Hello there, my family and I were really wishing to invest in buying a static caravan and have picked our perfect site that is pretty new and is building a second phase of caravan sites very soon. The only problem is, how can I afford to pay nearly and sometimes over £40,000 for a new caravan? Even the used ones are very expensive! The site fees and everything else we can afford however, the only obstacle is how can we actually buy the caravan in the first place? Is there finance options available? Tell me about your experiences! 

Thanks! 

Jane 

Buying a static van is something which you must delve into in very fine detail , especially the site rules and regulations.

From the very start you are at the mercy of the site owners and to think of buying as an investment is a mistake.

You lose money as soon as you sign the contract, and continue to lose money all the time you own it, with site fees , gas and electric costs, inspections etc etc etc.

Buying on finance is even worse as you will be very limited as to who will lend the money and what interest rates they charge.

Having seen and heard first hand of the nightmares many people have had with the ownership of static vans, my advice is forget the dream, unless you like nightmares.!!!!

If you do decide to go ahead, then realise that the costs are not worth the anxiety of finding the money and want to sell the van, then expect to be only able to sell back to the site who will offer you what is basically scrap value, nothing like what you paid for it, then sell it on for the full RRP.

Edited by Brecon

9 hours ago, Jane Porter said:

Hello there, my family and I were really wishing to invest in buying a static caravan and have picked our perfect site that is pretty new and is building a second phase of caravan sites very soon. The only problem is, how can I afford to pay nearly and sometimes over £40,000 for a new caravan? Even the used ones are very expensive! The site fees and everything else we can afford however, the only obstacle is how can we actually buy the caravan in the first place? Is there finance options available? Tell me about your experiences! 

Thanks! 

Jane 

Good morning to you.

One word in your post has leapt out and badly frightened me.

"Invest".

A static caravan is NOT, repeat NOT an investment.

It is purchased for the ongoing enjoyment you and you family will get from it, it will have ongoing running costs, and when you finally sell it it will be for a very small fraction of what you paid for it. Once you have purchased, consider that money gone forever.

I do hope that you have not been sucked in by those glossy adverts suggesting that a static caravan is a money-making exercise - the only people who make money will be the site owner. You just help him make money.

If you are buying a static because you love the idea of your own home-from-home to go on holiday at the drop of a hat whenever you feel like it, then a static is a good choice - provided, as Brecon says, you carry out your research.

If you have never tried out the static lifestyle, then a site that is already up and running will be a better choice than a new development - do you really want to holiday on a building site?

Finance is available, but carry out a lot of research in this as well, as it can be (a) expensive, and (b) restrictive.

Start off by thinking about a personal loan - just as if you are buying a car.

(Are you sure that your new site is charging £40,000 for a newly sited static? Most new developments are charging quite a bit more than that nowadays)

Sorry, I didn't mean invest as in use as a money making thing I meant it as another word of buy whoops! My mum and dad are in their mid 50s now and we definitely think it would be great to have something to relax in as our home away from home. 

Do you have any advice on how to get the best deal etc? And what is the best options to buy one, is it better to but a used static or what do you think? Thanks all for your replies and sorry if I didn't make myself a bit clearer! 

Thanks 😊

25 minutes ago, Jane Porter said:

And what is the best options to buy one, is it better to but a used static or what do you think?

The best answer is not to buy one to start with unless you like throwing money away !

Are you prepared after a few years to have lost most of the cost but still have to pay the repayments to the finance company long after you no longer own the caravan? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Have you considered buying a large touring caravan, adding a full awning and siting it for the season on a site.

Much better value and not tied to the site

Just looking at  possible finance , If you bought a static at the £40,000 and paid it off over 10 years it would cost you £481 per month, that is a total of £57,000.

Add on the site fees, gas, electric connection fees etc etc and you are looking at a huge amount of money for a pipedream of a "Home away from Home".

