Caravan site

Message added by CT Advertising,

Camptoo logoDo you want to go on an adventurous trip but still have the necessary luxury? You can! Treat yourself to a super holiday and enjoy the comforts by renting a luxurious campervan or motorhome.

Booked a site near Chippenham Had booked for 7 days extended it to 9 after 3 nights we had to go home my sister got covid who looks after my bedridden sister so only us to go and fend for her asked the site if they would let us have the remaining nights later in the year got a reply you can have 1 night foc
Not the reply I expected

Dobbo

I assume this site was an independent and as such not associated to either of the major clubs?

Yes it’s independent part of the tranquil sites 

With most sites at full or nearly full capacity, you are asking them to lose pitch income for no fault of their own. Were there any conditions on the booking? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

All I was asking if we could have time later in the year when it’s quiet 

6 minutes ago, dobbo said:

All I was asking if we could have time later in the year when it’s quiet 

Unfortunately independents aren't as forgiving as the club sites so unless you have personal insurance I'd follow the advice above.

Did you explain to the site owners/staff why you had to leave early?

I think the problem could lie with the fact they will be loosing income and could have booked others if they had longer notice.

that is where the CMC came into it's own in the last 18 months, we had booked a few sites and we also had to cancel a few as well, in fact one site we booked 3 times and each time we were due to go another lock down  came along, so we never booked it again until this year. 

1 hour ago, Sonar said:

I think the problem could lie with the fact they will be loosing income and could have booked others if they had longer notice.

Exactly, an empty pitch with no income is a problem. Check the T&C's but I'd be very surprised if refunds are offered for cancellations.

I suppose the best thing would be to offer a refund if they manage to sell the pitch.

Never wanted a refund I just thought as a gesture of goodwill they would let us go back later in the year and I had explained the reason why have been before but definitely wouldn’t go back 

I guess it very much depends on the site. I had to cancel a weeks booking at Seahouses due to our new swift not being ready (it’s almost a month delayed now). I didn’t expect anything but to lose my money because it was only a few days notice but they automatically asked me if I wanted dates later. I guess in current climate they could easily rebook it - so I went for the last week of their season in October - here’s hoping the van is finished by then...🤞

Edited by Dazzyt66

I'd let them know you are not returning and the reason, if just to put your point across.

It circumstances such as you have outlined it would indeed be nice if the site offered to credit your lost nights for a future date, but I certainly wouldn’t expect it.

You booked 9 nights then left after three. The chances of them reselling your (now vacant) pitch at such short notice are slim so why should they lose the income from those 6 nights?? 

As for going back later in the year look at it from their perspective. If they let you stay, ostensibly for free, at some point in the future they are still going to lose out on 6 nights income whether that’s the six you have just given up, or the six you get for “free” in the future 

If you were running a holiday let cottage, and someone left 6 days early would you give them their money back or let them stay free later in the year??

Sorry, but I think you are being just a tad unreasonable in your expectations, especially when you consider the losses campsites have suffered over the past 16 months.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Looked on there site last night to book and it’s full so must have resold my nights 

I mean if they had offered to move my nights would have gone back next year and more after that but wouldn’t go back now 

16 minutes ago, dobbo said:

Looked on there site last night to book and it’s full so must have resold my nights  

Or they haven’t updated their booking system! Either way it’s in the past and cannot be altered.

In the great scale of things is it really something you should be getting yourself all stressed out about??

To quote that awful Disney song, you need to “Let it go, let it GO!”.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

I know but

Unless their conditions allowed you to be credited with the extra nights there is nothing you can do although if they were able to re let the pitch it is bad customer service. Your only recourse is do not book again and possibly add something on Trip Advisor to warn others. 

Do you realise that they would have lost money if they had given you a refund? In a way, you were asking them to give money away to you. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Just to throw a spanner into the works I wonder how the situation would have been treated if the OP's NHS Covid App had pinged......

Dobo. Hope your sisteri recovers. and gets well soon .   No one likes to lose-out, especially me; but write it down to an experience and plan your next holiday . Life is too short.

In the same way IMHO. The site is in business to make money, and it is the punter's hard luck if great aunt Florrie is taken poorly, or a ping from the Covid App is received.

The Tranquil Parks set up is great, we use them a lot. Most, if not all, the sites want either a decent sized deposit, or the full amount on booking, and it is up to us whether we agree with this or not - we accept it because that is a known t & c and therefore comply with it. 
If we want to cancel or change, we know it is the sites choice whether to allow or not and understand their need to receive income. Why should they be penalised for something way out of their control?

when we used to hire caravans or cottages before we had our own van, we always had holiday insurance , cost about £10 or £20 I think, but we always had it. Can you do that sort of thing now?

20 hours ago, dobbo said:

Never wanted a refund I just thought as a gesture of goodwill they would let us go back later in the year and I had explained the reason why have been before but definitely wouldn’t go back 

I think allowing you to stay there  out of season is absolutely the decent thing to do.

We used to rent out a holiday home abroad and if someone cancelled due to ill health we would try and postpone the stay to a quiet time.

At busy times we've even refunded them if we were able to re-let for the same price.