Jump to content

CMC Reserving best pitches for Motorhomes


Recommended Posts

We are finding that on arrival many pitches are pre allocated for Motorhome use. This means that on occasions caravans are directed to smaller pitches some of which are undesirable. Being that everyone pays the same is this growing practice by club wardens justified?

 

We have also noticed that often large Motorhomes, often with trailers and extra vehicles, impact the enjoyment of adjacent pitches significantly and the trend this year seems to be a greater number of Motorhomes  and also a significant increase in larger outfits.

 

Is the CMHC becoming the MHCC?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No different I suppose from the wives / partners sent in to scalp the best pitches when there is a large queue of people waiting to check in.

 

I do take your point though. Earlier in the year, a huge motorhome arrived with a large trailer carrying a car. The trailer ended up partially on the adjacent pitch having been put on the strip of grass that separates them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Fenester said:

Is the CMHC becoming the MHCC?

 

Looking through the Club's magazine there is certainly a noticeable swing towards Motorhomes which I suppose only reflects market trends.  To be honest I haven't noticed many pitches being coned off, we have a twin axle caravan and (so far) haven't had an issue with pitch sizes but anything's possible......

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have seen certain pitches reserved for the large RV's and also when we have had a lot of rain they do reserve the hard standings for the M/H so that they don't churn up the grass.   So are you wanting those folk to pay more for the pitch,  be careful what you wish for because the price wont come down and they may do that and later round it up so that we are all paying the same again.  On the other hand are you wanting the club to stop letting the large RV's on site. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Club rule is supposed to be that you can pick any available pitch of the type you have booked.

I suppose Wardens get round that by putting bollards on and saying that pitch is not available.

Its not just a new thing.

Over 10 years ago we were on a grass pitch in Wales and after torrential rain we had to don wellies to even get out of the van.

The next day the Warden was out with a bollard whenever a unit moved off a hard standing.

I asked if we could move out of the 6 inches or so of standing water onto a hard standing and the Warden said no they were reserved for motorhomes.

All wrong in my view.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe the question asked before booking should be Can I pick a pitch from those that have not paid fully and booked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We stayed at the Brighton site and were told to "chose any pitch we desired, but not the ones with a Blue peg" We found the two worst smallest with a poor outlook pitches on the site were available to us out of a dozen or so empty.

We got pitched but the pitch was difficlt for our fairly large caravan and car which we then had.

The following day, a Bongo campavan parked on the large reserved Blue peg pitch next door to us.

They told us they had arrived on spec' and were delighted with their spacious pitch

I phoned the club when we got home and was told "it is a matter for the wardens".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Sonar said:

Maybe the question asked before booking should be Can I pick a pitch from those that have not paid fully and booked.

Not sure I understand your point? Please explain  what you mean.

48 minutes ago, joanie said:

I have seen certain pitches reserved for the large RV's and also when we have had a lot of rain they do reserve the hard standings for the M/H so that they don't churn up the grass.   So are you wanting those folk to pay more for the pitch,  be careful what you wish for because the price wont come down and they may do that and later round it up so that we are all paying the same again.  On the other hand are you wanting the club to stop letting the large RV's on site. 

I am not proposing anything specifically, just instigating a discussion based on want we recently experienced. If others have solutions then they are welcome to propose them.

13 minutes ago, Ern said:

We stayed at the Brighton site and were told to "chose any pitch we desired, but not the ones with a Blue peg" We found the two worst smallest with a poor outlook pitches on the site were available to us out of a dozen or so empty.

We got pitched but the pitch was difficlt for our fairly large caravan and car which we then had.

The following day, a Bongo campavan parked on the large reserved Blue peg pitch next door to us.

They told us they had arrived on spec' and were delighted with their spacious pitch

I phoned the club when we got home and was told "it is a matter for the wardens".

The blue pegs are usually non awing pitches due to their smaller size - they are priced the same as white pegs though.

Edited by Fenester
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most Club pitches, both grass and hard-standing which are large enough to have an awning alongside,  have white pegs.   Smaller pitches without awnings have blue pegs.   Those with red pegs are normally fully-serviced pitches.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One lesson learnt was this .

 

Logically when you go on the CMHC website to book when you are not going to take an awning,is to book a non awning pitch. However on arrival you often find that blue peg pitches- non awning- are small and in inconvenient positions being squeezed in. St Agnes Beacon is a classic example of small blue peg pitches.

 

As blue and white are priced the same one is disadvantaged by booking a non awning pitch. Having learnt this lesson do we now book non awning pitches when not intending to use an awning  - no we don't. Only if all awning pitches have gone. If there was a price differential then this decision might alter.