£481/month might pay the mortgage on a seaside flat somewhere - much better investment

Relatives of ours reckon site fees and other costs set them back the best part of £5K a year for their static. They got to the point where they were not enjoying ( to make the expenditure worthwhile ) travelling to it every other week. Had just become a habit and they got bored. Sold up, lost a lot on the van sale, and now don’t miss it. 
I appreciate this won’t be everyone’s experience, but should be considered.

Talk to the site owners they will be able to sort it out for you.

least your have a static that they will approve of.

they should be able to arrange financing as well.

they did for us in  crimden near Hartlepool.

11 minutes ago, Sonar said:

Talk to the site owners they will be able to sort it out for you.

least your have a static that they will approve of.

they should be able to arrange financing as well.

they did for us in  crimden near Hartlepool.

Just to elaborate on this reply.

1 . "Talk to the site owners they will be able to sort it out for you.".........Of course they will, they want to sell you a van

2. "least your have a static that they will approve of."     Yes it will, the one they want you to buy and earn commission on it ..... more money to them.!

3. "they should be able to arrange financing as well".... Yes of course they will, even more commission for them.

Never owned a static (never wanted one) but I know someone who did.

Their major issue was that the site required them to renew it every 10 years, or they had to move it to a less desirable pitch at the back of the site.

16 minutes ago, Brecon said:

Just to elaborate on this reply.

1 . "Talk to the site owners they will be able to sort it out for you.".........Of course they will, they want to sell you a van

2. "least your have a static that they will approve of."     Yes it will, the one they want you to buy and earn commission on it ..... more money to them.!

3. "they should be able to arrange financing as well".... Yes of course they will, even more commission for them.

Some sites you HAVE TO BUY through the site owners.

and again depends if you have the time to sort it all out yourself.

Edited by Sonar
Erased the red text

Just to add to your woes - do bear in mind that the pitch fees are not a fixed cost - they are annual, and invariably increase each year.

A static can be a very good buy purely for the pleasure you have using it, but if you can only purchase by using finance or taking out a loan, it will not make economic sense.

As it sounds as if you are new to the idea of statics in general, why not try this and next year booking holidays in various static parks in various areas, to try out the lifestyle and also the parks.

There is every possibility that in 18 months time, when the issue of travelling abroad is easing, there may be a lot of statics on the market, and the prices will have dropped and there will be several suitable parks with offers ready to attract buyers.

We’ve had our static for ten years, bought brand new through the site, and haven’t regretted it for one single second. We can’t be the only ones who feel like this as there are a heck of a lot of statics and sites, and happy owners😁

We knew all the costs involved before we signed anything,  we also knew we had to buy through the site (similar to buying a new car from a dealer rather than the factory), visited a few caravan manufacturers and chose the caravan that suited us best. The site didn’t give us a list to choose from, they were happy with whichever one we wanted.

As is the case with many things, the bad things that happen are far more talked/written about than those, like ourselves who’ve had no problems.

Our licence is for sixteen years, extendable by another eight years as long as we meet certain criteria...keep the caravan and pitch in good order, gas and electric tested every year, don’t suddenly turn into ‘ravers’ and make a nuisance of ourselves to other owners 🥳 Unless something untoward happens we see ourselves keeping it until the licence expires, knowing we’ve had good use and very happy times in it.

If at any time we want to pass it on to any of our family, we can, it will just be a change of ownership, no fees involved. If we do decide to sell then the site takes a % of what we get for it, something we’ve always been aware of.

We’re not allowed to let it out..not that we want to..but family and friends can stay in it. We spend so much time there though, it’s only been family stay there a couple of times. Friends have stayed when invited by us while we’re there.

Site fees are £3000, insurance approx £300, electricity about £100, and gas about £160. Per year.

It’s not for everyone but there are many hundreds of people who thoroughly enjoy owning a static and find it worth every penny 🙂

Bought mine through the site owner as well the same conditions as yourself.

the site owners gave us a choice of two companies that they dealt with.

we made our choice from them.

we never had to spend a lot of time sorting anything out .  Picked a pitch then there was a choice. And then some time later the site said it was all ready.

sited plumbed sorted. 

we were happy with the site and the arrangements .

right up until we sold the static through the site owners again never did much they sorted it all for us.

stressless.

if I was in a position that I would again like a static  I would do the same.

