Jump to content

Returning from France


Recommended Posts

We were due to holiday in france last year and Covid19  stopped all that. We have rolled our CMC booked Ferry over to this year. The bit that still puzzles me is how you take a Covid19 test on return to the uk. Can you simply take a lateral flow test and show that or do you need a test by a french authority.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My work colleague drove to Spain via the tunnel a week last Friday. Before he went he had to book a Lateral flow test 24hrs before departure. He also had to book via the NHS a PCR test which will be waiting for him on his return, isolate for 48hrs while waiting the test results. This was before Boris changed the goal posts, for France from amber to amber+, meaning he will have to self isolate for 10 days, on his return.

I may be wrong, but I suppose someone on here will put my reply in order if it is wrong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, colin h said:

We were due to holiday in france last year and Covid19  stopped all that. We have rolled our CMC booked Ferry over to this year. The bit that still puzzles me is how you take a Covid19 test on return to the uk. Can you simply take a lateral flow test and show that or do you need a test by a french authority.

You can organise it in a Pharmacy, either with an advance booking, or make an appointment.  You can find places to have it done on the Sante.fr website.  Search the 'Departement' you are staying in, or travelling through, under 'Depistage Covid 19".  Make sure you have enough time to get the results before your crossing, and that they have enough time to email you before they close for the weekend!

21 hours ago, David P said:

My work colleague drove to Spain via the tunnel a week last Friday. Before he went he had to book a Lateral flow test 24hrs before departure. He also had to book via the NHS a PCR test which will be waiting for him on his return, isolate for 48hrs while waiting the test results. This was before Boris changed the goal posts, for France from amber to amber+, meaning he will have to self isolate for 10 days, on his return.

I may be wrong, but I suppose someone on here will put my reply in order if it is wrong. 

There are no need for him to book his return tests before his departure from the UK.   We didn't, and neither did anyone else I know.   You don't have to book the tests for return until just a few days before returning.   He will now have to book a test to leave France, and two tests (Day 2 and Day 8) on return to the UK, and quarantine.  BUT that may change, change,  and change again before he goes back, which is precisely we did nothing on arrival, and won't until a few days before we return.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I do not understand is why France is now amber+ and going to UK you have to quarantine.

Look at the stats over the last few weeks France's figures are far better than the UK.

Or is it just political?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, MGBGTV8 said:

What I do not understand is why France is now amber+ and going to UK you have to quarantine.

Look at the stats over the last few weeks France's figures are far better than the UK.

Or is it just political?

 

Definitely political. They are making it more costly both financially, multiple tests, and time wise, isolation upon return, for people to have their holidays abroad and trying to keep them in the UK to spend money there instead.!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/07/2021 at 09:25, ValA said:

 

There are no need for him to book his return tests before his departure from the UK.   We didn't, and neither did anyone else I know.   You don't have to book the tests for return until just a few days before returning.   He will now have to book a test to leave France, and two tests (Day 2 and Day 8) on return to the UK, and quarantine.  BUT that may change, change,  and change again before he goes back, which is precisely we did nothing on arrival, and won't until a few days before we return.  

I was just posting an example?

The Wife and I made the decision last year, not to go to France this year, because of the pandemic with the swift swings in policy making. 

I don't  need to go, so why put myself into this situation. Government are advising you not to go, so unless you must go, because of a valid reason, I don't  see the need.

My colleague needed to go, as he has his own place up in the mountains in Spain and as he had not been out there for a year, he needed to drive, to take stuff out there,  meaning he has to go through France,  as the tunnel was booked and paid for, for a trip, back last year.

His choice, now he will have to isolate on his return. Unfortunately not being paid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, David P said:

I was just posting an example?

The Wife and I made the decision last year, not to go to France this year, because of the pandemic with the swift swings in policy making. 

I don't  need to go, so why put myself into this situation. Government are advising you not to go, so unless you must go, because of a valid reason, I don't  see the need.

My colleague needed to go, as he has his own place up in the mountains in Spain and as he had not been out there for a year, he needed to drive, to take stuff out there,  meaning he has to go through France,  as the tunnel was booked and paid for, for a trip, back last year.

His choice, now he will have to isolate on his return. Unfortunately not being paid.

If 10 days is going to cost  him in loss of earnings it could be worth thinking about a ferry back direct from Spain and not ( unless things change) have to quarantine or do a day 8 test.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I will wait until the 1st September, the week before we intend to travel to France, before trying to absorb the required procedure.


By then, all the likely twists and turns will probably have been ironed out. If not, they will no doubt be clearer and current.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ericfield said:

I think I will wait until the 1st September, the week before we intend to travel to France, before trying to absorb the required procedure.


By then, all the likely twists and turns will probably have been ironed out. If not, they will no doubt be clearer and current.

 

 

To be honest, I don't think so. This covid is so prevalent in it's mutation, we will have another Greek letter to contend with, by then!

Personally I think this virus will be with us forever unfortunately. We will have to live and adapt with it, just as we do with its cousin the Flu, look at the statistics on how many lives the Flu takes per year?

We like you, tend to go to France in September, but not last or this year, lets see what next year brings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, MDM said:

Definitely political. They are making it more costly both financially, multiple tests, and time wise, isolation upon return, for people to have their holidays abroad and trying to keep them in the UK to spend money there instead.!

Makes it damn difficult for us UK nationals living in France to visit family in UK, not seen my grandkids for18 months 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, David P said:

 

The Wife and I made the decision last year, not to go to France this year, because of the pandemic with the swift swings in policy making. 

I don't  need to go, so why put myself into this situation. Government are advising you not to go, so unless you must go, because of a valid reason, I don't  see the need.

 

:goodpost::Plus1:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

France has now been moved to the Amber list, meaning quarantine is no longer required, but Day 2  tests are required on return to the UK for the double vaccinated (2 and 8 for the unvaccinated), and a test to leave France (required by your carrier) is also required, up to 72 hours before departure.  The timings are being strictly adhered to by some companies, but strangely not be others!

Edited by ValA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...