Storm warning this weekend

WispMan

BBC website has given a storm warning to caravanners and camp sites for this weekend. 

I can't link from my device at the moment. 

Warning is for possible floods. 

55mph winds for Southern England, the South Coast and South Wales 

Forecast relates to Friday evening. 

image.png.9ee72b1d5fe7f05b68055bdfc6f27708.png

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Yep, some hatches already battened:beardy:

Jaguar XF-S Sportbrake (2018) towing Coachman VIP575 (2018).

I’m glad we’re at home then, otherwise we’d be right in the middle of it 😱

Thanks for reminder, need to shut my van windows which is still parked on our drive as waiting for a new electric cooling  fan for our Mondeo to come from Germany...on top of replacing the turbo actuator, and a punctured tyre..which has delayed our to to Devon by a week...

Edited by gtepete

Not for us in Scotland. Usually the weather here is worse than yours, but this time we have wall to wall sunshine until Tuesday and very little of note after that. 

Now on my desktop:-

Holidaymakers travelling this weekend have been warned to expect flooding, thunderstorms and 55mph gusts of wind.

The Met Office issued yellow warnings - meaning there is a risk of some disruption - on Friday for storms in southern England and south Wales, as well as wind across the south coast.

Campsites may face high winds while cars towing caravans could face tricky driving conditions.

Some areas could see 35mm of rain in an hour overnight, with possible flooding.

The thunderstorms come after days of high temperatures, which prompted the Met Office to issue the first of its new style warnings for extreme heat.

As the heatwave breaks, strong, gusty winds are expected to develop throughout the afternoon and evening on Friday, when holidaymakers may be heading off on weekend trips.

Exposed coastal areas and hilly places are the most likely to experience gusts of between 45mph and 55mph.

As well as affecting caravans and tents, the high winds could cause delays to ferry services and coastal routes may be affected by sea spray and large waves, the Met Office said.

Thunderstorms are expected to move into southern England during Friday night, with frequent lightning and the possibility of large hailstones falling.

Graham

one thing to take note of, for those with awnings, apart from fitting storm straps, is to move anything  on the floor that could get ruined by water  in your awning.  The reason being because the ground is so dry and hard after all the sun and the rain wont soak into the ground right away and has to go somewhere, which may be under your awning

At home in Newport S.Wales. Woke at around 5:30 this morning to see light rain. Went back to sleep and was woken again at 6:15 by thunder and lightning accompanied by torrential rain and strong winds which lasted for around half an hour. It's now 8:15 and all the neighbours roofs are dry again, the wind has died down and the skies are full of broken cloud. Lets get it over with in the next few days as we're off next weekend. Fingers crossed.

Here in Kent (Ashford) at the moment it's raining but not heavily and no wind, in fact it's quite calm. We did have thunder and lightning early this morning. 

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

2 hours ago, Doosan said:

Here in Kent (Ashford) at the moment it's raining but not heavily and no wind,

And closer to London in NE Surrey, the wind is nothing more than a gentle breeze - with no rain - yet.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

We are in Cornwall nr Padstow.  Had a little wind yesterday evening then it just dropped. Had two bouts of rain in the night but nothing special. Overcast this morning  but certainly no extreme weather. Maybe to come🤔

It looks like the BBC's storm warning  has been a bit of a damp squib. 

Graham

I wonder if it had anything to do with this weekend being the most congested on the roads as the great getaway gets underway. ;)  

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

I find this site very useful for real-time wind conditions.

We are sat in a pub garden just outside of Maidstone apart from being  a bit overcast very pleasant. Had a bit of thunder overnight and some light rain in the early hours. Apart from that all’s good👍

Currently at Atlantic View Farm CL near Bude.

It's blowing a bit. We are moving on up the coast tomorrow.

Took my sun canopy down earlier and will ride it out.

Can't be any worse than when we were on Dartmoor at Christmas!

It was a bit breezy yesterday evening but OK but overcast now. I have to go for an eye test in town so debating the 2 mile pleasant walk or the bus? Free as I am a pensioner.

Walk appeals but taking a coat:unsure:.

Strong winds were forecast. 

We were on an exposed hill in St Merryn near Padstow when storm Evert struck in the night (Wednesday/ Thursday) It was coming straight off the sea at Harlyn bay (visible from our pitch). Shook the caravan and flapped the air awning so we didn't get much sleep. It dropped by morning and the only damage was a couple of pegs had come out. Had the storm straps on and all guys out.  Around the site (THS at Higher Harlyn Park) some more flimsy awnings and tents had collapsed. Reminds me of the first outing we had with kids and grandkids 10 years ago when daughters Vango tent imploded and the the poles snapped. We condensed into one unit and carried on. Eight in a touring caravan is a little crowded. It was the same campsite.

It doesn't seem to want to let me edit my post. Storm Evert came trough on Thursday/Friday night and the wind was blowing from Constantine bay.

10 minutes ago, PaulHo said:

It doesn't seem to want to let me edit my post … …

Paul,  you can only edit your post up to about 20 minutes after posting.

Jim

On 23/07/2021 at 19:16, gtepete said:

Thanks for reminder, need to shut my van windows which is still parked on our drive as waiting for a new electric cooling  fan for our Mondeo to come from Germany...on top of replacing the turbo actuator, and a punctured tyre..which has delayed our to to Devon by a week...

FORD fix or repair daily. 

Ford

Found on road, dead! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

My only Fords have been the epitome of reliability - Sierra XR4x4, Mondeo ST24. Both were great cars.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco