was its height rather than its length that looked big.

19 minutes ago, Gordon said:

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-holidays/useful-information/price-guide/

I have just looked at the guide to prices and there was not a specific charge for RV's but there is a charge for super pitches which I suppose anyone could hire, although , of course the RV would have no other choice but to have a super pitch as the RV would take up 2 normal size pitches and I suppose could be charged as such so  having to pay another £4.90 isn't too bad.   

Going a bit off track, I have noticed some folk using wind breaks on the outside of their awnings, so there is car, caravan, awning, windbreak, ( very large windbreak that wraps around the front of the awning and covers the 6 or 8 feet of grass dividing the hardstands ) In fact one was right up against the next pitch so that the person had to park his car in front of the van, I wouldn't have been so understanding, but the wardens allowed it.  Now they should have been shown a super pitch  ( if the site had one ) and charged accordingly . 

2 hours ago, joanie said:

but there is a charge for super pitches which I suppose anyone could hire,

I've always believed that super pitches were super not because of size, but simply that they had their own drainage and water supply.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

4 hours ago, ericfield said:

That's exactly what happened to us last week at the Bearsted site. Drove round found the pitch we wanted OH went back to get our gate pass, job done. Both sides of us were motorhomes and nice people they were too. One large pitch was reserved for a very large RV which was right next to the kids playground and entrance to the dog run of which we wouldn't have wanted it so they welcome to it.

Was there for 5 days and didnt see any MoHo's moving about to alternative pitches.

1 hour ago, Jaydug said:

I've always believed that super pitches were super not because of size, but simply that they had their own drainage and water supply.

they are the serviced pitches £3.90 extra, see my link

1 hour ago, joanie said:

they are the serviced pitches £3.90 extra, see my link

Ah! Yes, I see what you mean.     But apparently there's only the one site in the Club network to have 'super' pitches

1 hour ago, Jaydug said:

Ah! Yes, I see what you mean.     But apparently there's only the one site in the Club network to have 'super' pitches

:D:lol:

15 hours ago, Fenester said:

Must have been a really big one then? 

It was 1½ metres longer than our previous caravan and taller

image.png

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

• 1 month later...

The simple answer is not preference but necessity. Many sites have a limited number of the longest pitches and so if they have a booking for a vehicle that exceeds the length of some pitches they have to reserve a pitch for the longer one. There is no way they could have people having booked for a longer vehicle turn up and be told the longer pitches are all taken, so go away or have them stuck four feet into the road.  If you take a booking for a longer vehicle you have to provide a suitable pitch, it is common sense.

We stayed on the CMC site at Brighton and were told to choose any vacant pitch, but not the ones with a particular colour peg (forget the colour now). All the decent vacant pitches had the special pegs. We squeezed onto one of the few available (to us) pitches and later that day a Bongo camper van with one occupant arrived and parked on the nice pitch next door. The lady thought it was funny that she had so much space, and we had so little.

We don't use club sites these days unless we have no choice, because there is definitely preference being given to camper vans.

1 hour ago, Ern said:

We stayed on the CMC site at Brighton and were told to choose any vacant pitch, but not the ones with a particular colour peg (forget the colour now). All the decent vacant pitches had the special pegs. We squeezed onto one of the few available (to us) pitches and later that day a Bongo camper van with one occupant arrived and parked on the nice pitch next door. The lady thought it was funny that she had so much space, and we had so little.

We don't use club sites these days unless we have no choice, because there is definitely preference being given to camper vans.

Surely it depends what pitch type you booked? Standard Awning pitch, White Peg. Non Awning pitch Blue Peg. Serviced pitch, Red Peg. I can't see how the wardens would have directed you to a pitch you hadn't booked? It would seem that the Bongo booked an awning pitch?

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I was on a club site recently and there was a very large 5th wheel unit on site. The warden said that they struggled to get onto the pitch due to the size of their unit, and had they contacted the wardens prior to arrival they would have reserved a more suitable pitch for them.

19 hours ago, Ern said:

The colour of the peg indicates the type of pitch which you can choose  when booking. By the sound of it you booked the wrong type or the ones you wanted had gone when you booked. There is nothing special about the pegs, they just show the type of pitch. Nothing in your post seems to suggest any problem with the system though, but knowing what type the best pitches are could be a problem on some sites if you have not been before.

On 28/07/2021 at 20:17, GaryB1969 said:

Inevitably if we walk round the site in the evening we have the usual "should have pitched here/there" conversation!!!!!

I think we have had this conversation at every site we have stopped on !!!!

Sounds like my wife. We pitched at Chapel Lane using her choice. After we had pitched she realised that a service point including toilet emptying was next to us and was not best pleased to have people emptying them next to her. Suited me, as less distance to walk, but she now looks out for these to avoid them.

23 hours ago, Arrand said:

I think we have had this conversation at every site we have stopped on !!!!

:Plus1:

Usually try to get a pitch with door facing south or west, no overhanging trees in case it rains, avoid anyone already pitched with a tethered dog, ones with kids bikes or swingball, not next to service point or toilet block - Ahh bliss we've found one, then neighbours leave next day and its all for nothing when sliding door panel van conversion arrives and pitches next to us :(

Edited by Lagerorwine

37 minutes ago, Lagerorwine said:

not next to service point

20210829_144022.png.64e8c9b18af8f235754cd8ca45a3a0de.png

If you are still caravanning when you reach a certain age, being next to a service point may become your number one priority.   See the pitch where I'm staying at the moment.:D

Edited by Jaydug

38 minutes ago, Lagerorwine said:

:Plus1:

Usually try to get a pitch with door facing south or west, no overhanging trees in case it rains, avoid anyone already pitched with a tethered dog, ones with kids bikes or swingball, not next to service point or toilet block - Ahh bliss we've found one, then neighbours leave next day and its all for nothing when sliding door panel van conversion arrives and pitches next to us :(

Whoooooosh-Bang