Tow car suggestions?

Flatcoat888

Well after all the to-ing and fro-ing over 1500kg tow weight legality I can now turn my mind to the car shortlist. So to set the context we are moving from 2 cars to one so need to combine respective needs. So SWMBO considers my 4.65m long Volvo estate too long and low and will not even attempt to drive it (even with having a reversing camera). So the essential criteria is:

max length 4.5m

SUV styling

reversing camera

High spec (heated seats a must).

Automatic 

The nice to have:

4wd

sunroof

leather

Hybrid - Plug-in or self charging

Petrol (personally i prefer diesel)

Target Budget is circa £25-£28k but can stretch a touch if there is something really special/bargain out there. 

So far looking at new MG HS Hybrid mainly due to excellent deal for public sector employees. It also has all the bells and whistles imaginable and more besides. And SWMBO prefers it due to being new and petrol hybrid. A used Volvo XC40 D4 with all the gubbins including self parking (now that is quite a party trick which is helping sell it to the ‘boss’). 

And then I get stuck - Kia Sportage/Hyundai Tucson fit most of the bill especially in 2.0diesel MHEV form. The latest Tucson looks great but the more powerful hybrids are well over budget. Finding a product from VAG group that has a reversing camera AND heated seats is nigh on impossible. The Ateca could work IF I can find one with the full spec. 

Any other thoughts? I am buying on finance and finding some dealers finance rates are criminal given where the base rate is. 

Ford Kuga MHev or PHev.....

Jaguar ePace  either the 2l 180d HSE or 200/300 petrol HSE

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

The Kuga PHEV has a very low tow weight limit and the self charging versions are mostly over £30k. I forgot to include max age of 3 years. Can’t find a Jag in budget with reversing camera. PCP rates are high suggesting rubbish residuals and reliability….. mmmmm 

You will struggle to get a hybrid Tucson for your budget.

Kia Sportage gets remodelled next year so some good deals available 

Duncan

Edited by DUNCAN123

7 hours ago, Flatcoat888 said:

The Kuga PHEV has a very low tow weight limit and the self charging versions are mostly over £30k. I forgot to include max age of 3 years. Can’t find a Jag in budget with reversing camera. PCP rates are high suggesting rubbish residuals and reliability….. mmmmm 

The HSE spec has everything including reverse camera, full leather, heated seats with 16 way and memory for driver & front passenger, remote start and remote setting of climate control, lane assist, adaptive cruise, collision avoidance, heated front and rear screens.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Kia sportage is a great tow car (I've had 3) but can be pricy on finance. 

I am looking at a used Sportage 2.0Crd MHEV which come fully loaded. 

My approach in part is to look at PCP rates on like for like age and mileages. The lower the PCP the lower depreciation (assuming similar interest rates applied). That tends to rule out JLR products - compared with typical BMW/Volvo/Audi the JLR pcp is £100 or more per month more expensive. 

Keep your Volvo.  Change the wife ;)

2 minutes ago, Jimd said:

Keep your Volvo.  Change the wife ;)

That could be expensive too. Got the T shirt :P

Posted (edited)

Me too…. Believe me changing car is a much cheaper option! 

Given the Seat dealer isn’t interested in selling me their Ateca (twice asked for info and ignored) it is looking like the list is narrowing to: XC40/Sportage/Tucson/MG EHS. The Volvo is a very good price, Sportage is a bit of a yawn (good on paper but….), new Tucson looks good but probably too expensive, MG EHS is a veritable tech fest bargain but on the limit with weights and an unknown tow vehicle.  JLR products have dire residuals and reliability is a big question mark. Will do another trawl but so far nothing is jumping out. 

Edited by Flatcoat888

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/07/2021 at 15:59, Flatcoat888 said:

Me too…. Believe me changing car is a much cheaper option! 

Given the Seat dealer isn’t interested in selling me their Ateca (twice asked for info and ignored) it is looking like the list is narrowing to: XC40/Sportage/Tucson/MG EHS. The Volvo is a very good price, Sportage is a bit of a yawn (good on paper but….), new Tucson looks good but probably too expensive, MG EHS is a veritable tech fest bargain but on the limit with weights and an unknown tow vehicle.  JLR products have dire residuals and reliability is a big question mark. Will do another trawl but so far nothing is jumping out. 

How about a Honda CRV? Latest model includes a Hybrid AFAIK. No idea if it meets the budget though.

EDIT: Just checked it up, and it starts at over £30k new.., so maybe not.

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/cr-v-hybrid/overview.html

Edited by ThomsonTline77
New information

Posted (edited)

The tow limit is 750kg….. Shortlist is (all new) Tucson, Cupra Formentor and still (just) the MG. 

Edited by Flatcoat888

6 hours ago, Flatcoat888 said:

The tow limit is 750kg….. Shortlist is (all new) Tucson, Cupra Formentor and still (just) the MG. 

Shocked at that! What's the point of a 750kg towing limit? The old diesels were 2200!!

Yes, bizarre, must be losing sales. Honda now outsold by MG…., 

Flatcoat - My daughter got a very good PCP deal on a Disco Sport. Dont know the exact details but certainly less than £300 per month. Its a 2.0litre diesel auto mild hybrid.

Posted (edited)

Thanks but Without knowing the details it is impossible to assess. In theory it is possible but when I added the minimum features to the plug-in hybrid it was an expensive car.  All manufacturers have headline deals but not on sought after spec or models. And getting any new car is difficult due to supply problems. 

Edited by Flatcoat888

I priced up a Disco Sport on carwow and wow, the PCP price is eye watering. So, it is going to be Hyundai Tucson or subject to test drive possibly a Santa Fe (although I think it is too big for our needs). Driving the Tucson again I realised the MG is just not quite ‘there’ yet. Slow witted infotainment responses and the ride at times was a bit like a cross channel ferry in a swell. No doubt very good value and I wouldn’t dismiss the car if your journeys are local and cross European or lengthy UK trips are not your thing. The Cupra is no doubt the drivers choice and best build quality but the boot is too small and it is slowest of the 3. So, hopefully we can get the salesman’s pencil sharpened tommorrow….

Have a look at a Merk GLB its on my short list along with a Tarraco  for my next car, to replace my Tiguan it would now have a list of over £42.5K which I'm not paying for a VW, Tarraco comes out under £40K GLB over it..

GLB is only around 5.8" longer than my Tiguan and fits the bill in all arears but its not a pretty car, just like an xtrail of old really.

Edited by xtrailman

I always thought the GLB looks like a shrunken GLS 

Edited by DUNCAN123

But half the price.

Space wise its very near the GLC.

Thanks however none are readily available as a hybrid within budget. 

Kia Sportage?

Downside is it’s being replaced next year.

Upside is the prices dealers are offering.

Neighbour is looking at one just now 1.6 crdi  MHEV GTS line  £450 a month on a PCP on 10000 miles a year.

It’s a bit low powered and ‘the boss’ is insisting on petrol…..