 

,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I arrived at a very wet CMHC club site in May at 12.30 hoping to be able to pitch on a hard standing for an awning. I was told there was only only one hard standing not occupied, it was next to the site office, and that was being reserved for a large motorhome. When I passed the pitch later in the day it was occupied by a VW Camper. 

Further comment as to an answer to the issues raised in this thread would seem to be pointless.

 

Join

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Just one of the reasons we didn't renew our membership after the first year.  :o

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have noticed quite often that about 30 mins before arrival time, which at our current site is 1pm, there is a long queue of motorhomes on the entrance to the site. I guess this is because motorhomes can park up close to the site and wait until till near the arrival time, before pulling forward to the site, whereas caravans don't find it as easy to park anywhere to kill time.

 

So motorhomes seem to be on the site first, and at the front of any queue. They also do the morning shuffle where they move onto a better pitch as soon as it is vacated.

 

I guess that is the advantage of having a motorhome.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I trust (well, hope really) that a representative of the CMHC is reading these comments and will address the concerns of us mere caravaners 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Flat_at said:

 Just one of the reasons we didn't renew our membership after the first year.  :o

Only really renew ours for the CL’s

Rarely stay on a CC site!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, PR1 said:

Only really renew ours for the CL’s

Rarely stay on a CC site!

Same here, haven't been on a Club site for years. Whilst we are members, we only use CL sites-saying that I have only been asked once for our membership number by a CL owner in 10 years!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Fenester said:

One lesson learnt was this .

 

Logically when you go on the CMHC website to book when you are not going to take an awning,is to book a non awning pitch. However on arrival you often find that blue peg pitches- non awning- are small and in inconvenient positions being squeezed in. St Agnes Beacon is a classic example of small blue peg pitches.

 

As blue and white are priced the same one is disadvantaged by booking a non awning pitch. Having learnt this lesson do we now book non awning pitches when not intending to use an awning  - no we don't. Only if all awning pitches have gone. If there was a price differential then this decision might alter.

 

,

We made a similar mistake when booking Uttoxeter racecourse site a couple of years ago. Chose a non-awning pitch to avoid depriving choice to people with awnings. Arrived on site (25% full), and was offered a choice of 3 pitches. Asked why we couldn't have a wider choice - no you booked non-awning, can't change now. Site never filled to capacity, even though there was a race day during the week. Lesson learnt, rarely use an awning, but now always book 'with awning' pitches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, not only are pitches being reserved but in the mornings, the recently arrived  Motorhomers tend to switch to better pitches.

 

It's easy with a motorhome as opposed to a van so just further limits the arrivals to the worst pitches...

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If site staff are reserving pitches for motorhomers it will generally be for three reasons. 1) Someone in the party has a disability and has requested to be near a facility block ( no different for caravanners, 2) It is an over large unit and possible heavy unit that is unsuitable to be on a grass pitch and 3) In bad weather the site staff have to manage their site. No point allowing heavier vehicles to damage the grass surface when the sensible option is to put them on a hardstanding. Having used over the years more than half the sites the Club run I have only seen occasional use of reserved pitches. When on the IOW recently I noticed the odd pitch with a cone on it and a large unit arrived but there were other hardstanding pitches available on most days. 

 

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

 

Caravan Travels

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Early arrivals is another pet hate of mine, last week we were at Cayton Bay CMHC site and could see the entrance from our pitch.  Earliest arrival time is 12.00pm but they started to turn up at 11.00am........  On the rare occasions (twice that I can recall) that we have made such good progress that we could be a few minutes early I have always phoned ahead and asked if being 15 minutes early is going to be a problem I have always been told to park up somewhere and NOT arrive early!  

 

To be honest I'm usually so thankful to get away that we park in the first pitch we come to that looks half decent and just enjoy the break.  Inevitably if we walk round the site in the evening we have the usual "should have pitched here/there" conversation!!!!!

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The experience we had at Brighton (earlier post) was our last club site experience apart from a week on the Barnard Castle site where we had booked a full serviced pitch (booked many months before as a Covid contingency pitch). We no longer want to use the club sites for several reasons, preferring CL's and CS's.

GarryandTrish posted that CMC might see these posts and respond! You have got to be joking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ern said:

We no longer want to use the club sites for several reasons, preferring CL's and CS's.

 

 

Agreed there, the membership fee is worth it alone for access to the CL network.  

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

 

Agreed there, the membership fee is worth it alone for access to the CL network.  

CL's and Red Pennant are the only reason we pay that fee.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Ern said:

CL's and Red Pennant are the only reason we pay that fee.

 

+1

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Ern said:

CL's and Red Pennant are the only reason we pay that fee.

 

 +1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Gordon changed the title to CMC Reserving best pitches for Motorhomes

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...