Jane, I think you have had a fair range of opinions/experiences to consider.

After almost 40 years of caravanning, including the last 5 on seasonal pitches, we have taken the plunge and bought a used static on a countryside location.  We hope it works for us and that our research helps us avoid the bad experiences others have had.

One of the things that gave us much food for thought was a buyers guide available from www.highfields-retreat.co.uk .  Yes, they are in the holiday park business and of course the guide is promoting what they offer BUT most of the information and advice is quite good and worth reading.  Other guides and advice exists,  e.g.  from NACO,  holidayparkexperts.co.uk ,     the BH&HPA and from some of the insurers.  Have a google and see for youself.

I hope this helps.

Thanks to you three for painting such a good positive picture of static ownership. Us tourers tend to have read of the nightmares so it is good to hear from the other side.

Graham

I recently traded in my tourer for a static and it’s been a revelation. We’re away every other weekend and already had family enjoying the van on the alternative weekends. It’s hardly been empty since April. Unlike my tourer which we found difficult to get away

for weekends, so was restricted to long weekends and weeks off. 

Now it’s so easy. No towing or prep. Just Chuck an overnight bag in the car and arrive whenever we want. Turn on the water and relax. Absolutely love it with the Norfolk Broads and the beach on our doorstep. 

As long as you understand the costs and the fine print, there should be any surprises. It isn’t a financial investment but it’s well worth the cost to us and we have already made some wonderful new friends that you wouldn’t expect to make when touring. 

I’d say over half of the owners on our site were previously tourers, us included. Our neighbours one side have an apartment, the static, and a motor home.

So pleased you’re enjoying it Tonks, and you’re certainly in a lovely part of the country 👍

I agree with the comments made by the static owners. 

In our case it was not a change from touring, but an addition.  We still use our tourer when we visit other areas of the country, but the static is a great "home from home". for us and our family.

The benefit is that it is always ready for us to use without needng to make bookings.  We can decide to go at short notice,  or cancel without any problems. 

It is on a lovely, owner-only site, so no sub-rentals are allowed.  We regarded the initial price as "lost" money because we knew that it would never be recovered if we changed our minds.  The annual costs are good value compared to renting holiday accommodation.  We did not regret the decision to buy.

Always do your research and make sure you are aware of the costs involved and make sure all agreements are included in the written contract.

Good luck.

I recall a few years ago reading a comment from a static owner which said that, in his/her opinion, the people who were unhappy with their static had either not read and understood their contract, or assumed that the terms and conditions did not apply to them - and later became disgruntled with the terms they had willingly signed up to.

The vast majority of static owners seem very happy with their purchase,  but have little reason to come on forums to say so. unless/until somebody asks.

As this topic is so relevant to Statics and this section, it is now pinned to be of use to future members.

Graham

On 25/07/2021 at 09:37, Jane Porter said:

Sorry, I didn't mean invest as in use as a money making thing I meant it as another word of buy whoops! My mum and dad are in their mid 50s now and we definitely think it would be great to have something to relax in as our home away from home. 

Do you have any advice on how to get the best deal etc? And what is the best options to buy one, is it better to but a used static or what do you think? Thanks all for your replies and sorry if I didn't make myself a bit clearer! 

Thanks 😊

Jane

I think if you can find a static in a location you like spending a lot of time it does have it's attractions. I suppose you have to think about what you currently do for holidays and how that and the annual costs would dovetail into your lives.  I was a little unsure who was buying, whether it was you or your parents? If it were your parents and they own their own house then one possible option might be Equity Release which has moved on a lot in recent years with newcomers to the market like Nationwide. Interest rates are currently low, far lower than any finance deal.  If it was yourself buying then perhaps that would not be an option because  you are too young;)

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels