Sprite battery charging on tow?

geo3geo

The fridge on my Sprite Alpine 2 operates while on tow.

But does the caravan battery get charged?

Whilst "true" as because the fridge "operates" the probability is your car's wiring is complete, don't therefore assume the battery charging will be that effective, even more so if a modern car with a smart technology alterntor system.

The effectiveness can be very disappointing due to voltage drops from the managed levels in the car right through to the van's battery. Indeed a smart alternator's management system will strive to do the very minimum it can to lower the energy it saps, that is why it is used.

Certain caravan power systems [eg Schaudt units] feature a  battery charging booster to try and counter this issue, and succeed effectively, but I am not aware either way if your van has that type of technology installed.

Thanks for the replies. I guess the best way to find out is do a test. Start with, say, a battery at 80% and check it after a known number of hours driving to get a charge rate.

On 24/07/2021 at 09:52, geo3geo said:

The fridge on my Sprite Alpine 2 operates while on tow.

But does the caravan battery get charged?

Only if you have a permanent supply, and cooling to the fridge.

The fridge has a separate supply and also allows the permanent feed to charge the battery assuming the fridge supply is on.