France this year Yes or No?

We are booked to travel over to France in September a transfer from last year and we have the option of transferring to next year!  Just wondered has anyone been over recently with their caravan and in particular how did they manage in relation to accessing tests and what they do actually cost in France?

We are a little unsure but would however love to go over, any comments much appreciated.

Stay safe everyone and enjoy the remainder of our summer.

we are in exactly the same predicament and have committed to go on the 2/9 down to Port Grimaud.

Just now investigating the tests.  Keep in touch maybe we can share info.

As the rules stand now……If you are fully jabbed there are no tests needed inUK before  you go . To come back you need a simple quick lateral flow antigen test at a pharmacy in France and the set price for that is 29  euros.

But what tests you will need when you are back in UK in September is not yet known. 

Such a volatile situation as moorgate mentions above....

Probably best to review the situation nearer the time.

We are going and will decide which way to turn in Bilbao, unless things change again its going to be about 3 weeks in France then back into Spain and should then avoid quarantine

Thanks to everyone who has replied, Colin H if you do get any further information that would be appreciated.  It is such a difficult situation we are all in at the moment maybe we will see what the government is going to announce next week I believe there will be an update.  Useful to know you can get the antigen tests easily enough thanks. 

We have been in France since June in the Dordogne. Done several sites & all quite laid back. Was asked if vacced when we arrived at present site & they took our word. Did not want proof. Same in cafes. We don’t eat out much & then only in cheap places like supermarket cafes & no probs at all. 

When we went by Eurotunnel we just had the antigen tests previous day at a place near us & just took the required bits of paper no probs no delays. Right now you have to quarantine at home for 10 days on return from France but we are booked to return in Sept from Holland which was cheapest route back anyway & lands us at Harwich near where we live.  So as things stand no quarantine on return from Holland if you spend your last 10 days there.  Most Dutch speak English so easier to get a test to return there than France. 

Just given up with the continent this year as too difficult to be sure what will happen. 

We would love to go but too much uncertainty  and govt moving goalposts:(

Next year fingers crossed!

We have had 6 weeks in various UK locations and off again soon, beauty of having a tourer.

20 hours ago, Wildwood said:

Just given up with the continent this year as too difficult to be sure what will happen. 

13 hours ago, 664DaveS said:

We would love to go but too much uncertainty  and govt moving goalposts:(

Next year fingers crossed!

I tend to agree with "Wildwood" and "664DaveS" and we will be staying in the UK for the foreseeable future. Much as we love to travel abroad, with first the Immigrant issues at the ferry ports, then the uncertainty over Brexit, and now Covid-19 restrictions, foreign travel for us has lost its appeal, so will remain off the menu until a degree of normality returns.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

We may go for a sunshine break later in the year or a cruise. Just too much uncertainty  at the moment. The travel industry must be very concerned with all the changes.

Surprised anybody finds Calais migrants any sort of issue. They have been around in numbers since the 1990s. They are always about but I have used Calais literally 100sof times with no problem. Ok so they wander about in the road or whatever a bit but hardly a reason for not going. 

I have always found the situation quite interesting. On day trips we have done a lot of driving about in Calais looking at their camps & such like. Good luck to most of ‘em I say. 

No

9 hours ago, Camperdom said:

Surprised anybody finds Calais migrants any sort of issue. They have been around in numbers since the 1990s. They are always about but I have used Calais literally 100sof times with no problem. Ok so they wander about in the road or whatever a bit but hardly a reason for not going.

Some years ago we travelled in an open top car on a day trip via Calais to purchase provisions for our daughter's wedding, and when returning to the port were directed into an open car park just short of the ferry terminal by the French police. There we were approached by some rather unsavoury characters and my wife and daughter both felt intimidated and threatened but because the police took no action to prevent this - both my wife and daughter vowed never to travel via Calais port again until the situation improved. Sadly bad memories stay a long time and influence future decisions. such that neither of them have wanted to travel via Calais since that day, and I have been unable to persuade them otherwise. 

Sorry Camperdom, this experience has ruined any chance I may have had to take the family to France via Calais since that day, and as I am not prepared to pay the premium of the longer crossings with Brittany Ferries, and as our vehicle is powered by LPG the tunnel is not an option, that only leaves Dunkerque of the acceptable crossings. Unfortunately there were also a plethora of migrants hanging around the dock area there too the last time I travelled alone, so I have little choice but to accept the family's decision to stay in the UK.

Sad times I know but I do have to put the family's feelings first so if they're not happy we don't go, as holidays and day trips are meant to be enjoyed, not endured.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

We have normally used routes from Southampton and not been through Calais although on the last time we did, we did not stop at any services near there and were able to drive straight into the port without trouble. Cost me a bit more in diesel as we could not fill up late in the trip but we lived with that.

I haven't used Calais for years, its not convenient for us and even before migrant issues became so obvious its a truly horrible way to start and finish a holiday  in somewhere like an armed camp. These days we are using Caen , Bilbao and  Rotterdam (Zeebrugge no longer sailing)  but have in the past used  St Malo, Cherbourg and Le Havre .

Its a great way to start a holiday and if heading for the West Coast or Brittany saves hundreds of miles, 2 days and a load of tolls compared with Calais

6 hours ago, Wildwood said:

We have normally used routes from Southampton and not been through Calais although on the last time we did, we did not stop at any services near there and were able to drive straight into the port without trouble. Cost me a bit more in diesel as we could not fill up late in the trip but we lived with that.

Southampton?

Is it Portsmouth, can never remember which it starts from. Both are interchangeable for someone coming down from Scotland. 

6 hours ago, Wildwood said:

Is it Portsmouth, can never remember which it starts from. Both are interchangeable for someone coming down from Scotland. 

If its cross channel ferries its Portsmouth