Where do you hire a towcar?

Gordon Luff

Message added by CT Advertising,

Camptoo logoDo you want to go on an adventurous trip but still have the necessary luxury? You can! Treat yourself to a super holiday and enjoy the comforts by renting a luxurious campervan or motorhome.

I wasn't sure what section to put this in. On Friday I was in an accident with my towcar. It has possibly been written off. I am due to go on holiday this Thursday with the caravan. My insurers Direct Line use Enterprise to provide the loan vehicles for the policy. However, Enterprise do not provide vehicles with tow bars. I have 0% liability for the accident and presumably I can recover the costs of the tow car as uninsured losses. I do have legal expenses cover. Where is the best place in the Surrey are to hire a suitable tow car for a short term?

I don’t think any of the big players offer cars with tow bars. I would speak with your insurance company and see what they have to say on the matter. They may know of someone who hires out towbar equipped vehicles, and be able to advise you about cost recovery. Deal through them they are the experts in the field. 

Have you tried Mr Google?? I found This  and This within 30 seconds of searching ! 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

I have spoken to the insurers and probably because of the weekend they are not being very helpful. Google does not come up with tow cars for hire, just trucks and vans for commercial use or sites that pick up on the words and suggest they can help but can't. I am sure there are numerous people out there that must have been in this same situation.

Have a look at the links I provided! Both hire out suitable vehicles. I am sure there are more. 

I used “car hire for towing” in google search

16D6F153-57D3-4563-B2FA-CABFA624AD51.png

Edited by Mr Plodd

Practical Car and Van Rental.

The nearest to the OP is at TN12 which should be Tonbridge.

5 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

Practical Car and Van Rental.

The nearest to the OP is at TN12 which should be Tonbridge.

No mention of vehicles to tow with though. 

Yes there is hidden at the bottom, missed it first time :unsure:

Edited by Mr Plodd

Just now, Lost in the wilderness said:

If you have a pre booked holiday, get back to your insurance, and tell them you need a suitable vehicle with tow bar

I think you will need to contact the holiday insurance company for that, not  the vehicles insurance company.

2 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I think you will need to contact the holiday insurance company for that, not  the vehicles insurance company.

Last year, suffered an accident, when a contractor forgot to apply handbrake, and his van rolled into my car. 
Now, I didn’t deal with it through my insurance, by via the cars “assist” scheme. They offered a “like for like” hire car, and specifically asked if I wanted the tow bar. 
There is no harm in asking. 

1 hour ago, Gordon Luff said:

I wasn't sure what section to put this in. On Friday I was in an accident with my towcar. It has possibly been written off. I am due to go on holiday this Thursday with the caravan. My insurers Direct Line use Enterprise to provide the loan vehicles for the policy. However, Enterprise do not provide vehicles with tow bars. I have 0% liability for the accident and presumably I can recover the costs of the tow car as uninsured losses. I do have legal expenses cover. Where is the best place in the Surrey are to hire a suitable tow car for a short term?

I had a different outcome when someone put my vehicle out of action for three months sent dash cam video to my insurance company they confirmed it was a NFC a short time after receiving footage and within a hour Informed me Enterprise had a tow car waiting for me , I didn’t ask specifically for one but my insurance company said I was entitled to like for like replacement in my policy.

Not all policy state like for like ,so if it was your insurance said that it may be worth a call to them yourself also try different depot’s.

I found a local small chain of car hire outlets who said they hired out towcar suitable for caravans. When I got there it was a pick up truck and the tow electrics were 7 pin. I called at a Halfords on the way home and got a 7pin to 13 pin converter lead, which I haven't used since that day.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Thanks all, I have sent a message to Indigo and will await their call on Monday.

We had a Discovery Sport with tow bar from Enterprise.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Slightly off topic but may be relevant to the OP. When hiring a vehicle to use for towing, does the hire company give you an extra rear registration plate to use on whatever you are towing?

Just curious, never had to do it before (and touch wood I never will need to).

1 hour ago, Joe1002 said:

Slightly off topic but may be relevant to the OP. When hiring a vehicle to use for towing, does the hire company give you an extra rear registration plate to use on whatever you are towing?

Just curious, never had to do it before (and touch wood I never will need to).

I used to regularly hire a Crafter van from Afford in Crewe to tow a rally car on a trailer. The extra number plate was there, with a note that if it wasn't returned, there was a relatively hefty fee!

15 minutes ago, AlwynMike said:

I used to regularly hire a Crafter van from Afford in Crewe to tow a rally car on a trailer. The extra number plate was there, with a note that if it wasn't returned, there was a relatively hefty fee!

Thanks Mike, makes sense and, of course, the fee is understandable. 

On 25/07/2021 at 15:54, Gordon Luff said:

We hire commercial 4x4's and pickups from SHB which are now part of Enterprise and they do them with towbars.

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.